TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

Sounds like things are going well at three months. I am ready for that! And a hand too. Lots going on but I am sure you will be on that motorcycle soon :egypdance:
 
Week 15:

As I'm writing this, I'm tired. I'm achy. A touch grumpy. No grumpy isn't right. Impatient. I don't think it has anything to do with my knee replacement, but it might, so bear with me. My left TKR took care of one problem. The bone on bone pain from a deteriorating joint. It didn't do a thing for any of the other problems in my life. Getting the right TKR next year will take care of the bone on bone pain in that deteriorating joint. After that is completed, I anticipate being able to increase my activity level, but that alone will not be enough to magically make my extra hundred pounds of weight disappear. I've easily lost twenty pounds by diet alone several times in the last few years only to gain it back. I'll have to figure that problem out, and I'm not looking for or expecting to find the answer here. I'm mentioning it as a reminder to myself and anyone else who might need to hear it that the surgery can only do so much for us and it's easy to think it might do more.

On a happy note, one of my outdoor feral cats allowed me to pet him this morning. That had me smiling all day.

On to week 15. I'm resuming swimming pool work. One hour, twice a week, from now until the end of September. I'm going to add in two days per week on my recumbent stationary bike, starting at twenty minutes on level one and planning on working up to an hour. I don't believe my right knee will tolerate more than level one, but that activity will help keep the bone spurs at bay until next year when they will be removed. I'm resuming my full yard work schedule as tolerated, and the same with housework. As a result, I've found a need to resume icing and elevating in the afternoon and evening. I get tired. Just as most of us do when we return to work, which is, essentially, what I am doing this week.




Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Losing weight is one of the hardest things I've done. I lost 100lbs in 2006/2007. Since then I've gained a bit, lost a bit, gained a bit. Currently about 25lbs heavier than I want to be. It's hard. Really hard. But like knee surgery, so worth it in the end.

That's so cute re the kitty. Since losing my cat I'm always on the lookout for cats to say hi to when I'm doing my daily walk. I am a crazy cat lady and proud of it :snork:

Great re the swimming, biking and resuming of normal activities!
 
@PolarBear60 i have the same problem! No matter what I do I have great difficulty taking weight off and keeping it off. I swim 20 laps a day, ride 4 miles a day and nothing! My blood pressure is great 120/70 without BP meds and I know it's due to my activity, but Hashimoto's Disease makes it very difficult to lose weight, even with synthroid.
I need to up my biking milage to at least double it to 8 miles, but I get so bored! You have inspired me to try to go another mile today. I keep it at the lowest level for my left ouchy knee. Maybe we can encourage each other to be diligent with the biking? My swimming days will be over in a few weeks because I hate indoor pools, but I'll be starting school then so that will replace swimming.
 
Ah Jean, weight is so incredibly frustrating. I'm about 20 lbs. higher than I should be but it just as well be 200 for the way it's coming off. Like you, I am increasing activity level but it's not coming off like I would have hoped and my tkr is still new enough that I don't want to push so hard that it backfires.

We are a good place to come and be grouchy and we all care because we understand. Hugs my friend.

Roxie
 
Well increasing activity levels is only part of the equation. I need to eat less. When I do this, weight falls off or at least remains static (proven by monitoring my LoseIt! logs). What I'm trying to get my brain to act upon is the knowledge I can do this now!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Yep....someone once said to me that losing weight isn't about what you put in your mouth....it's about what goes on in your head.
 
I hear you PolarBear. I know what to do. Doing it is another story. :wink:
 
@PolarBear60 - just finished reading the last several pages of your journey.. (I'm just realized I had never done that.. :( ) Sounds like overall, you're doing really well with your recovery and overall activity level! Sounds wonderful for someone who just hit the 3 week post op point yesterday. Like you, I will likely need to have my other knee done.. in the not too distant future.. but also like you (and obviously others in this forum), I've struggled with weight my entire life. Some of us are just blessed with that "opportunity".. I lost about 70 pounds about 2.5 years ago (it felt SOO good!!) and really started to do more hiking and other activities - until my knee(s) started "talking" to me and I started me slowing down. Couldn't garden, couldn't go on the hikes I had been able to.. got to the point where all I could do was drive to work, get through the day and drive back.. get whatever limited housework done that I could.. (forget carrying the laundry basket downstairs by myself)... Of course over time, I started putting the weight back on.. and that is ALWAYS easier than taking it off!!!!!! :sad:

