TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

I am giggling reading this. I've been seriously considering those knee pads that roller bladers wear, once both my knees get healed. I have a horror of anything ever messing with my knees again! :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
I tripped on my walk this morning. I stumbled several steps, knew I was going to fall, and found a way to not land on my knees. It was a bizarre experience. I stumbled and fell in slow motion. I managed to not twist my ankle, and my knees were protected. I caught myself with my hands and rolled to the side, but the stumbling allowed me to fall in slow motion, somehow, and I didn't even skin my hands. I did a modified downward facing dog and stood easily. That answers the question about whether I can get onto the floor or not, I guess. LOL.
 
I've fallen 3 times since my TKR, twice forward and managed to steer away from my RTKR. The last time as outside behind my home on the patio. I was so sore I thought about just laying there for a while, but it was November and very cold. All three times no one was around for which I was grateful.
:gaah:
 
PolarBear, that's a hard way to discover you can get up off the ground! I wouldn't recommended. Thank goodness that you came out of it with nothing broken or scraped.
 
I don't recommend it either!

Amazingly, nobody was around for my acrobatics either, KarriB. Kind of thankful for that, since I didn't need any help. If I had needed help, it wouldn't have been long, since I was on a high traffic residential street half a block from home.
 
Oh, so glad you didn't have a major injury with that fall. Good recovery!

You're progress is wonderful. Congrats! I can't wait to take long walks after I get my other knee done in October.
 
Thank goodness you're OK. We all fear falling and try not to, but things happen.
 
I'm happy you were okay. I almost fell a few weeks ago but somehow I was able to get my feet back under me. I got my foot caught on the bottom of a wood palette. Strange thing though that it also seemed to happen in slow motion!:heehee:
 
So glad no damage! Hope you were able to just cocoon up and rest a bit after. A fall shakes you up, even if you don't hurt yourself.
 
I'm glad you managed to not land on either knee. How are you feeling today? Whenever I fall I end up aching in unexpected places.
 
Feeling good. Had a funny moment this morning as I was checking in to my appointment at the VA, my nurse practitioner's nurse asked if I had any falls.

Surprised, I answered, "Actually, yesterday."

She thought I was joking, but I said, "No. Really." And proceeded to explain.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Week 12 Update:

I'm in San Antonio this week doing yard work. It's my first time down here since my surgery, so you know the foliage is out of control. My husband was down here a week and a half ago, and he thoughtfully mowed the front yard.

First, the three-hour drive down was uneventful and presented no problems. Last year, I made my first drive at about the same time after my left knee surgery, and I iced all the way, stopped halfway and took a nap, and was pretty wiped out when I got here. None of those problems this year, for which I am thankful. I share that to illustrate how two knees on the same body can have entirely different results. It's worth noting that this knee could have been slower to recover than my left knee, too, which I admit would have been much more challenging to deal with mentally.

I have been taking no acetaminophen since my surgery (well, I think I did take it in two instances, but I don't count that as a regular thing). I am happy to not be taking that twice a day after doing so for the last ten years (at least). I was feeling a little sore and achy by Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. I believe the long layoff in operating the hedge trimmers and the 100-foot length of alley hedge I trimmed on Monday afternoon had something to do with that. My knees, for the most part, felt fine, but my forearms and wrists were sore. I also had a low-grade headache. Yesterday, I put together three essential oil blend capsules of copaiba, frankincense, and Idaho Balsam Fir and took three capsules spread throughout the day. I felt better this morning.

I have worked slowly and deliberately this week. When I got here on Sunday, I broke up the limbs that had fallen from a tree out front that my husband had dragged into the driveway. The trash guys picked them up on Monday morning. On Monday, I took care of trimming the hedge, bagging the debris, and our trash guys made a second pick up in the afternoon, leaving me with more room for yard debris than I might have had (I love my trash pick up guys down here -- they are proactive and frequently will make a second pickup if we've been working in the yard). Tuesday, I mowed the edge of the alley and the back yard. Then I ran the electric trimmer. I took a break, then trimmed the front hedge and bagged the debris. On Wednesday, I cut up more limbs and clipped off numerous hackberry and china berry upstart trees which had grown up in my absence. They were waiting for the trash guys this morning, and they took them all. This morning, I trimmed the side yard bushes and cut up a few more of the upstart trees and left them for the trash guys. Will they make a second pick up for me this afternoon, too? I hope so, but they certainly aren't required to do so.

Tomorrow, I can begin tackling the back corner of the back yard, which is horribly overgrown and has been for some time. I have a fallen dead tree to cut up back there, another dead tree that hasn't fallen yet, and numerous upstart and unwelcome hackberry and china berry trees. In addition, they are in a bed of shrimp plants which have grown completely out of hand. That's going to take me a couple of days to deal with. Then there's the grass that's spilling over onto the patio that must be excised and the patio hedge which requires trimming. I think I can make a dent in it by Sunday. On Monday, I'll mow the front yard and prepare to return to Central Texas on Tuesday. Whew.

I'm taking it easy, working a couple of hours each day at the most. The knee is fine. I'm trying to figure out how to characterize how it feels. It's not completely healed and it's not completely pain-free. Mostly, it feels sore in a mild, annoying way. The left knee feels much less annoying this way, which it should at a year and a half out from replacement. One of the sensations is of a gauziness that is ripping. I'm pretty sure that's the fascia underneath recovering, and I expect that will be a normal sensation as it continues to heal. The other sensation of a deep bruising, which, of course, sounds completely consistent with healing from the surgery as well.

Stamina is not what I would like; however, some of that may be consistent with me being 110 pounds overweight. I'm walking in the morning. I will build endurance, and, slowly, begin to take this weight off. I imagine that will help with stamina. I've lost about 10 pounds since February, so I was worse.

I'm typing this at Panera. I made a bathroom stop, and the handicapped stall was occupied, so I used the regular stall (with a really low seat), but I didn't have any trouble standing from the low seat. That's an improvement I'm pleased about.

I have noticed a tendency to turn sideways to come down the steps at the house (there are only two at this house), but that seems to be an accommodation to not having a hand rail. I will need to continue to make that an area to pay attention to and get my body retrained to not do that.
 
I am exhausted reading what all you have done and have still left to do! My knee would be screaming! You are doing fantastic! WOW!! You would think you were 16 years old! Please rest when you need to.
 
I've been resting since 10:30 this morning. LOL. Feeling slightly guilty, but I did what I'd planned to do for today.
 
:wowspring:after all that I think you deserve to rest, that was a lot of work, I think you should continue resting, lol
 
I'll tell you this, this stuff is a whole lot easier to do now that I've had my TKRs!
 
That's an impressive amount of yard work completed, Jean!
I'm glad you took it at a sensible pace, with plenty of rest.

I've often thought that it would be nice to have a second property, such as a holiday home, but always the thought of having to do an increased amount of maintenance has deterred me.
 
Wow. Thank you for posting that. It gives me great hope that I CAN get back to a normal life, given time. And without the grinding horror pain of bone on bone knees.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
You sure can, Shelia. It may or may not be on the timeline my recovery has been, but it's on your timeline.

Celle, there's a reason wealthy people get away with having more than one home -- they have staff to take care of the maintenance. In my case, my husband and I are the staff, which makes it a little less fun. At some point, my husband will put this property in San Antonio up for sale, and we won't have to deal with it. For now, he has a lot of repairs and renovations he believes need to be done before it can be put on the market, and I don't disagree with him. Some things (like finishing bricking the driveway) he needs to do himself. So many other things, I don't believe need to be done to his standards and could be hired out to just get the place ready to go, but he cannot accept that yet. So, I wait.
 
Back
Top Bottom