Guest viewing is limited

TKR POCTDB recovery thread

@Poctdb...Congratulations of being back at work. I hope it is bearable for you. School starts after Labor Day weekend and I am not sure if I am going to start out substituting or not. Sometimes, I have to get up and down a lot. I guess we will see....
 
@bfw7
Work has been trying......trying to catch up....trying to keep everyone happy....trying not to freak out because I am doing two jobs now.

I got through the 578 emails....TGIF....

Take jobs if you feel like it....if not save your strength for your market.
 
Wow that sounds rough!! Nothing like a little pressure & stress...
:flabber:
 
I see the surgeon on Thursday and I have complaints.

In the last week, I have been having sharp (think ice pick stab) that starts on the lateral outside and diagonally progresses to the mid line of the knee.

I notice it on numerous activities, when I turn over in bed, walking around, especially with a load (groceries) and when I try to take a step with the leg like up a curb unassisted.

I have done nothing differently and had never even had the zingers that some of the rest of you have suffered.

GRR! I was supposed to get to try pickleball tonight....

If the X-RAY is fine, my bet is an IT Band issue. :censored:

This is so frustrating.....
 
@Poctdb i hear you! I’m little over 3 months and have had those zingers for weeks, especially medial. . they seemed to quiet down but came back with vengeance today :unsure: not constantly but when I least expected! Like everyone says internal healing takes months. Hoping your issues are normal healing zingers..
 
I see the surgeon on Thursday and I have complaints.

In the last week, I have been having sharp (think ice pick stab) that starts on the lateral outside and diagonally progresses to the mid line of the knee.

I notice it on numerous activities, when I turn over in bed, walking around, especially with a load (groceries) and when I try to take a step with the leg like up a curb unassisted.
Could you have possibly twisted your knee, very slightly? I have noticed surprisingly intense stabs of pain in my knee after doing that. Like the day before yesterday, when my leg accidentally rolled off the side of the leg rest on my recliner. But just barely! It twisted a little more than it wanted to twist, but I caught it before it got too far. Still, I was feeling unexpected jabs of pain from it now and then, for a day or two. :groan:

Well, whatever it is, try lots of ice and rest and I hope it feels better soon.

(P.S. - - as for my zingers, they aren't nearly that intense! And I am hoping they just become less frequent and then eventually vanish, as time goes by.)
 
Boy, your knee is just a cartoon villain, trying everything in the book to continue his reign of terror!
I hope it's nothing serious.
 
“The Diabolical MR. Knee” a long story in numerous acts....
(Cue diabolical laughter here....)

Episode for today:
Mr. Knee goes to PT.....
He does not bend....he stabs Deanna during heel slides twice....and she is teary eyed.....
“Bad Mr. Knee!” says the really cute and caring therapist. Commercial break: (“Queen Pickleball Enabler” has taught him and his wife to play pickleball.....)

Back to this episode:
The PT gets the foam roller......Mr Knee pales....he knows he is in trouble now.....then the smart therapist IGNORES Mr. Knee....and rolls out the lateral quad and ITBand.......
Then some hip stretches...some calf stretches and some stairs....and 8 minutes on the bike with the seat up so the flexion for both knee and that (:censored:as this is a G rated show) lazy ankle.
Deanna grabs her keys with further instructions to “Work hard till I see you next....” and goes to the car.....
Fade to black
Next episode on Thursday with a special appearance by the OS.....
 
I see the surgeon on Thursday and I have complaints.

In the last week, I have been having sharp (think ice pick stab) that starts on the lateral outside and diagonally progresses to the mid line of the knee.

I notice it on numerous activities, when I turn over in bed, walking around, especially with a load (groceries) and when I try to take a step with the leg like up a curb unassisted.
Your new knee is only 2 months old and I think you're possibly expecting too much of it. You're quite active, and doing lots at PT, so don't be surprised if it complains now and then.
 
@Celle
During the time it has been complaining, I have done PT once.
 
Saw the OS today.
The stabbing is because my IT band has been shortened over time due to the valgus. It is fixable with stretching.

He was not pleased about the flexion numbers (105 by his measure) and recommended “aggressive PT with manual manipulation for at least 110 and I really want 120.”
When I told him that “aggressive PT with manual manipulation “ was not going to happen, he shrugged and said “It’s your knee.”

So....post OS was PT.
I talked to the manager of the clinic and she said chat with the PT....tell him that heel slides are not working and try something else.
So...PT says (before I say anything...) “Hmmmm....before you left last time, you said heel slides haven’t worked for 9 weeks...I had thought about that since I saw you last....so today we try these things...no heel slides.”

First exercise, 110....no manipulation.... if there was a raspberry emoji, I would target it to the OS.....
 
Haha!! Good for you & awesome about the pt. I've lost count of how many times I've wished for a raspberry emoji. Preferably one with thumbs stuck in ears & fingers wagging like a little kid (or immature adult *a'hem*) would do. :wink:
 
Well done to stand up to the OS. It is your knee after all.

I'm very curious about the heel slides not working well for ROM for you. I've had a similar problem. My hamstrings just aren't strong enough, and my body shape makes them very awkward. What exercise are you doing instead?
 
When I told him that “aggressive PT with manual manipulation “ was not going to happen, he shrugged and said “It’s your knee.”
You are so right and so is he! It IS your knee!

First exercise, 110....no manipulation.... if there was a raspberry emoji, I would target it to the OS.....
Naa naa naa naa naa! Yippee! You showed him!
 
@luvcats

The PT calls them “stool scoots”. You are placed on a rolling stool. Using your heel of your impacted leg, you dig it into the floor and pull backwards. This causes the stool to move forward and your leg to flex. If you like, you can help the leg to further flex by using your other foot to push it back a bit more under the stool. (I did this when I got tired)

If you think about it, it is a sitting heel slide BUT it takes my fat parts out of the equation, so that nothing “blocks” the leg motion. All of those parts are on the stool.....the leg goes under the stool. I could never get the prone heel slides to work as my body parts got in the way.

I tried this at 4 weeks and it hurt. At 9 weeks.....no worries.

The second thing we did was lunges on stairs. Foot goes on a stair and you bend it forward to tolerance and hold for 5 sec. Switch legs. My lazy parts (ligaments in the back of the knee and calf muscle) did feel this in the morning.

I will say, in defense of my OS, I think he was having a bad day. He was behind in seeing patients waiting on X-rays and told me that my complaints are what he hears all day everyday. ( no “normal”, not fast enough, PT doesn’t seem to work as I was stalled with flexion, etc.)

I asked him if he was pleased so far and the answer was an emphatic “Yes, you are progressing well. My last patient had valgus, although not as severe as yours, and she is behind you. Keep in mind this is a six month recovery.”
 
I could never get the prone heel slides to work as my body parts got in the way.
Yup. Once I get to a certain amount of bend, there's just not enough room in a heel slide. I will have to give stretches a try in my office chair. And definitely do some stair lunges. I'm already doing a little strength building by stepping up one step, and then back down. Not too many times, but regularly a few over the course of the day.

I also invented one that was approved by my PT that might be useful to you. My exercise list from my surgeon includes 'marching in place'. Well, Knee#2 won't have any of that. I lay on my back in bed and lift my leg up from the surface just a little, then pull my leg up as though I were doing a high step, and then back to straight. When the leg is fully bent at the hip, I encourage my foot to drop maximizing the bend at the knee. This one seems to be working well for me.
 
Back
Top Bottom