So far with this surgery, I've lost about 12 pounds and I'm hoping to control my HEAD as I move forward in the healing process for my knee. One thing for me is that not being at work and dealing with the stress there has helped.. I'm a little concerned about going back, just because of THAT factor.. :umm:

This has been a great forum for knee recovery support, and I'm sensing it can be a great support of other things we're working on our lives. I think we have all learned here, we are not alone.. :SUNsmile:

Hopefully with your new knee - and eventually your second new knee, that will help with the weight challenge.. I'm hoping that for myself. In the meantime, hope your mood improves.. Buy yourself some flowers to cheer you up. - that always helps for me.. And remember you have friends here in Bonesmartieland.. :yes:

:friends:
 
Week 16 (tomorrow):

I'm feeling MUCH better than last week. I'm less achy. I got two sessions in the pool last week, and they helped tremendously, especially with my sit to stand issues. I'm almost not wincing in anticipation of pain before I stand up from a chair now. Almost. I planned to go to the pool this morning, but we had an air conditioning issue that had to be handled. I'll plan to go Thursday and maybe again on Saturday to catch up.

I was very pleased to note level 1 on the recumbent bike was too low. I had to raise the level to level 2. Got two short sessions on that.

I had my first follow up for my carpal tunnel release today, and all is well there. The tingling is almost gone in my thumb. He wants me to begin massaging my incision area to get it loosened and softened. I've been putting shea butter on it, but I haven't actively been massaging it. He checked to make sure I still planned to do the right knee in April, and I confirmed as long as it continues to behave, that's the plan. The earliest I could do it with my schedule is November, and he reminded me if I need an injection to tide me over, he's happy to do that. So blessed to have this doctor right here. Personable, knowledgeable, and a darned good surgeon.

For those following along to get the answer to my riding the motorcycle question, the answer is an unqualified yes. He does recommend taking it slow at first (well, yes, of course, I haven't ridden in ten years -- I'll be riding the high school parking lot across the street perfecting my skills for the first couple of times out) and wearing gloves (that's to test the grip on the left hand for pulling in and releasing the clutch). I assured him I always wear gloves. I assess what might wind up sliding across pavement and make sure anything I want to keep from that experience is covered up with sturdy material. I still have to get it running, but now I know it's worth the effort.

16 weeks. Four months. I almost feel normal. What a shocker.

In other news, my Autochill System arrived for my Cryo-Cuff today.
 
Sounding very good! Gives my little 4 1/2 week old knee something to look forward to. Not motorcycle riding. Way too timid for that. But kayaking? Yes!
 
things sound great Jean,,l have 3 bikes sitting in the shop covered with dust,,insured and waiting,,l envy you riding, some day lol
 
Almost normal is fantastic, Jean! So glad for you that things are good! We just continue to improve and the long days of our early recovery are quickly fading -- thank goodness!!!

Roxie
 
Another one hour pool workout done. Felt really good about my squat work. In my recliner resting, elevating, and icing. Ahhhhh.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I love the pool too but found myself more motivated to go there when the grandkids were here. I'm just not as motivated to go there myself but need to get my rear in gear! You motivate me and I'm glad to hear how well you're doing!

Roxie
 
Roxie, I love that the hotel owners said I have to be there before noon. I go when they open at 9 am, and I have the pool to myself. On MWF a group of older gals show up to do their rehab, but they're kind of chatty, and I find it harder to do the work I've set out to do. Luckily, they come at 10, when I'm winding down, so I can chat for a few minutes as I'm cooling down and they are warming up. With the Texas heat, the pool temperature is ideal.

I got a print out of exercises from my PT before I finished with them (they were ecstatic to hear I was going to do pool work, and I understand why now -- it has helped). I have an album on iTunes that runs for 60 minutes and has 14 songs on it. I pair a Bluetooth water resistant headset, press play, and get in the pool. When the song changes, I change exercises. I made a cheat sheet list and put it in a zip loc bag to keep by the edge of the pool as a reminder. I sometimes need to remind myself to take it easy, but I enjoy the solitude and the exercise. I get bored long before this time on the recumbent bike.

I hope you find some time to enjoy the pool before summer's end.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom