THR Shibbard’s recovery thread

shibbard

Country
United States United States
RTHR (anterior) on Tuesday 4/23, surgeon said it went “perfectly”. A little excitement in recovery as I suffered an extreme drop in BP, it took about 4 hours there and a trip to ICU to get it stabilized. My poor husband was in the surgical waiting room for 6 hours with not much info, thanks to propofol I guess I don’t remember much of it. Anyway, i got stable and transferred to the regular Ortho floor by 8 pm, even got out of bed and did first PT that evening. MorePT and OT yesterday morning, discharged by 10 am and home by noon. Kind of a whirlwind adventure!

I’m on a walker for 2 weeks per doctors orders. My hip feels perfect, some bruised feeling in quadriceps, and a distinct sharp burning pain about 1” lateral and parallel to my incision when I walk or completely straighten that hip joint, or doing my butt-clench exercises. The dressing over the incision and visible skin looks fine. Internal stitches pulling? I slept great last night at home in my own bed, napping a lot today. Icing and exercising between naps.

Wow, that was an interesting start! A trip to the ICU! Thankfully things turned around and you were out of bed moving within hours. It's wonderful you slept well in your own bed your first night home.

I will leave our Recovery Guidelines with best wishes as you begin healing. Stop back often and share updates so we're able to follow your progress. :)

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congrats, just take it easy first couple weeks, don't overdo. My prescription (I'm not a doctor), is rest, ice, elevate. Get up & take a spin around the house, maybe fix a coffee or a snack, sit & chill then back to bed & nap.
I was able to cook at home after first week. However I needed a lot of sleep so I slept when I could & ice was my very best friend.
Best wishes.

Welcome to the Recovery side, @shibbard. :wave:

Sounds like you had quite a journey to get here. So please take things S L O W L Y! Give your body the chance to recover from the trauma of surgery (and your ER visit!).

We are here to help.

a distinct sharp burning pain about 1” lateral and parallel to my incision when I walk or completely straighten that hip joint, or doing my butt-clench exercises. The dressing over the incision and visible skin looks fine. Internal stitches pulling?
Probably swelling that is pressing on incision and making the skin tight and sore. I found it lasts for a week or so and gets better with lots of icing and elevation.

**Update**

Day 10, this is just about the first day I’ve felt like I may actually return to normal!

I had almost no swelling at all, nor really even that much pain. But I was so very tired for the first 7-8 days. I would get up around 6 am (normally rise at 5), take my meds, do exercises laying on the couch, walk one circuit around the house then take a morning nap. Get up, not hungry for lunch, take meds, exercise, walk once around house, take afternoon nap. Get up, make myself eat a bit of supper, watch some Jeopardy, exercises, walk, go upstairs to bed by 7 pm almost shaking with fatigue. I was also icing in this schedule as much as possible.

Yesterday I skipped the morning nap, but was still very tired in the afternoon and evening. Today I left the house for the first time, DH took me to see my horse and visit a bit with barn friends this morning. I walked on my own! I’ve been using the walker a lot around the house just due to fatigue but today I felt very stable without it! Took just a short nap this afternoon even after my big adventure.

My primary pain has been a burning, pulling sensation parallel to and lateral to my (anterior) incision. Really quite painful when my leg was straightened when walking, (or during butt clenching exercises) but nowhere near the joint or even the incision. Also burning tenderness to touch along the outside of my thigh. I messaged the surgeons office about it and was told “Normal, should resolve eventually but can’t say how quickly… don’t do the butt-clenching exercises” isn’t that the punch line to a joke? “Doc, it hurts when I do this?” Doc - “So don’t do this.” This continues and I can’t really say if it’s getting better or if I’m just getting acclimated to it.

Otherwise some random various come-and-go aches around the joint like tendons and ligaments complaining. Usually later in the day after my pathetic attempts at activity. A couple of instances of knee and outer calf pain but nothing really bad and so far always gone by the next morning. Occasionally I’ve felt just a little instability in the joint itself but today it feels really strong and tight. Yay!

I used tramadol evening and morning for about 4 days. I think some of my fatigue could have been caused or Exacerbated by that. Came off for a few days and had a few nights of bad sleep so went back on evening only for one day. Last two days acetaminophen only, no tramadol. Dr. prescribed OxyContin if needed after Tramadol but I never used it. Some mild stomach upset from all the meds, plus constipation on and off but that’s gradually resolving.

Waterproof dressing comes off on Monday. I have some tenderness over the incision area but what I can see looks good. I’m ready to get it off.

I think I see a light at the end of this tunnel. Hopefully this will help reassure others going through some of the same symptoms. It gets better! And, of course, I have no hip pain! With all the recovery stuff it’s easy to forget that part!!

My return visit isn’t until May 24, 4 weeks po. Unless I have concerns prior.

Sounds very similar to my recovery. I think actually all the tiredness and napping ensured rest and recovery. I found that there was a vast improvement at the two week mark with both hips as swelling went down and energy increased. Hope it continues to improve for you.

@shibbard It sounds to me like you are doing quite well over all! The fatigue is normal - it takes a lot of energy to heal from this surgery (from any surgery actually). I remember having "nap attacks" for months after my hip replacements.

The odd twinges and strange sensations are also normal. Consider how long it took for your hip to get so bad it needed to be replaced. During that time all your muscles and tendons in that leg .... AND in the other leg, your back, and possibly other areas of your body .... were getting out of shape and not functioning as they should. So now every thing needs to be retrained and reconditioned. Even the odd numb sensations are normal and usually are temporary.

Brava to you and may your healing progress steadily :flwrysmile::cheers2::prayer:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Loki54
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom