TKR POCTDB recovery thread

Mr. Knee was a bit stiff this morning....not much different from most other knee mornings. I am at 10 weeks today.

The stiffness is exactly where the stiffness has been before, right where the OS did the work at the top of the scar. No drugs were needed and it loosened up after a few steps. But did I sleep well...WOW!

PT after work today... the PT says...”We have been working on ROM and strengthening so today...balance exercises for you...”

Ha! I did all of them with no hands and no problem. On the hardest one (per the PT) he looked at me and said”Bet you can’t do that 5 times on one leg....” he lost that bet.

He did find my weak spot. I still do not trust the knee stepping off a curb. I always look for a car or something to hold on to. So...another exercise...hmmm...more practice is needed on this one.

The PT was practically giggling....” Oh this is where TKR rehab gets fun....you just wait until Friday. I have all sorts of ideas!”

30 minutes on the bike...6 miles after my appointment as the clinic was empty.
My lazy ankle and stairs are now “within normal limits”

Flexion at 102 cold and 112 warm. I asked if I could stay until I had 120. I sent the OS an email asking for 6 more visits because he said 120.

A good knee day.....
 
You blow my mind, that's awesome!! I do a strengthening exercise where I stand a couple of thick books & try to set my opposite heel on the ground. Like a mini squat for fred. It's hard but I'm up to doing 10 no problem after doing about 15 normal squats. Trying to get that strength & confidence in Fred's abilities back.
 
@FitGal
With patience and getting rid of the swelling, that update will be yours in a bit. You are 5 weeks behind me....

@Ladyala
The PT tries regular squats and wall sits with me also but the other knee protested after two. I am hoping to persuade the right knee that it has 5 more years before I do this again. Steroid shots in the right in two weeks.

For me, confidence in the knee is the last thing to come back. You almost have to get to the point of forgetting about it. There were a few shots on the pickleball court that I thought, “I can’t get that. My knee won’t allow it.”
I have not forgotten it yet. But I get to practice saying “Nice shot!” to my opponent.... :tantrum2:
 
I loved the balance work in PT. It was like, "Finally! Something I can do!"

I also have huge trust issues with curbs, both up and down, but I can feel confidence returning slowly. My upgraded leg isn't as strong as it needs to be after being on vacation so many years, so I guess it isn't just confidence.

I'm glad you had such a great PT session.
 
@luvcats
I was probably ahead of you in muscle strength when I went into surgery.
It will come for you.....
 
Hmm.....I have worked 3 12 hour days in a row with Mr. Knee under my desk.
Some walking...no bike.
I got on the bike today....very slow....3 miles in 30 minutes....but it was the RIGHT knee that was squawking....
Hmmmmmmm......bring on the steroids.
 
I bet the more you rely on your new knee, the old knee will get better. Mine did.
 
@Poctdb you're doing just great! It's interesting that you're hesitant on the curbs. I've had no problem with them. My hesitation is the stepladder. At 4'11 I need one for just about anything in the kitchen. The grabber is fine for light stuff but when it's a bowl or something glass, it just has to wait for my husband or a friend.
 
@Neesie
I think the hesitation is the same....full weight on the knee as your sole supporting member for the movement.

I have not tried a stepladder yet.
 
Well this weekend is Mr. Knee’s first trip in an airplane.
I am not even taking the cane with me.

Mr. Knee rode the bike in PT yesterday for 60 minutes /12.7 miles. They were nice enough to save me a trip to the gym as I have been working 12 hour days most of the week. Next 6 visits will be the last PT. We are working on little things along with proprioception.

12 weeks on Monday post TKR....life is getting closer to normal.
 
I hope Mr. Knee remembers his company manners as you travel.

60 minutes on the bike sounds amazing. So very far in my future...
 
@luvcats

Hmmm....
You are assuming Mr. Knee ever had “company manners.”
I can attest to the fact he did not use an “inside voice” most times.

Also, look at it this way....my second knee may need to be done as soon as next year....you actually ARE ahead of me.
 
Oh dear. Instilling company manners later in life can be quite challenging. I hope you'll get a first time lucky with the air travel.

It would be nice if Alternatnee would learn from Mr Knee's example of what happens when we give attitude and cut back the sass for a while.
 
Alternatnee will learn temporary obedience at the point of a needle Wednesday......
 
Call me crazy, but I loved Needle Day. Those cortisone shots were so miraculous! Just a few seconds of ouch and then blissful numbness and ability to move. Rapturous!
 
12 hour days...wow!!
I'm SO not anywhere near that.
Glad all seems well with mr knee. Good luck with your travels!!
 
Airplane ride was fine....my ankles swelled a bit but I echo @luvcats
Mobility is so awesome. No hesitation to walk, no one pushing a wheel chair asking if I needed it....
I was able to hurry to a flight when my first flight was delayed by 30 minutes....and made it walking with ease. My mom’s car was not a dreaded obstacle with a new knee....although I haven’t forgotten about it quite yet....it is close.
@Ladyala
My 12 hours per day is sitting mainly. I am not on my feet as you are.....
 
@Poctdb I'm about six weeks ahead of you and just recently started to spend more time on my feet but still am glad when nightfall arrives so I can prop my feet up and call it a day!
 
Ooooh. Hurrying? What is this 'hurry' of which you speak? :scratch:
An airport without wheel chair? How can this be?
What a magical idea.:walking:
 
Back
Top Bottom