Guest viewing is limited

TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

This afternoon, I have a new discomfort in the knee. Sharp, prickly sensations just under the skin. I'm going to guess some nerves are waking up.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Yes, I think most of us get those. They come and go but can be pretty prickly :unsure: when you're having an episode of them.
 
I'm amused by the random nature of aches, pains, stiffness, and prickliness. It's always an adventure!
 
The thing bugging me this week is a feeling that I should want to be doing something, but I am not interested in paying enough attention to do most things. I think it's an attention span thing. At five weeks out, I suspect this is mostly normal. Either that or it's just an expanded case of procrastination, which I was pretty good at doing before the surgery.

I can do household tasks -- dishes, cooking, laundry, litter boxes, trash, picking up litter along the street, Bonesmart and Facebook updates. I'm a writer, but I'm struggling to even put together my blog updates let alone work on my fiction. When do the intellectual functions return? (I know I'm not the only one wondering this at this time.)
 
Brain fog, of course everyone recovers at a different pace. Think of if as all your little grey cells are working on helping your knees heal, they are too busy to write or engage in any other intellectual activity for the time being. I couldn't even finish a book for what seemed like the longest time.
Your brain will come back, :reading:.
 
Thank you @pumpkin. I understand this, but I needed to hear it from someone else. :)


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
These pain meds do seem to cloudy the thought process. I couldn't read at all while taking Percocet (which wasn't long as it made me sick to my stomach).

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Brain fog, scatter mind, loss of focus, had all those happen to me also. Thankfully I was working from home at my job and it kept me at least somewhat grounded.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can't blame pain meds. I haven't taken anything stronger than Tylenol or Aleve since May 7th. I chalk it up to the healing process.

I'm reminded almost thirty years ago, I crushed my right foot in a bowling alley pin resetting mechanism (my part time job). Thankfully, the mechanism crushed and released, so it was only soft tissue damage. I got it checked out at the emergency room and went home. I drove to work on Monday morning and thought I was fine. A friend drove me home and to and from work for the rest of the week. I was making cables that week. A few weeks later, I learned a lot of cables had failed quality control. I thought I was fine, but, clearly, I wasn't quite as fine as I thought.

I think this is the same thing.
 
Okay. That was fun. As I was typing that last entry, my phone alerted with a tornado warning. It appears to have passed to the west of us, but our big cedar tree dropped beside the house, thankfully hitting part of a pecan tree and not the house.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Oh my gosh, I'm so glad no one was in the path of that tree! Be safe.!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back to the brain fog: yes, it's pretty common. I had saved up lots of books to read, but I found that I could only concentrate long enough to read one article in a magazine and then I just had to stop.

I do the book-work for our little, home-based Mom and Pop consulting business. I thought I'd be able to keep up with that, but it was a couple of months before my mind was clear enough to spend more than half an hour at a time doing it.
 
Woke up sore this morning for no particular reasons. Did my three PT exercises, and that helped a little. Gathered dead sticks from the yard. Went to PT.

10 minutes on the bike with no resistance.
5 minutes on the balance board.
A couple series on what I guess is a horizontal squat slider.
5 minutes of what I guess was a massage designed to get the knee joint more mobile.
Then my regular knee PT exercise.
Ice.

I thought the balance board was easy, but about an hour later I felt it in my calf. Not bad, but it wasn't as easy as I thought. She warned me I'll be doing one-legged ones later. Those will be tougher.

Overall, a good session.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
[Bonesmart.org] PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)
A little light physical therapy. I've bagged seven bags of debris over two days. I have two or three more bags to fill, then I'll begin trimming more greenery off to be bagged. Husband trimmed so far, but he had to go out of town for a week.

My outside cat thinks this is the best gift yet. She's been exploring.

I can time the bagging/cutting to when it's convenient for me. What I can't time is the steady stream of people who want to cut up the tree for us (for a fee). That gets tiresome.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Whoa, thank goodness that missed the house!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne, I can't tell you how many times we've said that to ourselves. Several passerby have expressed that as well.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
My student therapist was apologizing for her cold hands as she prepared to massage my knee ligaments today. I told her they felt good, and I was getting a two fer -- ice and massage, so not to worry! The experienced therapist showed her a couple of ways to work on her ergonomics (I encouraged her to be mindful of her body mechanics--she wants a long pain free career). Her massage was better today than on Tuesday. I think she's going to do well in this field. I hadn't been sure what they were doing with that procedure either (stretching knee ligaments to keep them from tightening up, which I believe they've been doing, so good), but she explained it very well when I asked today.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Our neighbors pulled up to the house at noon today and fed the tree into their industrial-sized chipper / shredder. One problem solved. I'd just finished icing after mowing the lawn (riding mower) earlier. I stood and walked around for two hours while they worked ( admonishing me to just supervise when I started helping too much). Afterward, I took them to lunch. I came home and iced and elevated, finally beginning to watch my George Carlin collection I'd bought six years ago.

I better take it extra easy tomorrow.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Them massages fill good. although when they go to pausing down that is another story. Xxxx Your doing great!!!


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom