PKR PKR Success - 1 yr out.

@NavyGunns please don’t leave us, please!!!!
I love your post and I am sooo happy for you that you are finally healed. YOUR RECOVERY THREAD HAS HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY....:)
I often cry “why did I do this” as well. I pray that I will be able to walk down the aisle without a limp or this stupid compression hose on...lol. It does help but still lots of stiffness. I will miss you...:bawl:

@Doupie, Not Fair! The use of tears is not fair. I hate making a woman cry! Lol.

Don’t worry, I’m going anywhere. I enjoy the interaction with everyone on this site as we all understand and have experienced the same issues which helps when one needs to vent.

My wife got a recent taste of what I’m talking about. She twisted her knee at home a couple of weeks ago but not too bad. However, she did it again in her office the very next day causing it to swell. She said the pain and stiffness was the worst she’s ever felt. It eventually got better over several days (she refused to go to the doctors :bignono:) so I’m guessing it was just a sprain. Bet it causes her issues down the road though. Anyway, she got an actual taste of what knee pain feels like. She’s not a very tolerant patient, never has been, but I took good care of her since she has done the same for me (many times actually).

You’ve still got several more weeks till your big day (if I remember correctly). I’m sure you will do fine! It’s amazing how much healing occurs in these few weeks after week 8! I could almost swear I saw changes every day. I’m sure you’ll see the same.

BoneSmarties,
Minor update for what I see as a significant accomplishment.

My wife and I took our two granddaughters to the county fair this evening. Just spent 5 hours on my feet walking around while the girls rode their rides, etc. Prior to my PKR, I would not have lasted even an hour before I would have had to sit and get off my feet / knee. Tonight I hardly sat at all and only when we all sat to eat. No pain in my knee, some aches from the leg muscles, but I expected that. Don’t even feel the need to ice or elevate, no swelling at all. I’ll really be happy if it doesn’t bother me during the night or tomorrow.

That is really awesome! (And a bonus, being so early in recovery!) It’s why we have our knees replaced! :wowspring:

Feeling pretty good with myself tonight!:happydance:
Went for a bike ride around the neighborhood with my wife. First time on my bike since last summer. Didn’t change the seat night and was able to pedal full cycle with no issues!:yes!:
On top of that, after two laps around (maybe a mile and a half to two miles), I still felt like could do more :biking:, but Beautiful said she needed to quit as she was tired already! :yawn:

Of course I listened to her! Also makes sure I didn’t over do it, so I agreed.

Yay! I remember the exhilaration I felt when I finally made it back on my bike! I hope your knee behaves for you tonight and tomorrow.

PKR Success - 1 yr out.
@Josephine,

Any ideas as to what might be the cause of an occasional, sharp pain in the DLB4 / DLF4 area (right on the side of the knee)? It normally occurs when I’m going down a step or going to st or stand. It does not occur all the time so I’m not overly concerned and the pain level is not high. More sharp than anything else. Like a hot knife sticking me and then it goes away.

When I bend my knee to its max, I get a tightness and somewhat similar pain in the exact same area. I’m suspecting it’s related to ligaments, muscle, and other soft tissue still healing, but wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

NG

This week marks 17 weeks post-op (the 16th is officially 4 months). I’ve noticed a significant change in how my knee feels and how it handles new stresses ever since about week 11 or 12. Although it might ache later in the day or even over night, I don’t seem to have any significant issues with swelling (thank goodness). I do still experience tightness at times, I think it’s mainly due to the muscles and such getting re-accustomed to the physical activity or exercise. Kind of feels like that kind of tightness. Occasionally I get a sharp pain or two (like my last post), but none have been long-term persistent yet! I’m being careful not to over do anything so as to avoid such issues.

I know I haven’t suffered many of the issues with ROM, excessive swelling, or pain like many of our other members. I wish I had the magic suggestion or solution that would change things for those who do, but I don’t. I can say that when I had my share of issues early on and had many of the same concerns and questions, keeping positive and following the guidance many others shared here is what helped me get to where I’m at now. Thanks BoneSmarties!

NavyGunns, I see you had your PKR 3 days after my LTKR. I was 17 weeks last Friday. In fact, today it is 4 months. My knee is doing pretty well, I still get some minor swelling and aches, but I know that is normal. I'm just about to go put some ice on my knee, as it is a little achy now. It's such a wonderful feeling, isn't it, being able to walk/stand with no knee pain!! I really want to start up my walking again, but I'm just biding my time and not pushing myself. One of the things I've learned from Bonesmart is not to rush your recovery!!

Thanks @Josephine for the info. Based on the articles, I believe you are probably correct that it's Hoffa's versus the other. I do find that certain activities aggravates it more than others. Been slowly trying to add leg exercises to my workout routine, but every time I do, that pain area flares up. Just not ready yet I guess. Plenty of time, so I'm not in a rush.

Spent 3 hours on my feet last night helping Beautiful juice tomatoes while she cooked spaghetti sauce. One bushel down (and 5 large pots) ready to can, another bushel tonight. My knee did great until after I went to bed. Then everything got real stiff, not sore, just stiff. Definitely soft tissues still healing. I elevated it for a few hours before falling asleep, no ice as I didn't think it necessary. Still a bit stiff this morning, but as soon as I was up and moving around, everything loosened up and knee feels great! As I keep telling others, I need to keep telling myself, only four months into this year-long healing process! I also need to remember that, before my PKR, I never would have been able to tolerate standing that long at the kitchen sink!

Having a good recovery is kind of amazing because you keep being surprised, pleasantly, by new signs of progress. Just wait until the day comes, and it will, when you wake up and your knees aren't stiff. At all. It's really cool! :snork: It's what having knees used to be like.

Spent 3 hours on my feet last night helping Beautiful juice tomatoes. My knee did great until after I went to bed. Then everything got real stiff, not sore, just stiff.
Yep, that'll do it!

Earlier today I had a great experience I just feel I have to share. I ran into a friend I hadn’t seen since just before my PKR surgery. We bumped into each other on the golf course. He made the comment that he saw I had decided against having my knee surgery. I asked him why he thought that and he said because I was out playing golf and seemed to be walking about just fine. I laughed and told him I had my surgery the middle of April. He didn’t believe me. He even looked at my knee and said I was BSing him because he saw no scar. I told him to look closer! It took him a while and then he finally saw it. He was flabbergasted because it’s hardly visible. He had TKR about 5 years ago and his scar is clearly visible from a good distance away. I can’t tell you how good that made me feel about the progress I’ve made in just 4 months. Can’t wait to see what is in store over the next year. Just for fun, attached is a pic of my knee today.

PKR Success - 1 yr out.
PKR Success - 1 yr out.

Happy Labor Day to all the US based BoneSmarties!

As usual, Beautiful had me laboring on the holiday! At least it was inside where the a/c is running since it’s been over 90 and humid here. Been busy repainting our guest bathroom. My knee faired pretty well, even with all the stepping up and down off the chair to reach the highest areas (even at 6’2”, not quite tall enough to reach and paint a straight line). Some aching last night and stiffness this morning, expecting more of the same tonight, but no pain like before surgery :yay:. The only real problem I had was my knee really hates kneeling on hard floors! That meant having to adjust how I got down to paint baseboard trim. But I managed. A couple of touch up areas and soon the bathroom will be ready for company again. Then Beautiful can cross off one more chore off her long list she has for me!:heehee: Of course I failed to mention that this chore was last done over 10 years ago and might be just as long before it’s done again (I hate painting!) :old:

@SusieShoes when does that happen exactly?????:) :-) (:
@NavyGunns I heard kneeling is just awful for a lonnnnnnng time after surgery...like years. Your knee DOES look great!

@hhaze, when does it happen that we wake up and don’t even think about our knees? Wish I knew, but even if never, I’m positive that the future experiences will be better than the past experiences.

Kneeling isn’t too bad if on a cushion, however it barely tolerates our padded kneelers at church!

Thanks for the compliment! I’m constantly amazed at how good it looks.

Great job on the painting! Not my favorite thing either. I’m not good at it because I don’t like to do it, and I don’t like to do it, because I’m not good at it. A lose/lose combination.

My son took pity on us and painted our hallway for us on Mother’s Day. I have one more small area to paint in this house, and he will do that for us eventually.

We’ve been in our present house 3 years and I don’t expect to want to paint again after we get the last area done.

I did want our laundry room painted, it’s a yellowish green that I’m not crazy about, the previous owners even painted the ceiling and the door to outside the same color :banghead:but I think it’s asking a lot to move the appliances out just to paint, so I decided to learn to live with it.

@Jockette, our laundry is in the bathroom I just painted (upstairs laundry, my wife loves it versus having it in the basement!). I refuse to paint that part! The bi-fold doors to that room and the main door are all I have left to paint.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom