TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

Here we are: 19 weeks (for the last several weeks, I have to pull out the calendar and count the weeks).

Mostly, I have returned to a normal life. That's not to say I have no issues. My biggest issue is my non-TKR knee, but I have items of interest on my TKR knee.

- The tight band feeling that plagues us so is mostly gone.
- A general "feeling" remains -- more in the quad area than anywhere else. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it may be a stiffness that isn't attributable to any one area.
- Since the TKR knee is pulling the full load on stairs, it's not happy about that. I've noticed a discomfort at the top of the knee coming down stairs now. I'm not happy about that either.
- If I try to go up or down stairs "normally," I notice my body has to try to compensate for my non-TKR knee, and that's not a good thing.
- I was hoping to wait to get a new custom made orthotic for my left foot until after my right knee was done, but I'm noticing arch problems.
- I have some stiffness in my left heel. I don't know whether to attribute that to TKR, having a 12" x 12" x 4" concrete block "slide" down my ankle a couple weeks ago, or if it's arch support-related. I do slow ankle pumps and rotations, and that helps.
- Earlier this week, I resumed my third dose of Extra Strength Tylenol in the afternoon for a few days. That helped. I'm not sure if I will make that a regular thing or not.

I live across the street from our local high school. Tonight I walked around the building (about three and a half blocks) to attend a meeting in the Performing Arts Center on the other side. I needed to do this, but my non-TKR knee complained. That's about the limit of my range. Again, this is not my TKR knee causing problems, it's the non-TKR knee.

I'm seriously considering having the knee done before April. The soonest I could do it is November. You're likely to hear me whine about this for several months. I'm sorry. Unlike many people who take some time to appreciate having the surgery, I have never, ever regretted having the knee done.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
PB, it sounds like you really want to fix your bad knee. And like it is time. I am now 7 weeks post-op and I can finally say that the worst of it is far behind me. And when you think about it that's not that much time to sacrifice for better days. Good luck with your decision.
 
Whine away. When I first decided to have my left knee done in October it was mainly a financial decision. But as I get slightly more mobile, my left knee reminds me why my OS calls it horrible. Our poor old knees have just had it. Can't wait until my left knee feels as good as my right. And dreading the whole dealio, of course.
 
It is natural to feel down after we go through so much pain and recovery after a joint replacement thinking "ahhhh NOW I can move forward with doing things" only to find out we STILL have something preventing us from reaching that goal. It's like the never ending quest... So when you are ready, go for it... Always forward, do what ya gotta do to make your life the best it can be...
 
It does sound as if you need to get that second TKR as soon as you can, Jean. I know how much my left knee deteriorated soon after I had my right TKR, and it seemed to negate some of the benefits of the TKR. In addition, instead of moving forward with a new knee, the left knee slowed me down and I lost some general fitness, which I am still struggling to regain.
 
You seem to be getting some knowledgeable advice. I'm sorry your non-op knee is giving you trouble now, but it seems like an earlier surgery date might not be a bad idea. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
 
We are in the same place, Jean. My left knee is achy and sore after a day of teaching. I try to go up my stairs at least once a day using my just my left leg (have to go straight legged, pulling on the handrail). It's not as bad as the right was when I got it done though, so I may be able to hold off. I have always been grateful I had my knee done, however my complications give me pause when I think about the left knee. Then there's the fact that I don't want to let the parents of my students down, as is have to leave them in the hands of a substitute. First grade is a beast of a year and so very important.
Whine away and I may be joining in.
 
I have found, when I focus on keeping with it, that loosing weight is a balancing act. On the one hand you have to trick your body into thinking you area not dieting or starving. It will slow your metabolism and store more fat if it knows you are. So you have to eat regularly and not allow hunger pains. It's what you eat and the calories that make the difference. Lots of vegetables and ruffage with lower caloric counts. Drinking lots of water, one gallon a day minimum. Increasing supplement in take. No sweet drinks, no soda or diet soda, both have either calories or sodium bi-carbonate and increase water retention. Daily activity to include cardiovascular requirements. Combining these all in a balance and consistency will make the weight drop off. I have managed to eliminate 45 pounds. At least until my recovery faultered. Now my activity levels are way down and I spend my days fighting my knee. Weight has inched on some, but I am holding it at bay with diet alone and making no reduction gains. So you see it's a full package.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Polar Bear, it sounds like you may well need to consider having the other knee done sooner rather than later. I'm only about a week or so behind you and am about at the same place -- everything is mostly good but I still have the odd pain now and then that annoys me. Tylenol works for me too but I am taking the extended release kind -- two in the morning and two at night before bed. Sometimes I use a little Voltaren gel on the sore area and that helps.

This really is a journey, isn't it? :)
 
Twenty weeks, which, I guess is five months. It seems to me the five month mark should fall around the 21st of September, since I had my surgery on the 21st of April, but what do I know? By the week count, at four weeks per month, this is five months. Must be the two months we had with extra weeks stuck in that are throwing me off.

I've reached the point where updating here weekly seems silly, because I'm not experiencing significant changes measurable by the week anymore. I can't say my knee is fully healed -- it isn't, but there's nothing significant to report either. When I finished physical therapy in July, they asked me what percentage I thought I was at in the healing process. I told them 90%. That raised eyebrows. By my estimation, I'm still in the low 90s percentage-wise.

On Saturday, I was driving us through a neighboring community's Citywide Garage Sale, and my right knee began hurting so much, I had to turn the driving over to him. Yesterday, my husband wanted to shop for a new flatbed scanner, and while we were out, he wanted to look at chest freezers. In anticipation of the non-TKR knee continuing it's antics, I wore my sleeve and offload brace for yesterday's shopping trip. I also took my cane, using it for the non-TKR knee. This worked well. I was able to walk enough to know that my TKR knee performed like a champion. No troubles at all with it. We traveled through Staples, Office Depot, Best Buy, Home Depot, Walmart, Lowe's, and Sears. He suggested the electric carts each time there was one, but I felt comfortable walking. (If you have any doubt at all, always borrow the electric carts -- they can make or break your shopping experience.)

I see my OS on the 21st for a follow up for my carpal tunnel release from July. I'm going to ask him to do a steroid injection in the right knee with hopes it will reduce the hassles I will have with that knee on our annual trek to Hershey, PA, in October. I do the driving for that trip, so I'm concerned. I have plenty of ice bags for that trip. I bought an electric scooter earlier this year, and that will be on the trip with us. I'll use it to perform my "mule" duties with the goodies my husband finds at the swap meet and for at least one huge antique mall (it's in a former manufacturing facility, I think) he wants to stop at. Last year, I spent most of my time hobbling from one bench to the next in the place. This year, I'll ride the scooter through, and I should be more comfortable. By 2016, I anticipate maybe not needing it at all -- that would be a treat.

For those of you wondering if you'll ever be able to do something normal again, yes, you will. Keep being patient. Test yourself just a little as you try new things, and you'll save yourself the agony of the OverDidItClub. There's no shame in joining the club, but, please, please, please, don't keep sending yourself there.
 
Can I just chime in and say that I really enjoy your weekly updates so please continue with them? They give hope to us that are behind you and they are also very informative and entertaining! And I feel that your last paragraph was written especially for me :whistle:. Thanks!
 
LOL. Thanks, Raffs. My last paragraph was written especially for you only if you needed to hear it. ;) We all need to hear that at one time or another.

I'll probably keep doing a weekly update if only so I can find my thread!
 
Bookmark it (or click on your avatar, click on Postings, scroll to bottom of the page, click on Find all threads by PolarBear60 ;) )!

You are six days and no MUA ahead of me. ;)

I would say I'm close to feeling maybe 80%? I'd really like to get my extension to 0. Not sure what it is, but I keep working on it. I think the stupid goniometer app isn't as accurate for extension as it is for flexion.

I do much better at walking these days... it's when I stop I feel it, so I don't want to do too much and join the ODIC. Gotta keep moving at my pace though too slow my knee will start to bother me, and same with keeping up with hubby.

Been letting my fingers shop for a flatbed scanner since mine died over the summer. What did you end up buying?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No worries, tigz. I put the link in my signature, so I can always get to it.

As for the scanner, he got an Epson V370.
 
It's nice to read how it is going at a later time with this knee stuff. Thanks for the update!
 
So glad to hear you're making so good progress. I'm about 6 weeks behind you and completely agree with what you've said. While I'm not 100% yet, I can say I feel great and know things are just going to continue improving.
 
San Antonio lawn mowed. TKR knee feels good. A little tight but no worse than first thing in the morning. Non-TKR knee is tired and complaining. Both are elevated and resting. Forgot to bring ice packs and no ice so just resting for now.

This is a quarter acre lot, and I use a walk behind mower for this yard. Got it all done in less than two hours, so that's good.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom