TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

All done. No jacuzzi, but the pool water was comfortable. Not even chilly. The filtration jets seemed to create a current to work against. I'm glad I went at nine instead of at ten, because the local ladies show up at ten for their water "therapy," and they're pretty chatty. I had most of my routine done when they showed up, so I can plan on relaxing for a few minutes after they arrive to make a nice cool down.

I felt pretty noodly after the hour, but recovered quickly enough to help my husband with some scaffolding when I got home. I hope I don't feel sore later.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
That's a great report at 11 weeks, @PolarBear60 :yes!::happydance::yay:


I'm glad the swelling is nearly gone.

I had that area of darkened skin for several months. My OS said it is iron deposits, from the bleeding and bruising, and that it could last for life. However, it went away at about a year after surgery.

Good to know. The darkened area is shrinking, so I believe it will be gone before the year is out. That explanation makes a lot of sense.
 
In addition to rehabbing the R knee, I'm trying to strengthen the L so it can be replaced in mid-August (provided I got of the post-op Oxy in the next couple of weeks) LOL.

Christa


RTKA 8 June 2015

Christa, I'm also working at strengthening my right knee for exactly the same reason. Planning for an April replacement, as long as it holds up that long.
 
All done. No jacuzzi, but the pool water was comfortable. Not even chilly. The filtration jets seemed to create a current to work against. I'm glad I went at nine instead of at ten, because the local ladies show up at ten for their water "therapy," and they're pretty chatty. I had most of my routine done when they showed up, so I can plan on relaxing for a few minutes after they arrive to make a nice cool down.

Glad the first session went well. How often do you plan on working in the pool? After I have my first session next Wednesday, we can compare notes on the exercises...
 
I like the Fitbit One, because I carry it in my pocket. It emails me when I need to charge it, otherwise, I just transfer it from pocket to pocket. At night, I clip it on my pajama top (T-shirt). The iPhone app works well, but you can access the dashboard from a webpage.

I have the Fitbit Flex and really like it because it's water proof. I can wear it in the pool and it counts my steps. It didn't seem to count the steps when I was on the elliptical which is a bummer. If you post your fitbit name we can challenge and encourage each other.
 
I read that you blog and write. Just curious about what you blog and write about if you don't mind messaging me that information.
Thanks, Christa
 
I forgot to mention. Morning before yesterday, I dreamed I was running -- that glorious, smooth run when everything's working right. I was surprised.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Second one hour pool session today. I couldn't ask for a better water temperature.

I am tired. Knees are mildly achy. I worked at deep squats for about three minutes (the length of a song). That seems to be paying dividends in sit-to-stand efforts outside water, and it feels effortless in water.

I have no idea what my flexion is, but it doesn't seem to be much more than 90. In some positions, I know it is much better than that. The knee is functioning well, so I don't suppose it matters.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Glad the pool is really working out for you. I am really looking forward to starting my in pool PT on Wednesday. 3 minutes of squats seems like a lot. Are you holding them or doing the quickly? Wonder if 3 sets of 10, holding to a count 5 would as good as timing the activity?
 
Three sets of ten would be just fine.

I had the best week in quite some time on my Fitbit this week. Activity levels are rising, slowly but surely.
 
Twelve weeks/Three Months Post-Op

My husband clearly thinks I'm fully recovered and is slightly impatient that I'm proceeding cautiously. I have two more sessions of physical therapy, and I think we've done most of what we can do. The last couple sessions have been repetitive, but I have an fill-in therapist while mine is on much-deserved vacation. He will be back for my final session, so we can discuss anything then.

I'm beginning to see some definition in my TKR knee. I thought it was gone forever, but it's beginning to appear. I did two pool sessions. Both knees are tired and muscle sore, but in a good way. The pool sessions have helped with my low seating problems (pain upon sit-to-stand is down to 2-3 vice 5-6), and additional pool work will help, but that won't happen until mid-August based upon my schedule.

I haven't needed my cane for over a week. I keep a folding cane in the truck "just in case," but it's more for my right knee than my left. I'm comfortably grocery shopping without worrying about pain. I think it's been three weeks or more since I used a cart, and I probably won't bring my cane in to shop any more, even for Walmart, Lowe's, or Home Depot. I used the cane last week out at the ranch, because I was walking on uneven ground.

Stairs are a mixed bag. I can do them "normally," but it requires attention and handrail help. In therapy today, on the thirtieth repetition, I did lower my right foot to where my heel just touched the ground at one level up on the aerobics step. That was a first.

I'm not experiencing much pain in the traditional sense. Still some stiffness, but it's greatly reduced from a couple of weeks ago. The stiffness is very slight top and bottom of knee as well as along the outer side. More pronounced in the morning, but it subsides quickly to a feeling of tension.

Stamina is still returning. I can do most things, but after a couple of hours, I will need a rest. Sometimes with icing and sometimes just a rest. Sometimes I have to recline in the recliner, and sometimes I can sit at the computer and do various things.

I have my 12-week follow-up with my OS tomorrow, and I think he'll be pleased. Then, on Thursday, he's going to take care of my carpal tunnel problem. I'm not sure how much I'll be typing for a week or so after that.
 
Oh I forgot you and I were surgery buddies for Thursday!! Carpal Tunnel is a breeze in comparison to your LTKR I am sure!!! The big mitt is a pain though...... Best of luck to you. I am so glad you are doing so well with your knee. You know how much I love these success stories!!!
 
My hubby seems to think I'm further along than I am... Which is crazy given my MUA "setback" AND the fact he has friends that have told him "she won't feel close to normal until six months". I just keep reminding him gently. :-)

Good luck with the carpal tunnel surgery!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Jean,

Sounds like you're making great progress! I've really enjoyed reading your posts. Good luck with the Carpal Tunnel release on Thursday.


RTKA 8 June 2015
 
@PolarBear60, carpal tunnel release is really just an annoyance more than anything. I had my left one done (along with two trigger finger releases) on Dec. 22. I still hosted Christmas dinner for the family. Just hard to take a shower and wash your hair with a plastic bag on your hand. I need the other one done, but decided not to do it over the summer. I work in a school and I'm just tired of spending all my school breaks recovering from surgery or procedures. Maybe next year... Good luck!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I figure after TKR, it will be a breeze. An inconvenience for about a week, but I think it's a good time to get it out of the way. Thankfully, my right hand isn't bothering me much, so it was easy to decide to only do one (but I am left-handed, so it will be more of an inconvenience). Fortunately, I have some ambidextrous capabilities. Same surgeon as my knee, so I know he'll do a good job.

@tigz , I let him push me a little, but he's receptive to me telling him when it's too much, so it works well.

@iivesfam5 you win for the tougher surgery! Grin. Got a show time of 7:15 am, so I anticipate I'll be feeling chipper well before you do, so I'll be praying for a good outcome and look forward to seeing you here as soon as you feel up to it.
 
My father in law has just had it done and appears to have breezed through it easily. As you say, after a TKR it'll be a walk in the park (no pun intended)!
 
Back
Top Bottom