TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

Message sent. So far, the balancing doesn't have any long-term negative effects. In the immediate-term, it's uncomfortable.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Curious, I started with the board with two feet and then went to just trying to stand on a flat surface with one operative foot, that was hard. I can't imagine on the bogo half ball untill you can do one foot on flat ground.
Not sure, guess PT 's has there own ideas
 
I hadn't thought about that. I'll ask her about it on Thursday. It's her last day, then she returns to school (she's a grad student), but the overseeing therapist didn't say anything. Probably because I didn't ask. Anytime I've told them something is too much, they've presented an easier option to get me to the more difficult point. Thanks for mentioning this.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
My PT told me that some balance sensors are taken off with the bone when TKR is done so balance exercises are important to retrain the body to use other sensors in their place.

The first time I did one balance exercise my gluts kept on trying to balance even after I had grabbed the bar, it was pretty strange the way they were twitching as I shifted weight while safely resting between sessions. Sort of wish I had the same foam that PT has, I cannot find anything that is quite as diabolical to work on. I have horrible balance and just doing that stuff for a few minutes is a pretty good workout.
 
Hey @PolarBear60 - just caught up on your thread - you are doing really well - good on you. Getting our and about and doing things that are "normal" is such a restorative. Keep up the good efforts - cheers Maggie x
 
Thanks, Maggie. I'm pleased with how everything is going in my recovery.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@wberry , your reminder got me talking to them about the "easier" balancing device, and, Voila! She checked several options while I was warming up on the bike, and we tried two possibilities, and I was in business, feeling like I was making progress balancing on one leg. Everything was firing -- she could see it, I could feel it, and I didn't have to hang on for the whole three minutes. I did step off and regroup toward the end, but today's balancing session was much more productive.

I took a short walk this morning and really noticed the clunking. More than the clunking was what felt like a vibration through my thigh, up my body, to my head in addition to the clunk. That was strange. No pain. Just an odd feeling. This either goes away or I get used to it, right? The old knee, however, complains before I get ten minutes into my walk. Sigh. The new knee clunks happily along.

I wished my student therapist a fond farewell today. She heads back to classes at Tennessee State. Next Thursday I'm scheduled for a re-eval, so they will compare where I am from where I started with them and make plans from there. I'm certain I'll benefit from a little more work. I do see progress each session.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Three laps around the small block today for 17 minutes of walking. I think I figured out the "clunk." When I slightly exaggerate picking up my foot when I walk, the clunk goes away, so I believe it's a gait issue. Interesting. I'll check with PT on Tuesday, but if that's what it is, what an easy way to discover when I'm not walking properly! The clunk is annoying enough that I'm going to want to walk correctly.

I take my cane, but more to support my old knee, because it begins complaining between 8 and 10 minutes of walking.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just caught up with your thread. Sounds like you're doing great - well done and keep it up. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your recovery as it unfolds.
 
Hi @PolarBear60 my other TKR went through a stage of clunking. It doesn't do it now xx you're doing soooo well, congratulations xx
Thank you. I'd heard about the clunk, and I knew it either went away or people got used to it, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover I could make it go away with a slight change in how I walk. I want to make sure that change is appropriate for proper gait, though. I've been walking like a troglodyte for so long...I'm thinking this "new" way may be the right way to walk.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I forgot to take my afternoon Tylenol yesterday. Felt fine until around 8pm -- too late to take it and just a bit early for my evening dose. Pain/discomfort between 2-3, so not that bad. But I got a little behind the pain management curve, and that carried over through this morning.

I did get litter boxes scooped, trash out, upstairs hallway vacuumed (upstairs AC units are scheduled to be replaced this week), outside cat petted (very important), and corner hedge trimmed. Icing and elevating. Did well until halfway through the hedge. Managed to finish, but it's time to rest.

Eight weeks tomorrow.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Bummer on forgetting the Tylenol. Are you still using the extra strength? I hope you slept okay in spite of it. Sometimes I think I should be able to go completely without anything for pain but then my knee reminds me otherwise.

Sounds like a productive day!

Roxie
 
Roxie, is there anything but extra strength? Grin! I have a reminder of the phone, but I ignored it yesterday. When I went to bed, I added the Aleve in with the Tylenol. That helped. I haven't been using the Aleve for two weeks now, but I decided last night would be a good time for the boost. I slept okay but still felt a little stiffer this morning than usual. I'll get caught up today.

Jenny, cat petting wasn't specifically on my to do, but when she came out from under the porch steps after I put the trash out, I couldn't ignore her! She's tamer than two of my indoor ferals (who are either her kittens, or she's their aunt). This is her from a few weeks ago, also by the back steps.

[Bonesmart.org] PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)



Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Hi @PolarBear60 just caught up on your thread.....we have the same surgical date, I was going along nicely until last weekend, when I caught stomach flu :sick: which in turn causesd hemroedes :eeeuw: and the dreaded backache,
I'm feeling on the mend again,and my knee continues to move forward, I take pain killers if I have a trip out. My scar is still tender and raised but I think that's parr for the cause! :flwrysmile: Thanks for sharing I was beginning to feel a bit defeated, I'm feeling better know. :thankyou:
 
It's always something, isn't it, @Littlelady58 ? I'm glad to read you're on the mend again and moving forward. That's certainly a better feeling. My scar is healing well and not too sensitive, but every now and then, it feels like hundreds of little nerves are all connecting at the same time. Not intensely, but mildly (thank goodness!).

Improvements continue in ever so many incremental ways. I find it quite fascinating. But my right knee is not, as so many say, feeling better because any strain is off it. It's complaining, so far at a low level, but it wants it's turn!
 
Hi Jean,

I just read that you also have a history of lower back pain. I also have about a 20 year history of lower back pain due to stenosis and bulging disks. I actually started taking anti-inflammatory meds due to that. Mine would flare up about 1 or 2 times a year even on the meds and I'd take it easy and ice, due some exercises that I had been taught by a PT many years ago and that would help significantly. For me, laying on the floor in a prone position, (tummy down) and lying my arms next to my sides, fingertips pointing down towards my toes, would help a lot. I would initially feel a painful stretch, but as I laid on the floor in that position for about 5-10 minutes, the pain would subside. Then I would take my arms and place in front of me and prop them so that I could lift my upper torso off the floor half way for about 5 minutes. (It's hard to explain here.) Then lift my upper torso up all the way with my hands. It's amazing how much that exercise helped to alleviate the pain. The PTA gave me exercises to do a few weeks ago that flared up my back, so I stopped doing those. Having back and knee pain is no fun, so I understand what you go through. I did the exercises again when my back flared up and it still helped a lot! I hope you feel better soon. You and I are exactly at the same point in our recovery and I notice our stories are very similar. I think we may both tend to be doers and find it hard to rest as much as we should and then the exhaustion sets in. Today is one of those, force myself to rest days to help recover! Take care of YOU Jean!!
 
PS Jean, I was beginning to be able to go a day without a pain med and since my last PT session last Thursday, I had to begin taking the pain meds again a few times a day. I guess we need to remember that there is a lot of healing still going on inside our knees and if we need meds, we need to take them! Feel better!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom