TKR Playing soccer and baseball again

Thanks Celle- I am taking it easy (for me). I am listening to the knee and not rushing it.
 
Today was four weeks out. I started using the leg machines at the gym today. Leg press, leg extension, and calf raises. I stayed light in weights and listened to the knee. I then did 10 minutes on the bike with low tension. Everything went well but I did take a tylenol when I got home, as the knee was a little tight. It's now 7 hours later and the knee feels great.
I am still having pain when I sleep and wake up several times during the night. The Cryo-cuff is the best thing ever!
I see my surgeon for my follow-up tomorrow and will ask for details on the "fun" he said fixing the "wrecked knee".
So now my intention is to slowly build up the weights on the machines and maybe try squatting with the bar next week.
 
Do take it easy with the leg press. We usually recommend not using things like that until about 3 months after a TKR.
I know you're listening to your knee, but it does need about 3 months of healing before you start strengthening.
 
Thanks Celle- I will take it easy and not too frequent leg w/o's in the next few weeks.
I saw my surgeon for my follow-up today and he said my knee was one of the worst he had seen. He was also impressed by my healing. I told him it was all down to his good work ...and my friends from bonesmart!
 
I am now at 8 weeks and doing well. I have been using leg machines at the gym and did 210lbs on leg press at the weekend, with no issues. I intend to start free weights squats in the next couple of days but will stay light for a while-probably one plate for a couple of weeks.
I havnt been swimming yet as I did "spit" a stitch or suture three weeks ago, but it has now healed, so I will get back to the pool.
I consider this "stage 2" of my healing and any input is welcome, especially from any athletic folks out there.
My long-term goal is still to play soccer next season but obviously a long way to go yet...
 
Well, I'm not one of the athletic folks but I am going to say that I think you are expecting far too much of your knee so early in recovery.
You're not even two months into what is a 12-month recovery.

Weights and squats with weights should be deferred for at least another couple of months. Your knee has had major surgery and it needs time to recover and heal itself, before you start stressing it as much as you are doing.
In all likelihood, you will be able to play soccer next season - but not if you damage your knee at this early stage.
 
My PTs would not start any strength training until 4 months post-op. I had a very weak leg due to wearing an imbolizer for a month. They said it was detrimental to the implant and bone around it to use weights too early. You have quite a few months before outdoor season starts up, so walking to build stamina would be more beneficial in my thinking, then work on strength later.
 
So now my intention is to slowly build up the weights on the machines and maybe try squatting with the bar next week.
Squats like you are talking about are a real no-no until at least 6 months out. They put way too much torque on that new (still healing) joint. Please try to be patient with this recovery. You don't want to risk messing up all your surgeon's good work now, do you? Work on other things for now if you must and if there really is no pain or swelling afterwards, but leave the squatting for a while longer.
 
but I did take a tylenol when I got home
"A" Tylenol? Was that a regular Tylenol? Which is 325mg? That's no decent dose. The proper dose is 1,000mg.
I started using the leg machines at the gym today. Leg press, leg extension, and calf raises. I stayed light in weights and listened to the knee.
I have been using leg machines at the gym and did 210lbs on leg press at the weekend, with no issues. I intend to start free weights squats in the next couple of days but will stay light for a while
That is ill-advised at 8 weeks. You may feel you are doing well but you risk serious soft tissue issues using anything with weights. Most knee surgeons of my acquaintance would stress no weights until at least 8 months and there is a good reason for that.
 
I would stay away from those weights for some time yet. All your knee needs to do now is be able to manage your weight---and develop the stamina, too. It is too early to be focusing on weights---even very little weight.
 
I spent a lot of time, bending my knee--even kneeling and then leaning into the kneel. I also did a lot of squats fairly early too. When I had my spacer exchange at 2 years, my doc could see wear on the back of the spacer. He told me that deep squats are a bad move for fake knees. He told me to go down, but not to 90 degrees. He nixed the trying to knee with my heels near my butt as too drastic a move for the fake knee.

there are two issues here---of course you are fit and able to leg press 200 lbs---but is that the best thing for the new knee??? You are still healing at 8 weeks. I would take it a little slower for another four weeks. Leg lift---but more reps and less weight. I don't think it is good for the joint to be having that weight when the quad is not fully recovered. Since the quad does not hold up its end completely, the joint has to take a hit.
 
210 lb leg presses sound like way too much:flabber:....please take it easy, your knee is still trying to heal and you don't want to slow down that process.
 
Thanks everyone- I am listening and not going crazy (I didnt start squats yet). I have no pain during the day but still some at night. My Dr. gave me Tridural but I dont think it really helps too much. If I wake at night I take 1 tylenol 500 and that lets me get back to sleep. My Doctor also gave me a topical cream which also helps- it is called Multiprophen. Anyway, I am 9 weeks out today and I went shopping today and walked quite a bit. I didn't think of my knee once and I think that says it all. I know I still have a long way to go as I want to run and play soccer again, but so far, so good!
 
I am so glad to read your post. It is hard to take it easy in the first months, but ultimately, that is the thing that works the best. Once I got to three months, I really began a pretty typical work out. I skied at five months---when I asked my supervisor if he noticed a difference in my skiing---he said, "Yeah you ski better."
 
Thanks Skigirl, I'm glad you are skiing better. I hope that is the same for my soccer, although I really couldn't be worse than last year. I am sticking with the leg press and leg extensions and still no pain. I am at 10 weeks on Tuesday, that is close enough to 3 months and squats...:fingersx:
 
hee hee, I was trying to catch up to someone today and ran across the street without thinking.. Knee didn't say boo. 8 weeks out.

Not that I have a running program in place!
 
LRC - that is great! It is so good when you do something like that and didn't even think of the knee.
 
I agree---I forgot somehing in my studio, ran into the house and up and down the stairs!! at about 8 weeks---what a relief.
 
Almost at 12 weeks and things going well. Went to the gym today and did full stack on the hip add and abd machines. I went on to 310lbs on the leg press and finished weights with leg extension/ham curls. I then did 10 mins on the rowing machine all with no knee problems.
so things are going well, so far, and I am now better than my pre-op state...
The next stage will be a test when I resume squatting and try running. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom