TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

Six week check up with OS.

He's pleased. Incision looks good. He eye-balled range of motion and estimates I'll pick up another ten degrees or so. He's happy with extension and thinks I'll double my improvement by the time I see him in twelve weeks. I can quit PT whenever they think I'm ready (but my prescription runs through the end of the month). He's not too worried about the back pain. He says the warmth in the knee is normal (I thought so, too, so hadn't asked). He said walking will be good for it, so I'm going to work on building my stamina by walking more.

Although it's a moot point now, I asked if he would have done a bilateral if I'd asked. He says he has done them, but he's very careful about when he does them. In his view, the risk is much greater than just two independently done knees. He prefers the three month break between operations. But for a young, healthy, highly motivated patient, he's willing to consider it. More a philosophical discussion than a practical one, obviously, for me, but I enjoyed hearing his thoughts.

I stopped taking the Aleve three nights ago and have not noticed any problems. Prior to surgery, I was taking two morning and two evening Tylenol-equivalents. My short term goal is to get back to that. After I get my right knee done next year, my long-term goal is to not take any Tylenol on a regular basis. He believes that's a reasonable expectation.

I was feeling so good, I walked out of the office and forgot to schedule my next appointment. I'll stop in on Tuesday and take care of that. Yes, I could call, but I like dealing with them in person.




Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Great report! Although, I would do anything to avoid having to stop in at my OS's office - there are 6 doctors and it is a ZOO!!!
 
Just the Tylenol, Roxie. Three times a day. I'll be cutting down to twice a day as able. Not sure when I'll be comfortable doing that, but probably soon.

JennyLynne, my surgeon is the only one at my clinic, so most of the time, I feel as if he has all the time in the world for me. Obviously, that's not the case, but he's good with people. I'm very pleased with his surgical ability.

I chose this clinic for my primary and supplemental care because I can walk in and talk to someone without making an appointment. It's a front desk person at each doctor who assesses the situation and recommends what to do. That may be making an appointment, it may be calling back and talking to a nurse, or it may be suggesting I walk over to the First Med clinic just inside the clinic doors to be seen right away by a physician. But I get immediate satisfaction nearly every time.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Make sure it isn't your hips instead of lower back that is adjusting, I found that all my old shoes had wear patterns on the heels from compensating for my bad knee. Once i got all new shoes it helped my hips and knee adjust to my new gait and posture and i didn't feel the lower back pain anymore. Ankle and other pains all seem to be adjustments and are short term I believe.
 
Is sleeping getting any better for you, @PolarBear60 ?

@RLK -- you and others have mentioned the need for new shoes. I think I am going to go out and look for some this weekend. Good idea.


Roxie
 
One pair of shoes I'm wearing is relatively new, but I removed my orthotic from the operative knee shoe and replaced it with the standard insert. The other pair of shoes I wear as everyday shoes, however, has a lot of wear on them (also removed the operative foot orthotic), and they should be replaced. I appreciate the reminder. I have two pair of shoes sitting in my Amazon cart, so I can fix this problem right now!

I would say sleeping is better for me, Roxie. Prior to surgery, I'd wake up pretty much every two hours. After surgery, I did, too, but now I'm mostly sleeping from around 1 am to 4:30 or five before waking up and going back to sleep until between 6:30 and 7, when I naturally like to begin my day. If I go to bed before 1 am, I've noticed I wake up between midnight and 1:30 before going back to sleep. Periodically, I'm just not ready to sleep, so I read or do something else until I'm tired enough or relaxed enough to sleep. That's my normal pattern, and the surgery hasn't bothered it much.

I use my Fitbit to track sleep, and my goal is seven hours a night. According to my latest weekly report, I'm averaging 7 hours and 10 minutes a night, awakening an average of six times a night, and it takes me an average of 19 minutes to fall asleep each night. Fascinating tool that Fitbit.
 
I have wanted a Fitbit for a while, but my knee issues limited my physical activity this past year and I thought it might be depressing to see it broadcast loud and clear. Silly.

Speaking of silly - my company is having a "steps" contest right now. We were all put on teams and given pedometers, and have to report our steps each week. My team captain keeps harassing me. Does he want to know all the steps I take to the bathroom and back??!!
 
I like the Fitbit One, because I carry it in my pocket. It emails me when I need to charge it, otherwise, I just transfer it from pocket to pocket. At night, I clip it on my pajama top (T-shirt). The iPhone app works well, but you can access the dashboard from a webpage. They also have an Android app if that's your preference. I got it to automatically track steps, but the sleep data is fascinating.

For dietary tracking, I use the LoseIt! app -- it interfaces with the Fitbit app. I track food in LoseIt! and water in Fitbit. There's a small learning curve for knowing what to track where when you link everything, but once you get it figured out, you don't have to think about it.

Oh, and I have a Withings scale for the same reason -- automatic tracking.
 
My Fitbit Zip has been in rest mode since the first of the year. :-(
 
It was kind of fun to have the Fitbit in my pocket during recovery. I could watch my activity levels climb.

Week of surgery: 5,434 steps
Week 1: 8,804 steps; average sleep duration 6 hours, 31 minutes (I didn't take the fitbit to the hospital with me)
Week 2: 16,572 steps; average sleep duration 6 hours, 44 minutes
Week 3: 23,437 steps; average sleep duration 7 hours, 19 minutes
Week 4: 21,563 steps; average sleep duration 7 hours, 42 minutes
Week 5: 29,591 steps; average sleep duration 7 hours, 10 minutes
 
Those are some pretty impressive numbers!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Maybe I'll start with week #6 post op on Monday. Part of the problem was that as my gait got a little strange it stopped counting steps.

You've done great! It's a fun way to keep track of your movement, and challenge yourself.

If there are enough folks here interested someone could create a Fitbit group. It's fun to keep in touch with people via a group. I've not created any groups but am a rather inactive member of two groups.
 
I made two laps around the small block for twelve minutes of walking this morning. I started this a couple weeks ago, but got sidetracked with doing other things and ran out of energy. My surgeon mentioned again at my follow up that walking is good. So I've rededicated myself to building stamina and endurance by walking. It's also cheap and can be done anywhere.

I ordered new shoes yesterday. I'm not sure if shoes are contributing to the back issues or not, but just in case...I love my GEL-Nimbuses. Finding them in a tolerable color scheme is a challenge.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Great to get out for a short walk- the fresh air does so much for the mind.

Sneaker colors are crazy right now! I love Brooks Ravenna, and both my pairs practically glow in the dark!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom