TKR Phrog's Great Expectations - Downgraded a Little<

Enjoy life. Stress is rough on the immune system and if it was stress of surgery that triggered your problems, stress will only compound matters. So live, love, laugh and be merry this holiday season. It can’t hurt anything, it might help things, and you will make the world brighter for yourself and your loved ones. :friends:

Surgery can trigger things. My hysterectomy a few years ago triggered the onset of diabetes. Thanks a lot for that. I hope your doctors can find ways to resolve or deal with your PMR and lichen planus. Until then, yay for fun in the pool. It’s good you’re keeping your knee on the go. :yay:
 
I’m sorry to admit that I’m sorry I had the surgery. I know it hasn’t been a year yet so there’s still room to improve, and even improve way past that year, but even at 8.5 months complete recovery still seems so far away.

I don’t have actual pain, but still a lot of discomfort.

I was shopping earlier today for pants that my knee might like (fabric-wise) and just bending my knee and picking it up off the floor to put the pants on was very uncomfortable, and the pant leg I was aiming for was practically on the floor.

Last week I bought pants that were on the dressier side and very thin knit and a wider leg and I wore them Saturday on my outing and my knee tolerated them well. So today I bought a similar pair.

My knee did not like the new jeans I wore bowling yesterday. I couldn’t wait to get home and put shorts on.

These are the things that I wasn’t expecting in recovery at all, let alone at 8 months.
 
And talking about other physical issues that may or may not be a result from the surgery, my eyesight changed drastically from before surgery to after. I noticed it the day after surgery when I had trouble reading my cell phone because it was too blurry whereas I could read it fine without my glasses the day before surgery. I figured it was from the anesthesia, or maybe the pain medication, but it never got better even after I was off the prescription pain medicine. Almost 2 months after surgery I had to get new glasses. My reading was now way worse but my distance was way better.

Not happy about that change. My husband says I’m getting older and my eyes changed as older eyes do. But overnight? Coinciding with surgery? I don’t think so.
 
I hope your internist can get your autoimmune issues under control Phrog. You have a great attitude to deal with these surprise complications on top of TKR recovery. I'm glad you can go at your pace with a supportive DH. I am having discomfort in my TKR leg that I had before the surgery -- I figured the TKR would clear it up . . . some sort of tendonitis I fear. I think that is what is making me feel less than 100% glad to have had the surgery.
 
@Jockette , I think discomfort is pain - pain we put up with because we want to be tough and we want to stay active and we don't even want to consider that maybe our surgeries weren't the success we'd hoped for. I am sad that both of us regret having the surgery, but I think it's fairly common to have regrets about some aspects of knee surgery. I had two friends who had TKR and on seeing how hard it was for me to get up and down, squat, and walk for any distance. They both told me I needed to do have surgery or face bigger problems. Two OS told me I was bone on bone and needed surgery - and yet it was really an elective surgery that hasn't delivered what I'd hoped for, and what was never specifically promised: that I would be able to get down on the floor and back up again without pain so I could play with my grandson and get pots and pans out of the lower cabinets; that I'd be able to resume hiking and riding my bike longer distances; that I'd be able to take my 2 year old grandson to Disneyland and keep up with him; that I'd be able . well, you get the idea. I do regret my decision because I can do less than I could before the surgery. And all that regret is before we even discuss the autoimmune stuff. I can't imagine my jeans and other pants bothering my leg. That's a daily irritation for you!! And the eyes - just yuck on the eyes. Reading and sewing and using the computer are such a part of life. I hope all of this settles down for you. I notice that you do stay busy and active and you constantly look for the good - I appreciate that because it encourages all of us.

@kmak81230, thanks for support on the autoimmune stuff. I am so glad I trust and love my internist. I know that we will figure it out and she'll help me deal with it if it doesn't easily go into remission. I hope the tendinitis or whatever mystery is going on with your TKR leg resolves itself so you can count yourself among those super-satisfied with their surgeries.
 
Hopefully as time goes on and our knees continue to heal we will reach that complete recovery status.

I’m sorry you have a thyroid issue that is very difficult. But your attitude is great, much better than mine! Your great attitude encourages me to try to have a better attitude and look at the positive things in my life, and not at my disappointment that my partial replacement did not go the way the advertisements said it would. :console2:
 
My recovery from TKR hasn’t been as rosy as I’d like, either. Stairs are still difficult, probably because my flexion still hovers somewhere around 3/100, and I can walk a mile or two, but nothing like I used to do. I’m happy I don’t have the extreme pain I had before the surgery, but there’s still quite a hitch in my giddy-up. I may be stuck with moving more like an old lady and less like the sprightly young thing I envisioned pre-TKR. This bothers me, but I’m getting on with my life. I absolutely needed the surgery because the pain was becoming unbearable. It’s difficult to even remember how hampered I was in my movements because of the pain, but I was reduced in a matter of a couple of months from walking multiple miles per day to using a walker to enter a restaurant or do a short bit of grocery-shopping. However limited I am now, it’s better than dealing with that.

My thyroid function went haywire after surgery, which caused lots of uncomfortable symptoms. The thyroid controls a lot of systems in the body, so any imbalance can result in body-temperature issues; achy, grumpy muscles; skin eruptions and itchiness; sleep disruptions; depression; etc, etc, etc. Some of these things were also results of using opioids; so a one-two punch! I’m still dealing with balancing my thyroid function, which involves repeated testing and adjusting of medication (thyroid hormone). I empathize with you, @phrog ; this process is quite the headache, isn’t it?

@Jockette, I experienced big changes in my eyesight as you did; yet, my eye doctor found no difference in the measurements for magnification. He thinks that the opioids affected my ability to focus while I was on them, and for at least a month afterward; but he says that this problem (Presbyopia) is age-related, and that the medications simply enhanced the condition and drew my attention to it. Drat! I have moved over my lifetime from being very near-sighted, to being farsighted in both eyes. Reading print without glasses is impossible now. Painting, where I’m looking at something in the distance, then down at my artwork, is challenging. (And that’s an understatement.) I guess I can’t blame it on the surgery, though. The surgery simply brought the issue to my attention and reminded me that aging isn’t for the faint of heart!
 
Last edited:
I’m sitting here semi-watching The Doctor’s while nattering away on my iPad. A guest on that program who has partially triumphed over some medical issue or other just said: “When I focus on the solution, problems die of neglect.” He talked about getting out and living life, however imperfect it may be, and mentioned getting involved with others as a way to take the main focus off his problems.

My life really collapsed into a narrow tunnel of physical difficulty and pain. I retired a few years ago and had a period of time where I pulled into myself and enjoyed not joining anything. My vision was to do more painting; and to stop being the “fair-weather,” “paint-only-on-vacation” type of wannabe artist. So I didn’t set up my retirement to have lots of people in it; didn’t volunteer with the Reading People or the hospital gift shop; so...

Now I need to restructure my life to include more people and activities, because I can move around fairly well, and I’m counting on you guys to help me do that! We strugglers/stragglers have to stick together, @phrog and @Jockette! Thank you so much for the honesty and transparency in describing your struggles. That’s a good thing.
 
@Polkadot - I like your attitude, lady!! :loveshwr: We may not be where we thought we were going, but there are always things to celebrate where we are. I love your comment about the hitch in your giddy-up. My mama always said that. You are right about including people in your life - whether family, friends or co-volunteers, it enriches our lives, our mental and physical health, to interact with others. Is your thyroid fast or slow? I'm interested in whether surgery might trigger it both directions.

@Jockette , my eyes have been bad for years - I first noticed it when I retired and the eye doc said that he thought it was because I was reading more, but the truth is I read and used a computer constantly as a special ed teacher writing reports and communicating with parents and staff. My thyroid went nuts for the second time just months after I retired so I think although I didn't get the overly prominent eyes associated with it, it had to have some effect.

My doctor messaged me this morning that my thyroid numbers are higher still. She is taking me off all meds. Thank goodness. I know she had to titrate me down, but I have been a little concerned about taking a thyroid supplement when my numbers we so high.

Thanks to all of you for your support. It helps!:friends:
 
Geez-oh-Pete, @phrog! Now that I know you were a special ed teacher, it’s no wonder you needed a TKR, plus I have always been amazed at how gracious sp ed teachers are about doing all that paperwork and extra meetings. I just have to say it: Thank you for your service! (It doesn’t apply only to the military—you were on the front lines of education for years.)

My thyroid is slow. ( Hashimotos is destroying the gland bit by bit. According to the ultrasound, my gland looks like a shrinking pyramid. It’s supposed to look like a butterfly). When I had the TKR, though, my hormone production evidently went into overdrive for a while. I stopped taking the hormone for about a month because of all the debilitating symptoms—shakiness, revved-up heartbeat, agitation, sleeplessness, hair fallout, etc—and now my doctor is trying to titrate the correct current dose of thyroxine. Fun times.

Of course, my most pressing concern is the thinning hair. :gaah::groan::yikes: I’ve always had a thick head of hair; even when I had chemo, it survived. Now, however, my part seems to be getting bigger. At this rate, my husband and I may have matching hairstyles sooner rather than later! :shocked: (He has the fringe around his ears). I’ve never considered myself particularly vain—don’t even wear makeup, except when I’m going to a wedding, perhaps—but this is really upsetting to me...:sorry:
 
Phrog and Polkadot,
Hugs to both of you! :console2::console2:
 
@Polkadot, thanks for the applause. I loved what I did and loved my kids - don't all teachers come to think of their students as their kids? It was fun to work with parents and supportive staff. No thanks needed - it was a pleasure. The only thing that might have contributed to a TKR is that I often walked from student to student on my knees because it was easier than getting up and down! People kept warning me, but I guess I have always talked more than I have listened. :heehee:

It seems you and I started out with opposite thyroid problems and ended up with the same one. Four years ago, mine was fast, meds were used to slow it down, and it finally gave in and stopped working. Supplements were prescribed. Then, four years later, knee surgery and hyperthyroid while still on thyroid meds. My OS says he doesn't think that surgery could trigger the thyroid, but my primary disagrees -- and you and I are living proof! I hope you reach optimal dosage quickly. I wish my doc had taken me off all at once rather than slowly decreasing only to find that it didn't slow down anyway. I still have some days when I am shaking and have palpitations, but energy level is really high (I may miss that when it's under control). I'm testing again in 3 weeks.

I know what you mean about the hair too - mine is growing really fast, but falling out at the same time. Akkkkk!! :hairpulling: I can't wait for both you and me to get this under control so we can start to feel strength in our fabulous new knees again.
 
phrog, jockette and polkadot ~ hugs to all of you. i'm just getting caught up on the threads and sorry to hear of issues aside from knees, as if that wasn't enough! @Polkadot my r.o.m. is about the same as yours and, although i go up and down the stairs alternate feet, there is still that tightness and uncertainty, requiring me to hold on to handrails (i have them on both sides of stairs). i do practise every so often not holding on. let's hope we're all a lot better after this winter. Happy Thanksgiving!:friends:
 
I saw dear Mita the internist yesterday. I took a long list of questions about the thyroid, PMR and lichen planus autoimmune gum disease. She was wonderfully patient and understanding. She said she had been thinking about the PMR since last week and is not so sure I have it. It remains a possibility but she thinks that maybe the lichen planus and thyroid have affected the SED rate, which is only moderately elevated indicating inflammation. My tremors, palpitations and heart rate have increased again, which seems wrong since I am now not taking any thyroid supplement. She says that if my numbers are not better in the blood work that I am getting done in 2-1/2 weeks, she will refer me back to the endocrinologist because that might indicate that I have thyroiditis again. I just hope that this resolves on it's own in the next few days. I am impatient to get back on the road to TKR recovery. My poor legs have been angry a lot - my surgical leg significantly more than the other - but quads in both legs, along with my IT band and shins, spend altogether too much time screaming at me even though I'm doing little exercise apart from mild water exercise 2-3 times a week. Mita, the Marvelous One, says that we need to get the thyroid problem and lichen planus under control and then determine whether I have PMR. Somewhere in there we will hopefully find out whether the pain in my legs is from weakened quads (thyroid), PMR, or some yet to be discovered problem with the surgery (x-rays will be done at the end of Feb. at my one year check). I'm resigned to this detour, but working my way back to the highway.
 
:console2:

I’m so sorry you are going through all this.

:console2:
 
It is hard, having a bunch of unknowns hovering around. Knock one down, another pops up. And yet throughout it all you have been upbeat and encouraging to all of the rest of us.

God bless you...
 
It's wonderful that your internist is taking you seriously and is working with you to get some answers. You are in my thoughts. XO
 
@phrog -just want you to know that you are not alone. I am in the midst of having many blood tests trying to regulate my thyroid medications as well as eye tests, MRI's on my head and eye orbit bones and ultrasound on my carotid arteries.
It seems as though a tkr isn't problem enough and my old lady body wants to run me through the gamut of future body parts failures!
Tomorrow and Friday are the MRIs to determine the cause of a drooping eyelid. My doc wants to rule out the possibility of a mini stroke. Fortunately my eye doc thinks it's an "aging" thing and is sending me to a "lid guy" lol and that only because it is affecting my vision.
I will get the results of all these tests when I see my PCP in December.
I sit waiting with bated breath to see what body part wants to be next in line!
 
@Canada35 - good grief - I'm sorry you are in the Aging Ain't What It's Cracked Up to Be Club. I hope the MRI's and blood work don't indicate a stroke or anything else nefarious and that the doctors get the thyroid meds straightened out soon. I remember you saying weeks ago that your doctor was on leave or something and you had to wait to get your levels checked. It's funny (strange, not ha-ha funny) that three of us who have been communicating a lot on here are having thyroid issues. After I wrote that last sentence I looked it up, and read that 1 in 8 will have a thyroid problem in their lifetime, so maybe it's not so strange afterall!! Wishing you good news as you deal with the medical community over the next several weeks. Thank you - and thanks to Jockette, rubyyarn, liam2015, Polkadot, kmak81230, jaschembra, Pheebs52, and so many others who have been supportive.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's been two months since last I posted on my own thread. I am now two days past the 11 month anniversary of my LTKR. I do still have a fast thyroid which has complicated my TKR, according to internist, OS and now an endocrinologist. I've been told by them that hyperthyroid over the long haul increases the metabolism and can cause muscle loss. The endocrinologist told me last week that being hyperthyroid was a serious complication after TKR surgery and that I should expect that my muscle strength will be slow in coming back. I wasn't surprised as this is my third dance in 15 years with this hamster wheel called hyperthyroid. :tiredwheel:

I was put on meds to slow my thyroid last week, but after taking just four doses, I continue to have tremors, weakness, insomnia and pain in both legs. I'm sure that will start to get better soon. It does not seem possible to separate my thyroid issues from my recovery from surgery. My first post-surgery thyroid test was done in July, and was trending to hyper then, about 4 months after my surgery. I am not sure how long before that it might have been fast.

My ROM, as from day one, is excellent. I haven't measured it since I stopped PT at week 12 or so, but it was 132 flex and 0 extension then. It is at least that good now. The last couple of months have been hard. Christmas preparations caused a lot of pain from standing for cooking and baking - and from climbing up and down stepstools to hang decorations, and I fell on the concrete garage floor two days before Christmas. Since mid-September, I have to use a cane for walking more than a block or two. I saw the internist about my thyroid in mid January and she took x- rays of my left knee and hip because both have been angry with me (all along on the TKR journey, but particularly since the fall). She was concerned that the fall might have loosened my implant, but the x-rays were fine, so I assume any pain I am having must be soft tissue of some sort. I will see my OS at the one year point or thereabout in late February or early March, and he will take his own x-rays at that point. His advice at roughly 7 months, was that all my discomfort is due to the thyroid being too fast and I should continue to exercise to avoid losing muscle mass. I think I may ask about an MRI if my level of discomfort stays what it is now, though I don't know whether he would order one given the state of my thyroid.

I continue with just my arthritis water exercise class. My legs are too weak for the arthritis toning "land" class I had. I can't stand on one leg for long enough to do the strengthening exercises in the land class, while the water seems to support me in the pool and I have better stability when standing on one leg. I work once or twice a month with a trainer in the pool and she helps me decide which exercises I can do on my own that will help rebuild strength and not cause pain. In October, my OS wanted me to continue doing the treadmill walking and stationary bike riding I'd been doing, along with the pool and tone-up class, but I've stopped. There was just too much pain from shin splints and my quads screaming about what I was asking them to do.

Re-reading this, it strikes me as pretty doom and gloom, but in fact, life is good. Now that I'm recovered from the flu which I had for the first three weeks of January, I'm going out with friends, doing the grocery shopping and heading for the hills (literally) with my husband as we escape valley fog for clearer skies in the foothills of the Sierra. I can't drive more than about a half hour without complaints from hip and leg, but being a passenger is pretty easy as I can shift position to get more comfortable. Hubby is good about agreeing to stop after an hour and a half or so and I get out and stretch and walk a bit. We are going to try to get up at 4:30 tomorrow morning so we can drive up above the fog to see the lunar eclipse which is supposed to peak here around 5:30 am. I don't love using the cane, but it's a small price to pay for independence and a chance to see and do the things I want to see and do.

I'm still not sure I would do this surgery again - at least not without some assurance that my thyroid won't act up again. The only way to do that is probably to have a radio-active iodine treatment, which the endocrinologist has suggested is an option if the meds don't work as well as he hopes they will.

So, Bone Smarties, that's more than you ever wanted to know about this phrog's recovery. Hope all of you are having success as you continue your post-op journeys. I truly believe my quads, my knees and the rest of me will eventually get to a place where I can say my knee is almost normal - and that will be something to celebrate! :loveshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom