THR Pink Peony Recovery Thread

Hi @ Pink Peony,

I am so pleased and excited for your positives and your progress!! It is also great that elevation is helping with your swelling (it did take about 3 months for mine to fully dissipate).

I can relate to your mentioning that your PT wants you to slow down your gait when using the walker, as I was directed by my outpatient PT to slow down my gait with my forearm crutches.

When I was discharged from the hospital, I left with a new walker, which I used to get around in the first couple of weeks, especially to be safe at night when I got up to use the bathroom.

Personally, I disliked the walker, it seemed clunky and I felt off balance, uncomfortable with my arms out in front of me. Also, I already knew that I did not want a cane because it always hurt my hand (I had used a cane for about 6 weeks when I had a serious riding injury with my own dressage horse, 16.3 hands Trakehner gelding, of course it had to happen with him and not the hundred other horses I had ridden).

So, in the hospital, I asked the PT if I could try a pair of forearm crutches (the hospital had these crutches available to use, but not to purchase) and she had me do my PT with them. I liked the way I could move each crutch and I felt stable and balanced with them.

After my surgery, I flew back home and ordered a pair from Amazon. The only small challenge was learning how to free up one hand to grab stuff. Because I had a tough post operative course, I used my both of my crutches for several months, and eventually, I transitioned to just one crutch for several more weeks, never using a cane. Then, when I was much stronger, and more confident in myself, I stopped using the crutch (now they are in the garage).

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: Happy Sunday. Sounds like you’re progressing well, PP!

While I am itching to get busy outside, all the good reminders that you only get once chance to heal properly.
Words to live by. You won’t be sorry.

Less pain, swelling down, feeling well rested are all good things on Day Five.
Hope this day is a peaceful one. :)

There will be plenty of time to get outside and get everything done and the same goes for inside. What's a few weeds or dust bunnies when we have a new hip to take care of so that it is there for you for all the things you want to do. Good time to make plans for what you will do when hip is healed and ready for action

You are taking a very thoughtful approach to your healing and it will pay off well for you.

Congrats on the bathroom activities. Always a relief, mentally and physically.
Love reading that you are talking your walking slowly and steadily with the heel/toe approach.

You got this!

First follow - up appointment

Got to see my shiny new hip in the xrays - still a bit disassociated that the surgery happened. PA said that everything looks good, and we talked about taking it easy for another two weeks. I am still a bit frustrated by the difference in instructions in their booklet which stated both a 1 week follow-up and a 2 week follow-up. Seems there is confusion. I have mentioned in email the difference in the booklet, but unclear who in their office is going to see that it is clarified (in the manual).

The nurse took off the band-aid, and holy cow, she did not have good technique. She was pulling the sticky bandage away from the skin, and not really doing it slowly or gently. I can't imagine they don't have a technique/protocol with a wooden stick, etc. and slowly pull the skin away from the band-aid. The good news, the incision looks good.

Hello and Happy Tuesday,
Thanks for updating and sharing the good news @Pink Peony
still a bit disassociated that the surgery happened.
I felt like that upon viewing my x-ray at my first post op appt. It felt strange to see the prosthetic on the computer screen and realize it really had been implanted in my leg.
She was pulling the sticky bandage away from the skin, and not really doing it slowly or gently.
Yikes! Ouch...you‘d think she’s slowly roll it off, or something a bit more gentle.

First week down...moving right along :walking: Hope this week is a good one!

Day 11

Overall my recovery is going very well. Hurray! I am only on Tylenol, and have stopped all narcotics. A few days ago when I was trying to wean away from pain pills, I noticed slight pain, and took an occasional Tramadol. However, I now seem to be past that point.

Had my coverings removed on Day 7, and noticed a slight opening at the bottom of my wound closure (they used glue). It is tender, and possibly infected, so have sent a pic to my doctor's office to see if I need to come in. They said to leave alone when they removed the covering, but I think the slight opening has been aggravated by clothing.

Still using the walker, but will walk without anything for a few steps when taking a shortcut through my house. Per doctor, I am to use walker for another week. My home PT (they have come twice), suggest this weekend to walk a block or so, and I am looking forward to that.

I continue icing and using my PlasmaFlow for DVT (love them). I still have more swelling than I would like, but I was able to fit in my jeans for my appointment on Day 7. I am just anxious to be able to work out again, as this pandemic has not been kind to my waistline.

Finally, I appreciate other posters who provided updates on their recovery journey, as I continue to read other people's recovery threads to help calibrate my own journey.

What a wonderful community, this would be an incredible lonely journey without y'all!

Wonderful news all around! Especially for you at 11 days. Congrats!
I like that your doctor advises remaining on the walker for a while longer because slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks @CricketHip for the gentle reminder about slow and steady. Without reading about the ODIC club, etc., I wouldn't be as patient as I have been. I keep a mantra in my head about taking it slow now, will pay off later.

Wonderful progress at 11 days. I liked my walker even if all I did was push it ahead of me. I used it for a while during which time I concentrated on walking properly. I also used it extra long for late in evening , middle of the night bathroom visits and early morning when sometimes I was not as peppy or quite awake. My mantra was not to have any backward steps but forward progress. It worked for me.

Hello and Happy Saturday!
It‘s good to read your recovery is going well overall. Wondering if you’ve heard back from your doctor in regard to the photo you submitted of the open area of your incision? I’m sure they’ve told you what to look for, but just in case you haven’t heard back yet following are some of the most common signs of infection -
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
The incision is hot to the touch
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of the discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision

Fingers crossed its looking better today and is soon completely closed. In the interim, consider wearing very loose clothing, soft fabrics that don’t rub against the open area causing friction and further irritating the area especially since they advised leaving it uncovered. Not sure that I’d do that myself with it being open, but that’s your choice. To me, an open wound offers an opportunity for bacteria to enter. Not trying to scare you, just want you to be cautiously aware.

I hope you have a nice weekend in your area so you’re able to get out and enjoy some fresh air and sunshine. :SUNsmile:

@Pink Peony

Thank you Layla for your prompt response, you almost beat the doctor's office response. :)

First, I was going to share, that I am a proud University of Minnesota alumni, so I always get a warm, fuzzy when I noted you are from Minnesota. I haven't lived there in many years, but still have family, and great friends located there. I was actually raised in Western South Dakota, and have a fondness for the hardy people of that region.

I am in comfy and loose clothes, and it doesn't "sting" as much today. I still feel it was getting a little infected. I had a home PT appointment yesterday, and was very anxious to have her look at it. She felt that it looked okay, and what I thought was open, she thought was a scab. Attached are two pictures, one is a close-up of my area of concern. To orient, I had an anterior, so on the front of my thigh. I have only had water on the wounds (while showering).

Attachments

• wound 2.JPG
    wound 2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 347
  • Hip wound 1.JPG
    Hip wound 1.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 356
I probably shouldn’t even comment on this because I’m not a medical professional, but it doesn’t really look threatening to me. The only question I have is the golden / brownish colored tiny area about an inch up on the right side (on the photo) of your incision dried, or hardened pus? What did the doctors office have to say? Glad you’re on top of it!

Nice to hear my home state strikes up the warm and fuzzies. As you know we haven’t been getting too much good press here lately and understandably so. :sad:

Have a lovely Saturday!
@Pink Peony

Thank you Layla - and indeed I am awaiting my doctor's response. I know they are the only one to provide the final guidance, but meantime my anxiety starts to spiral.

As much as I really liked my surgeon, the communication time frame (for non-emergency requests) is not ideal. As an outsider, it just seems there would be more opportunities in doctor's offices for prompt responses. Ideally, more resources dedicated to quick turn-around on questions.

Please try not to worry. As I said it doesn’t look threatening to me and while the doctor needs to make that determination I wouldn’t offer words of encouragement or consolation if I didn’t feel that way. I’m sorry you’re not receiving a more prompt response. Hopefully you’ll hear something soon. Let us know what they say, if you care to share.
Sending a hug your way. :console2:

Hi Pink, At this stage of my healing, my incision was almost completely covered in steri strips which kept me from getting a really close look at it for several more weeks. Given how much I worry about such things, that was probably a good thing.

But -- if you need to call the office and talk to your surgeon, or your surgeon's PA -- for sanity's sake is as good a reason as any -- I would suggest that you call that number and tell the people you need to talk to someone NOW. I had to do this for hubby a few months ago (all came out fine), and it's kindof remarkable how ... insistent one needs to be sometimes, in order to get their attention. Think Khrushchev and the shoe.

And please keep us posted, we care about how you are doing ...

Thank you cstinchomb - your recovery thread is actually one I am referring to often. Last night I purchased trekking poles as a result. :) I am also planning on getting out my resistance bands for my arms, and like you I am really missing the discipline of going into the gym. I know I can workout at home with all the great online resources, but it just isn't the same.

It took me a moment to remember who Kruschchev was, but then it dawned on me the incident to which you are referring. I hate to be pushy, but we all need to advocate for our own health. It just seems that the responsiveness of the health care team isn't keeping pace with the demands.

My incision looks a lot less "angry" today, so I am less concerned about infection. I am also following the massage techniques recommended by yourself and other members to reduce scarring. As soon as I get clearance I am going to put scar tape on my incision. I have had laser therapy on previous scars, and that has also helped to minimize.

I'm so glad that you've found my thread useful; thank you for your kind words.
That Khrushchev bit with the shoe, at the United Nations, I figured that would date me pretty good.
I'm so glad your incision looks better :loveshwr:, you are healing up, and that you are advocating for your health. I do not find that easy to do myself (esp. for myself), either. Lotta history here, of "It'll be OK. It'll just heal up."

I know I can workout at home with all the great online resources, but it just isn't the same.

I so agree. The more I do it, the more exercises I find that I can emulate with the tools at hand (yesterday -- rear delt cable crosses with the band) -- even though I really wish it were safe enough to just. go. to. the. gym. But it's not, and not getting any better out there :sad:.

I waited to put the tape on until the steri strips were all off and my incision was completely closed. It's hard to know how much good it actually does, but it definitely keeps it safe from clothing. I think my left one took about a year to look pretty much like it does now.

:wave:@Pink Peony
Glad you feel that incision is looking better and the main thing you can do is not agitate the area with clothing or massage.
Basically, 'scar' is a fibrous material which the body develops when there has been an injury or wound in the skin and/or deeper tissues. At its most basic, it is the matrix of new cells that binds the edges of a cut together. Once it's done it's job and sealed the wound, it settles down into a fine, thin line which is pliable and almost invisible.
Maybe you could consider the Active Skin Repair Hydrogel.
You can check out out the blue banner at the top of the page about a safe way to promote healing and minimize scar's appearance.
I believe @FCBayern used this product and is happy with the results.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom