TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

Thank you, @MidwestTKR I know that exercise but haven't done it for a long time. Now might be a good time to try it. It will help me overcome my discomfort with getting down on the floor, too. (Before surgery, I used Downward Facing Dog as a way to get up and down when I had to chase cats out from under the bed, so I'll probably use that again.)
 
Tarzan helps me by licking the condensation off the ice pack.
[Bonesmart.org] PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)



Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Woo hoo! Ask and you shall receive. We worked on gait (cool exercises for that) today as well as chair height and stair steps. My recovery trifecta! Love my PT people!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I start back tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it. I had such a great experience last year.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PolarBear60 I am just icing when there is obvious swelling and after talk with my PT am using a bit of non dry heat packs for comfort at times. It really helps and doesn't stiffen things up like the ice does. Great to hear that the gait helped with the clunking stuff. I was also told "Motion is Lotion" to the knee as long as not over done which is also what prompted my using the heat at times to keep it all loose. It is kinda fun learning to walk properly again and fun to show folks or listen to the comments that it looks a lot better than before :)
 
I'm debating on using heat. Most of my swelling is on the upper area of my knee now, and daily swelling appears as a stiffness. I do a lot of flexing and extending when it feels tight, and that usually makes me feel better. I ice when I've been doing more than I should, either in activities or standing.

It is fun learning to walk properly again.
 
8 weeks, two days update:

I waited until today, because I had a PT re-eval and wanted to give the numbers, although I'm not particularly concerned about them. Everything is improving.

Extension measures at 4
Flexion, I think, measured at 110 or more. I don't really remember.

I'm improving in all areas, but still have much more I want to be able to do. I'm better at the sit to stand, but it still hurts. I'm better with stairs, but I still have to think about them. When I'm not tired or in a hurry, I can do them normally while bracing myself with both hands. If I need to move a little faster or am tired, I toddler them with both hands. We've just begun working on gait, which is not bad but can use some improvement.

Most of my discomfort is behind the knee where hamstrings and calf muscles connect. I believe this is normal, and we're working on it. I barely notice the tight band feeling. It becomes more pronounced when I've been standing for more than an hour or when I'm tired, which is to be expected.

My incision is well-healed and becoming less noticeable. Most swelling is above the knee, exacerbated today by a long day with a visit to my primary care physician, PT, and an extra 80 miles round trip to Fort Hood to pick up prescriptions with the accompanying walk in from the parking lot to the basement pharmacy (I use my handicap tag when I go out there).

I initiated the process today to get my left carpal tunnel problems fixed (I'm left-handed). I have an appointment next week with my surgeon (same guy who did my knee) to get going. I asked him unofficially a couple of weeks ago, and he said he'd be happy to do it.
 
I couldn't figure out how to edit the last entry to attach, so here's the 8 week incision photo, after a long day of running around.
[Bonesmart.org] PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)



Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@PolarBear60

You are doing ever so well. Your scar is lovely and neat. Well done, you're clearly doing everything right xxx

I am so very pleased for you! Btw I love the pic of Tarzan licking the condensation off the ice :flwrysmile:

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
That is a nice looking scar!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have to credit my surgeon for the scar. He does good work. Inside and out.

I had planned to spend my recovery with my beloved Natasha, a seal point Siamese, but she died the day after my surgery. Tarzan has done his best to be by my side throughout my recovery, helping me any way he can.

@sabbath , I'm following your recovery, too, and cheering for you.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I am so sorry to hear about Natasha. My heart goes out to you. I lost my beloved cat Patti (my profile photo) to cancer on May 10th and miss her so much.

Good looking scar and great progress update.
 
Thank you @Raffs . I've always admired your profile kitty. I'm so sorry to hear you lost her.
 
Nine weeks yesterday. For me, these are the Dark Days of Recovery. It's all about the process, because as far as I can tell, everything is going well. I have minimal pain. Physical therapy is helping me resolve each of my concerns, and I'm seeing incremental progress. I do very little exercise-wise, because the movement I do for everyday life wears me out. Laundry, dishes, lawn mowing (riding mower), weed whacking (2.5 batteries at a time), driving the 80 mile round trip to therapy and doctor appointments (June is when all my annual/semi-annual appointments come due) and the associated shopping that goes with "while I'm in the bigger town," and other sundry items. Most housework is not getting done. Beyond scooping litter boxes, taking the trash out, dishes, and laundry, everything else is piling up. If I have a bit of extra energy, I'll spend a few minutes taking care of something here and there. If I don't have something else scheduled, I'll walk around the small block. I can do 17 minutes before my non-operative knee complains too much. My TKR knee is mostly happy. It gets stiff and tight if I am on it for more than two hours, but it recovers to just a regular degree of tightness quickly.

Last Thursday, my PT had me walk backwards on an inclined treadmill for several minutes. Both knees felt pain at about a 3 when we were finished. That night, I knew it was too much for both, but by the next day, my TKR was fine. My non-op knee was swollen and sore. I went in to PT on Tuesday, and he asked how things were, and I told him my non-op knee hurt after the treadmill. He said, "We won't be doing that again!" We worked on other things that will get me to the same end point. After our session, he offered ice for both knees, which I gratefully accepted. I think I have seven sessions left on my prescription, and I plan to make the most of them.

I'm tired. Behind my eyes and in my lungs tired. I'm trying to spend more time in my recliner during the day. I take a nap in the afternoon, and I'm making sure I get to bed earlier. I know there are people who would dearly love to have my problems compared to what they are dealing with in their recoveries. I especially wish my surgery buddy @sabbath were closer to me in his recovery (you'll get there!).

Our washer started leaking last week, so I had to take laundry to the the laundromat this morning. Lord! That was exhausting! So much easier to be able to piecemeal laundry than doing it all at once.

I'm fine. Just a little whining. Have some cheese, please. Thanks for listening.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Jean, I must say your activity schedule made ME tired and I'm not in recovery! Please remember that you are still recovering and if there is any way to slow down your "life" activities a bit more for a while, do it. If not, then just try to rest as much as you can. Skip any walks that aren't mandatory....you don't need them!

As you recognize, your new knee is performing beautifully. What you're feeling is still some of the energy drain associated with surgery. It takes many months to get stamina back. Be easy on yourself. You're a super star!!!
 
Okay. I'll confess. I don't do that in a single day. It takes about a week. Laundry this morning put me in the recliner to rest and ice. Doctor appointment this afternoon, then some computer work.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Okay.....I'm relieved now....:heehee:. You had me going!!!:rofsign:
 
Hi Jean,

You and I are at the same time frame postoperatively and I can echo what you said. I see much improvement from where I was, but still have a long way to go. My energy level is improved a moderate amount, but I still get tired from doing too much or just because things are still healing inside, I wind up taking cat naps some days, but thankfully, don't seem to need a 1 1/2 - 2 hour nap any more unless I did not get good sleep the night before!! :) Still having trouble sleeping at night a few days a week. I have a great deal of tightness in the knee still as well as that hypersensitivity that we all talk about, pain when my foot is in a dependent position and a little pain when I get up from a sitting position to standing. I walk with the cane when I am outside for stability, but at least it's getting better. You have come a long way too and I am sure we will both be so happy at the end of the year when we see how far we have come and know it will have been worth it!!

For me, I am pretty ticked off at my short term disability carrier. I paid premiums for 22 years and they cut off my benefits on June 15, just found out yesterday when my check was less than I was expecting. Their medical review has to now review the PT notes to determine if they feel I am disabled, even though my OS office completed and all the paperwork before surgery and right after my operation that I am to be out of work for 12 weeks!! The insurance adjuster made a comment that the ROM looked great (leading me to believe that is the determining factor) and he would send it on for medical review. I will be so annoyed if they think I am not entitled to my disability checks, just because my ROM is good, plus they should NOT be making a determination just based on PT Notes. That is ridiculous!!!! I still have lots of symptoms. I am praying it does not come to that and I am anxiously awaiting a call back today from the adjuster.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom