TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

Yay for new shoes. I actually like bright colored shoes -- at least I don't FEEL boring when I wear them! I took my walk this morning and need to take my afternoon walk but it's about 99% humidity right now so I'm having trouble getting motivated. All the rain we had in May has morphed into humidity and mosquitoes in June.

Roxie
 
I hope the shoes help, alot has to do with gait and over compensating for the pain, so we stress other parts to make up for protecting the new knee. Mine is a bit complicated by having had Polio in the other leg so I am very aware what good boots can help with. Just take it easy on the walks and get something with cushion and new and it'll all be ok I am betting :) If you are like me you are enjoying the diff kind of pain, not a bone pain anymore so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
 
Yes, @RLK , I am not missing the bone on bone pain, and I'm convinced what I'm experiencing now is a compensation issue. Nobody has said there's anything wrong with my gait, but I feel me doing it wrong sometimes and have to refocus.

My compensation comes when I get in and out of chairs and doing stairs. I can feel the strain. Figuring out how to not do that is my current challenge. That and I think I'm just at the point in recovery when I'm impatient, frustrated, and whining. I'm trying not do do much of that here, and I know it will be better in a few weeks.
 
I notice that just a smidge @PolarBear60 . When I refocus, I'm fine again. I wonder if it won't go away as our muscles continue to strengthen. There's so much to this recovery.
Roxie
 
@PolarBear60 Oh man I am the king of impatient :) I know exactly what you mean about it. We had our knees done 3 days apart and am so tired of hearing "patience" or "it has only been x weeks" I could scream :) but this is a Marathon not a sprint so need to think of it that way and I am doing my best to remember that also.
 
the infamous sixth week, when everyone is whining. I haven't found any reference to this in our library (please point me in the right direction if I've missed an article), but I think this is another "to be expected thing" in our recovery.
Here are two articles from the library that address what you're feeling. The post op blues normally hit about the 5-7 week mark in recovery.
Energy Drain following hip replacement
Post Op Blues

So. It appears back pain may be a normal part of the body mechanics adjusting to their new normal, and ice is still our friend. Thoughts?
Actually back pain is not a normal part of the recovery process. But, it is true that a person's body does some readjusting after surgery. How that translates into any pain or discomfort felt is a factor of how your alignment was prior to surgery, how long you have had pain and problems prior to surgery, and atrophy of muscles and other soft tissue. It's why we say every person's recovery is unique.

You may find a lot of folks who do have back pain. It is likely they had at least some issues with this before surgery and then the recovery process can sometimes make it either better or worse for a while until things settle.

One thing that I've found in working with my trainer is that a lot of back pain can be improved by strengthening your core muscles. As we age, this becomes even more important....to work on core (abdominal) strength. Once you are through the recovery process (at about the 6 month mark), you may want to look into some exercises for core strength.
 
So much great info where. Loved reading this!! My back hurts now because of my walk and I have arthritis in my lower back. I agree core exercise is key. I think I need to add a bunch in now for the next 39 days.
 
Thank you, Jamie. Those articles have been useful, and are why I'm confident this will pass. About every two years, my back gives me problems for a week or two, this time is milder than it has been in the past, so if this is just the usual back flare up timed with knee recovery, it should ease up this week. Coupled with knee pain in both knees, it seems worse. (Recovery pain in the new knee and "time to replace me" arthritis pain in the old knee) I agree about strengthening my core. That's why I've involved my physical therapist in the process, and they're integrating exercises to help into my therapy.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Got the message from jacs65 about yoga poses that help the back. Copying them here for my reference: chair pose, downward facing dog, and big toe pose.

Wondering if the riding lawn mower contributed to the back and leg pain -- I know from a previous surgical recovery (endometrial ablation) that the mower is rougher on the body than you think. I did wait longer this time before getting on it, but it could be a factor. I had to get the two foot high grass knocked down at one of our other properties this week. I don't need the city on our back.

Yes, I believe it was too much. I am icing and elevating. Some things must be done. I have a long list of other things going undone, and they will for a while yet.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Icing front and back of knee and lower back. Put the recliner in "zero gravity" mode, and the back relaxed. Going to stay here until the ice packs get warm, then I'm heating up to bed.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Trying to behave myself today. I made a post office run this morning to mail packages to my niece. Rather than carry them in, I strapped them to a folding rolling cart and pulled them up the steps. Got them mailed, came home, and iced until the ice packs were warm. Thought a half million times, "I should do....no, you should not." Got the mail, took myself to lunch, and now I'm back to resting in the recliner until early evening when my neighbor will arrive to cut down the remainder of the cedar tree.

Back is still sore. But not as angry.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Good that you pace yourself! Hope the back eases up.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Plenty of time to research "tai chi classical stretch." Tee hee!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Found a site describing basic back exercises. Looking for legs, too.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
You go girl!!!! Glad you had a nice quiet day and are feeling better!!
 
I had to go upstairs to get a cat tonight, and the back didn't give me trouble. I may be coming through this. It seems more like bad timing for a typical back problem flare up. When climbing the stairs, I focused on standing straight (my home health PT attributed this unevenness when climbing stairs to my old knee and says it will clear up after I get it replaced).

I was outside for a couple of hours tonight while my neighbor took down what was left of the cedar tree. I came inside and iced. I'll be heading up to bed soon. Taking it easy today made a big difference.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
PT went well today. We did the toughest thing right after the bike warm up. One legged balancing on a rubber air-filled pillow. When we were on the balance board with two feet, it was easy. One-legged? I can't balance for more than a couple seconds at a time for the three minutes on each leg we do. I think the orthotics in my shoe on the old leg make it tougher, because they seem to throw me to one side. I'm so looking forward to improving on this. After this, everything else we did was easy.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@PolarBear60 , I read that you blog and write. Just curious about what you blog and write about if you don't mind messaging me that information.

I had to do that with my PT after my arthroscopy but not after my TKR. It made my knee hurt so bad afterwards so I hope it doesn't do the same to you!

Roxie
 
Back
Top Bottom