TKR Playing soccer and baseball again

@Jamie I finally got round to taking a pic.
I had my one year follow up with my surgeon last Thursday. The Xray was good and he was happy with the feel of my knee. On the Sunday following, I played in my soccer finals and my team won the cup. This is the first time in 10 years I have been on the Finals winning team - pretty good considering, I thought my playing days were over!
That is the pic I have posted (I am the guy with the crazy hair).
I started off the soccer season, in April at 6 months post TKR, playing conservatively but at the end I was running freely and scored one of my best goals ever with my new knee!. In many games, this season, I stayed on the pitch for the full 90 minutes.
So my surgeon gave me the "all clear" and said come back and see me in 2-3 years. I will make it 2 as some good advice I got on this site, told me to get regular Xrays to ensure the spacer hasn't worn badly...
I am now heading down at lunch time for indoor soccer and we have some "new recruits" playing(25 year olds) but the old guy/new knee can handle them-lol.
Anyway, for any of you sporty guys, there is hope to get back to the sport you love and thanks again Bonesmarties, for all the advice!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Playing soccer and baseball again
    Classics Trophy Winners.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 411
Wow! Congratulations! I remember reading your thread before my knee replacements back in May, and thinking "This guy is either crazy, or replacement knees are more awesome than I think." I now know they're awesome, and totally admire your "conservative" at first approach to getting back into a sport you love. How wonderful that you can still play!
 
Congratulations, being on a winning cup team is big!!! Be careful with indoor soccer, especially on artificial turf. I found hat my foot stuck to the turf and I had some spectacular falls. Two women from my team ended up with bad sprains too.
 
This is what new knees are all about!! Great going!
 
Great to hear things are going so well!
 
Which one are you in that great photo???
 
@Jamie I am the one with the crazy hair...thanks everyone for the comments - and the Bonesmart way, is the only way to go. I have had several people at work ask me for advice for family and friends. Of course I recommend Bonesmart and our way of rehab. I cringe when I hear of their people being put through the crazy physio and the pain that goes with it...
@skigirl my outdoor season is finished now and I play indoor in a wooden floor gymnasium so I don't have the turf to contend with until later in the year. Every Boxing day and New Years day we have tournaments in a Dome with turf- you are right, many of our players do trip and fall until they get used to the turf again.
 
Hi @wilsonma! I just read your entire thread and you have inspired me. I have had little pain but my insomnia has been causing me some significant problems, and I still can't get a revolution on the bike. My palms are sore from banging the handle bars in frustration! I, too, am a gym rat, teach fitness / personal train, so really miss those endorphins. I also hope to get back to curling. Yes - you have inspired me and given me hope. THANK YOU!
 
Fabulous! I'm so happy you've been able to play the beautiful game again!
 
Thanks everyone and @JDP just take it slowly. I went back to the gym pretty early but I had "sticking" points too. Just listen to your knee and increase your workouts slowly.
I started biking after @skigirl put me on to that and I found it would hurt sometimes, so I just backed off and biked longer and with higher tension when I felt the knee was stronger. My plan this off season is to build up my quads by squatting more - but I will be careful.
Curling? isn't that just an excuse to have a drink?
 
Sorry for the delay.
Lol re curling. Actually I play second so it is quite a workout! I've been rowing at the gym, using the recumbant bike, going to the pool, and sleeping :happydance: so life is much better. Hope your recovery is going well too.
 
it's now been 20 months since my replacement and I am playing 3 games of soccer and one softball per week. I go to the gym and I am still squatting but stay light with more reps.
I have had a few friends at work that have had TKR's as well and I have loaned out my Cryocuff with rave reviews about that little cooler!
I have told everyone to follow the Bonesmart way and tell them not to worry about some of the normal things we hear. How many degrees? etc.
I just recommended someone to this site today and thought I should check in and hopefully offer hope to some of those "sporties" having a TKR- it's not the end!
 
@wilsonma well done on getting back to living! And thanks for recommending BoneSmart. We very much appreciate your support!
 
Wow! You’re doing just fabulously! Good to hear you’re back to your life!
 
@wilsonma, your update was a great read for me! To see what you are now able to do after 20 months post TKR gives me great hope for a similar outcome from my PKR (currently 5 weeks post-op). I’m impatient at times, but also aware enough to know better (sometimes the hard way) :banghead: :loll:

Thanks

NG
 
It's so encouraging to read stories like yours! I'm delighted for you - congratulations on a great outcome.
 
Thanks for the update.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom