TKR Playing soccer and baseball again

I reached my goal today, in large part because of the help and advice from my Bonesmart friends.
I played my first real game of organized soccer today! First game of the new season and since the TKR. All went well and I played the whole game with the exception of 10mins. I am almost at the 7 months mark now, so this is great. I recently went on vacation and played soccer on the beach daily but I wasn't sure how that would translate to the field.
I feel I have my life back and couldn't be happier. Thanks for all of the advice.
 
What an inspiration for those coming up behind you!
 
I had my TKR just over 7 months ago and wasn't sure I would play soccer again. This forum, in general, was an excellent resource, but I really thank those who gave me advice and encouragement. Someone shared stories of others who had resumed the sporting activity they loved, and that gave me hope.
On Sunday I played my second outdoor soccer game of the season and was on the field for 80 minutes. Tonight I played baseball and went 3 for 3 and scored twice, running from second base.

I credit my return to sports to an excellent surgeon and great advice from Bonesmart- many thanks!
 
Congratulations,
You've done well and achieved your goal of playing your sport again. :yes!::yay::happydance:
 
@wilsonma ,

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. I know you started your new thread to encourage others, so I have kept its title as the title of your merged thread.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
wilsonma,
Happy to hear you have been able to play soccer, wonderful news :yahoo:.
Thanks for coming back and sharing your good news!
 
Yippee, yay! You are doing amazingly! Keep up the good reports. You are an inspiration!
 
Good for you, @wilsonma ! I bet it's fabulous playing the beautiful game again! I love watching the beautiful game! Check out this form from my niece.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Playing soccer and baseball again
    IMG_0003.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome!! Great job, many years of good fun!


R Partial Knee Replacement 11/28/16
 
Now I will explore this side of the forum and look for advice and guidance to recover. The whole procedure went well and all the staff I dealt with were amazing at the Brampton Civic hospital. My surgeon said my knee was "wrecked" and he had "fun" fixing it. He said he is positive I will see a lot of improvement in knee function when it heals.
Thanks to @skigirl (admin if you could tag her I would appreciate it) I am really looking forward to spinning in the gym to build up that quad.
Now I'm off to review all the guidlines/advice, from everyone here - again, thanks to you all!

Hi. I had my knee done at Brampton Civic. Dr Hanna. Hoping I can play my old ladies tennis again!!


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I had excellent care at Brampton Civic @Denise0158

I am crossing my fingers for you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@wilsonma, I am amazed and in awe of your recovery and ability to play not just sports, but contact sports again. I miss playing soccer, especially this time of year. I played every year since I was five. Coached, officiated, and even made it semi pro. Prior surgeries turned the scouts away in my case.

I am not sure if I can be as brave as you and take a chance playing when I am recovered. We'll see. Your an inspiration for sure.
 
@Templar1974 nothing brave, it's just that soccer has always been a major part of my life. I started at five, as well and have played since.
I am lucky that I can use both feet in soccer, so that takes a bit of pressure off my new right knee...So far I've only had a couple of tackles with my right and so far, so good. I still havent taken any hard shots but I get a little more "brave" every game.
I played doubles and singles badminton at work today, tomorrow is indoor soccer- the sports at lunchtime are the only reason I still work.
Good luck to you and take the recovery slow. Apart from being nice to the knee, you have to build up the muscles again.
 
Sports at lunchtime?! I want your job! I use both feet as well. Always preferred playing center forward, which allowed me to switch to left or right wing. My left has always been stronger. Your right about muscle strength. I have lost so much of my quad muscle. Amazed how quickly it went.

I think when I do feel confident enough in my recovery, I'll use a brace temporarily for a little more stability, and just to ensure if someone performs a sloppy tackle...that my knee will be okay.
 
Bravo for you!!! How about some photos of you enjoying your sports so we can include you in our amazing success stories?
 
@Templar1974 I am lucky with the job. I work in a jail, and we have weight rooms and a school like gym. A core group of staff work out most days and we play soccer every Tue and Thu.
I started as a central defender and now centre forward. As the defender if you make 1 mistake out of 10 it can cost the game. As a centre forward, if I win 1 out of 10...
Now as I'm playing again, my muscle size is coming back on my right but I am still careful with my shots and tackles. Sometimes it just happens, like yesterday during indoor soccer, one of my "buddies" tackled me hard on the right! A piece of advice I can give, for your rehab, is- think about how you run for a while, before speed. Even yesterday, I consciously made myself run with proper form, rather than just chase the ball. I find that, each week, my form and ease of running gets better.

@Jamie yes i will this week. The weather up here hasn't been good for my last two games. We started off 3 weeks ago with a perfect Sunday for soccer, then freezing ( it was that bad, I felt like I was a boy playing in Scotland again!) and last week cancelled because of rain! I will get some taken this Sunday.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom