TKR Playing soccer and baseball again

I was under the impression that running was not advised after a Tkr. has your Dr. cleared you for running?


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I am happy you can do all this but I must stress this is not the norm. I would not encourage anyone to follow your program. It is very aggressive and for most it may lead to chronic pain and other issues. Good luck to you!
 
Almost at 12 weeks and things going well. Went to the gym today and did full stack on the hip add and abd machines. I went on to 310lbs on the leg press and finished weights with leg extension/ham curls. I then did 10 mins on the rowing machine all with no knee problems. The next stage will be a test when I resume squatting and try running.
Please tell me this isn't true! I would be tempted to post an 'are you crazy?' smiley if I had one!
Did you forget this you said only a few posts ago?
I am keeping my fingers crossed.


Thanks everyone- I am listening
All evidence to the contrary it would seem! So keep everything else crossed as well! Sheesh!
 
thanks all. I have had my fingers crossed and listened to advice. Believe it or not, I have been going slow- for me...
I have always been active and a gym person, so this has helped in my recovery. I would have tried squatting already but I listened to the cautions and did not. I will be starting squats next week but I will start at the beginning again, with just the bar.
In regards to running and dr's advice, my dr was supportive when I told him I would be rough on this new knee. He told me to go ahead.
I would rather enjoy the things I like in life, than die with a knee that was hardly used...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks pumpkin - I read those stories before I had the replacement and they gave me hope for life after the op. I did not read about the 72 yr old UK woman who learned ballet after her TKR - wow!
I am and will continue to listen to the knee as I go- I have "backed off" when it complained before.
I also realise I am at an early stage towards my soccer playing goal, which is a longer recovery - so little steps...
 
It's your choice, of course, but do be aware that exercising to the point that you intent to will probably wear out the plastic spacer in your knee more quickly than usual. That could mean that you have to have surgery to replace it.

Usually, the spacer becomes gradually thinner and you could feel your knee becoming looser. Go back to your surgeon if that happens. At that point, it will probably be possible to just replace the spacer.

My first knee replacement was a partial, which gave me eleven good years. I had no indication that the spacer was wearing thin, because my knee didn't feel looser.

However, the spacer broke suddenly one day, without any previous warning. That was extremely painful and immediately crippling. The broken bits of spacer flew out of the joint and damaged some of the surrounding tissues. I still have one piece of spacer lodged in the back of my knee. It was buried too deep for removal to be safe.

When my spacer broke, I was on holiday, in Canada. I had to travel all the way home to New Zealand, on crutches and in a wheelchair.
By the time I had my revision surgery, the two metal components of my PKR had rubbed on each other and caused some damage. I had to have the entire replacement revised, to a TKR.

I don't usually tell my horror story - I'm over it now - but I wanted you to be aware of the worst that might happen.

Enjoy your active life, but please look after yourself and your knee.
 
Thanks so much for sharing Celle, I will make sure I monitor the knee and have the spacer replaced, when needed.
Your story is a bad one and I hope I don't have to go through that. If I do, that will be the end of my soccer days.
Merry Xmas to all my friends here at Bonesmart!
 
My story is an unusual one - a sort of "worst case scenario". I wouldn't like you to think that the same will inevitably happen to you. I haven't heard of anyone else who has had it happen.

However, if it serves to make you aware, and monitor your knee carefully, that's a good thing.

I'm not sure, but it might be possible to check the thickness of your spacer by X-Ray over the years. A decrease in the space between the metal components might indicate that the spacer was thinning.
Ask your surgeon what he thinks.
 
Thanks again Celle, that's a great idea about x-raying the spacer. I will ask my surgeon when I see him for my follow-up, in about 2 weeks.
 
It's pretty obvious that you are going to expect a lot more of your TKR than most of us do. I hope it co-operates. I just wanted you to be aware of one potential drawback to doing that.
 
my update @4 1/2 months out. Gym today, squats at 135lbs and then leg extension, curl then bike. I do not have any pain and love the feeling of having a right quad again-wow! I tried running a couple of weeks ago and while I was fine at the time, I had a little pain for a few days after...I have not tried running since and will wait another month before I try again. I do leg weights three times a week and swim twice. I also use an exercise and spin bike frequently.
I find I have great ROM (better than my real knee) and no pain with straight motions. I still have a bit of pain if I twist the knee, especially when accidental.
After another Bonesmartie's recommendation, I will now incorporate the rowing machine into my PT regime.
In this stage of my recovery, my focus is on building the right leg muscles that have atrophied...
 
You are doing very well and have a good plan that if you get pain with any activity you dial it back for a little while before trying it again.
 
My TKR ROM is better than my natural knee also. I was pressing 75lbs at 5 months out with no pain. It did help to build strength in my TKR leg after the infection.
 
Just over 5 months and still progressing. I worked legs today at the gym and did 350lb on the leg press, comfortably. My right quad is now developing very well and I have muscle back that I thought was gone forever.
I intend to work on my mobility, in the next few weeks, by playing badminton and passing the ball around in the gym. My outdoor soccer starts late April, so fingers crossed...
 
Latest update and hopefully good news to anyone looking to get back to sports again after a TKR.
I played table tennis for the first time yesterday since the TKR(5 1/2 months ago). I played a very good opponent and we play real table-tennis not ping pong. We played for half an hour and i had no issues with any of the movements and I even won 3-1:dancy:.
Today I played 50 mins of indoor soccer, 5 a side, and everything went well. I ran better than before my surgery but I was still cautious and didn't try to run full-out (because of my Bonesmart friends advice).
I am very happy tonight, as the best I could hope for after the TKR was to return to the "beautiful game".
I don't start outdoor soccer until the end of April but I am keeping my fingers crossed...
I know this isn't normal, and I am lucky, but if you are sporty- there is hope!
 
That's great! Im very happy for you! Getting our real lives back is what we all wish to attain.
 
@wilsonma Very inspirational! Great to hear you getting back to your passion. My goal is to thru hike the Appalachian Trail in 2018 or 19. 2,200 miles in 5 months :) Hopefully I can build up to it.
 
How inspiring to read how well your new knee has done! This is certainly an encouragement to those coming up behind you!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom