TKR Phrog's Great Expectations - Downgraded a Little<

@phrog, the Zinfandel sounds lovely!

Ruby and Polkadot, you both should have come over, the ice blankie would have covered everyone and I know the wine kept flowing judging by my headache this morning. A small price to pay for an evening at Camp Kneerah, lol!
 
I love the title of your thread, it's so true! It speaks for many of us.
 
Missed my Tone-Up class this morning, fielding messages and checking on friends and relatives who live in the fire zones in Santa Rosa and Loma Rica -- California burning rather than dreaming yesterday and today. Since I didn't go to Tone-Up, I got on the stationary bike for 13 minutes (I was aiming for 10 and lost track) and then got on the treadmill at 2.6 mph. After about 10 minutes on the treadmill my cast iron skillet seemed to attach itself to my knee and I slowed the belt down some. At 12 minutes, my hip buckled a little - and by 13 minutes it had done it twice more. Being afraid of falling, I got off. I'm thinking 26 minutes of exercise will do it for today. I see my primary care doc at 3 this afternoon to discuss thyroid and other issues. I see the OS on Friday. I spent about two hours over the weekend writing out what exercises I'm doing at home and in class and what symptoms I am still having with my leg. I printed out a anatomical picture of two legs and marked up the places where I still have pain and weakness. The OS may think I'm overthinking this, but it will be 7-1/2 months on Friday, and I want to take advantage of every minute of this appointment. I may take the print out to my primary too so she can weigh in on whether I'm doing the right amount/kind of exercise and whether she thinks the thyroid is affecting me. I'm feeling positive that something good will come out of these two appointments.
 
I hope your appointments go well.

You will let us know how you get on, won't you?
 
Hi Phrog -- I sure hope your appointments go well this week. I think it's a great idea to go prepared with notes, questions, etc. We don't get enough time with our docs as it is so I think it's good to take advantage of the time we have -- they certainly charge our insurance plenty for the visit. I hope all your friends and relatives fare well with the fires - the winds have been horrific which makes it challenging to get these fires under control. Kneerah for the 26 minutes of exercise.
 
@phrog, I always go to the doc visits with a complete laundry list of questions and concerns, otherwise, I'd forget half of what I wanted to discuss; pffft!

I'd think your 26 minutes of exercise was more than sufficient, but then, I am pleased with 15-20 minutes, lol.

I really hope you get some sensible answers and solutions for your ongoing medical concerns. Sending "Special Healing Pixie Dust," your way!
 
You were definitely getting in a lot of exercise. But yes! Take everything to your doctor visits. It can only help. I always have my questions written down and when we are getting ready to be finished, I whip them out to make sure I have covered everything.

Hope everyone is okay in CA. I was hearing about the fires today... floods, fires, earthquakes, hurricanes...
 
Good idea to have your questions written down. @dvannie suggested it to me because my OS is usually very quick with not too much conversation. She goes to the same group practice as I do and she noticed my OS gave more time to a patient who had their questions written down so I took her advice and he made sure we covered all of my questions and concerns.
 
:thankyou:everyone for the kind comments about the fires and concerns for my doctor visit. I have several relatives under evacuation orders but the fires are an hour and a half from me. I am very worried about family and a couple of friends right now.

@Pheebs52, thanks so much for the pixie dust - I am sure it will have me dancing the pixie dance in no time. That, or changing my thyroid meds, which is what the first order of business was today. My blood pressure was high, my heart was palpitating, I have tremors in my hands and she had to help me up on the exam table because it's a high step and I accidentally led with the leftie which was too weak to make the climb. It was almost laughable. For once, all the problems I have been having showed up in the doctor's office with me! I asked and she said she believes that the trauma of surgery may have triggered hyperthyroid and since I was on meds for hypo - oops! It is likely the weakness in my muscles caused by the hyperthyroid, may have led to the pain and dysfunction in my knee/thighs etc. Hallelujah! I am not crazy! I see the OS on Friday and I hope he agrees with her assessment and gives me advice too good not to follow! Knee-rah!
 
Last edited:
@phrog, what absolutely fabulous news, if one can call a hyperthyroid fabulous, lol. I'm also delighted to hear you are not actually certifiable, just pleasantly wonky like most of us.:heehee:

I wonder how quickly your new medication will make a difference on your achy-breaky planet? Hopefully, *wicked-fast* as we say here!

Still keeping the good vibes and rain dances up for Cali; just awful!
 
@Pheebs52 - funny you should put it that way -When I posted last time I almost said I was relieved to find I am not certifiable. :loll:Great minds do tend to think alike.

I'm hoping for some noticeable difference within a few days, at least in terms of heart palpitations. It will take substantially longer for leg strength to come back. Four years ago it was months and months that turned in to over a year. The endocrinologist told me the legs are the last thing to come back. The primary has me off all thyroid meds for three days and then has substantially reduced the amount of supplement I have to take. This can be a long process - rechecking and recalibrating every six weeks, but I am sooooo relieved that there is likely nothing wrong with the new knee - it's just a muscle problem brought on by too much thyroid. To celebrate I did too much in water aquatics today. :heehee::swim: See - I am certifiable.

Thanks for the good vibes. The Golden State needs them right now. My cousins in Santa Rosa are within a mile of flames with a fire coming down the ridge toward them. Hubby's family are all in the area north of Sacramento (Loma Rica/Cascade fire)and are hanging on and staying for now. They are watching the winds, wetting things down and taking care of their horses/cows, etc. They live right on the main evacuation route so should be OK.
 
So scary for you and your family right now. Prayers are with them and all of those in the path of the horrific fire. There are thousands of hectares of vines and wineries in jeapardy as well.
I am interested to hear how your thyroid medication changes affect your recovery as I have thyroid problems as well and have not had my levels checked since before surgery. I never really connected the dots before that it could affect my muscle recovery.
 
Thanks so much, @Canada35. I'm tracking the progression of the fires on a mapping website and I am scared for my family. Cell service and internet signals have been weak in the fire zones so it's hard for them to get information out to us, particularly with the Santa Rosa relatives.

I'll post how my muscle strength progresses. Does your thyroid tend to be fast? I have had three separate episodes of hyper - but four years ago when they medicated to slow it down, it slowed down too much and they started supplementing. When my thyroid jump started itself after the surgery, I ended up with too much thyroid hormone in my system. I am just so happy to have an explanation.
 
Sending good wishes for your family and friends in harms way - so scary. Sounds like perhaps the winds will abate for a day or two which may help some. One of my travel team hockey teammates lost her home and she and her husband are glad to have gotten out with their lives. Glad you have some thyroid answers and I hope you will start to see some muscle strength improvement. Yes, keep us posted about your progress.
 
Saw my OS today. He was as handsome as ever, and kind, and paid attention, and had actually read the treatise I emailed him earlier in the week outlining all things wrong with my recovery. I kind of love him. :heehee: He pronounced my knee in excellent shape and said (from his perspective) since I have excellent ROM and extension, my recovery is right on target. Good news, but I wish I had less pain to go with it! :shrug:

He said it's unfortunate that I've lost the muscle strength due to the thyroid issues, and that is what is causing the pain. He reminded me that strength can come back with exercise and time and there is no time limit on it. He said the un-BoneSmart phrase, "You only have a year to achieve good ROM" and told me not to worry. Note to self: I have good ROM so do not worry, Janet! :SUNsmile:

He said I have to expect a slight level of soreness from exercise because part of gaining strength is that slight muscle trauma (soreness) is needed to stimulate protein production and build muscle. He said if I am sore three days after an activity, I've done too much, but slight soreness for one day is actually helpful. He said I am doing everything right and just keep doing what I am doing. He said it is a year long recovery and he will see me in four months when it's been a year and he's sure I will have the recovery I'd hoped for. He moved my hips and said they are in perfect in terms of flexibilty. He laughed when I told him about my ankle, knee, hip rhythm section but just thinks it is a result of the muscle weakness.

I am ashamed to admit on this board that I am a member in good standing of the ODIC because I do something almost every day that leaves me sore the next so I am not really giving the muscles a chance to heal and build that strength. :swim::treadmill::upright::walking: Note to self: Mama said patience is a virtue and I should have listened. On my honor, I will try to do my duty to. . . to my leg and not over do the exercise!

He said my primary is the one who will be instrumental in me gaining leg strength and being pain free because she will get my thyroid regulated. He also told me to continue to take the Tylenol but to add Ibuprofen for the arthritis inflammation that is causing pain in hands and other areas.

As we waited for the elevator, my husband commented that when we had the pre-op appointments we were told it was a 6-8 week recovery. At the 8 week check, we were told it was a three to six month recovery and now, finally the truth, it is a year (which I knew from being on this board). We all have said it before: wish the docs would let us know ahead of time what the truth of recovery can be.

I guess I was in la la land thinking that he might say he was concerned and wanted to do additional x-rays or an MRI or something to see if anything else is going on with the knee. It's not that I am wanting to find something else wrong, but I guess I didn't believe that the thyroid was the only thing interfering with my recovery. I just "kneed" to accept that this is normal for me - me with the crazy thyroid hormone levels. He said there will be xrays at my one year visit.

Thanks for all the support you Smarties give me. Reading your stories about overcoming serious glitches makes me realize that "I've got this!" My problems are small compared to so many and I just have to open my can of patience and get on with life.

Speaking of problems bigger than mine, winds of 60 mph are expected in northern California tomorrow. Cross your fingers, say a prayer, send good wishes for firefighters and those in danger of losing their homes. Thanks, folks.
 
@phrog, good news that you are not crazy: it's that dang old thyroid! Best wishes for a quick discovery of the correct thyroid hormone dose!
 
Last edited:
@phrog what a great report from your OS! I'm sure once your thyroid is within the correct levels, you will see a big difference. I am praying for the safety of all those in Northern California. :fingersx:
 
Sounds like a great report and I can relate so closely to what you say and what your OS says. I was lucky that my OS told me I would "ache" 6-8 months - I would say it's more than an ache though lol so he didn't portray that very well but what doctors do. :)

Let's just continue to heal. Looking back maybe I do wish I had them both done together but then I'd be freaking out twice as much sometimes.

I do hope those winds calm down. CA needs some relief.
 
Thanks, ladies. It really is a good report. @jaschembra LOL - certainly more than an ache, but pain is hard to describe. I think continuing to heal is a great way to express it. We can't help but do that, right?

I also could have done both legs at once, but opted not to - I'm glad right now. For awhile I thought I should have gotten it over with, but with the weakness now I might be on crutches if I'd done that.

@ Polkadot - I may be crazy but at least not about what I am feeling in my legs!:heehee: I'm grateful that neither of my doctors dismissed what I've said about the pain.

Thanks, too, for your good wishes for those affected by the fires. My cousin texted this morning that her kids were told to evacuate immediately (for the third time this week). They live about two miles from her (and my other cousin) and are going to her house for now. The winds are crazy.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom