TKR Phrog's Great Expectations - Downgraded a Little<

Oh yes, been there, done that, though never had to go to the dr to fix it!
:bawl:
 
Great news about your accomplishments and your upbeat attitude! :spin:
 
Oh, no...not the rotary cutter! I did that once, about six weeks after I ran a sewing-machine needle through my thumb. People just don't realize how dangerous sewing can be. :loll:I'm not laughing at your injury, though. I hate even thinking about it. Isn't it great how they can glue things like that now? I had to have stitches. I think the glue does a better job of mending it so that there isn't much of a scar.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your update reminds me of me. Can I do all the things I wanted to do pre-TKR? No, because some of the limitations I had back then weren't due completely to my crumbling knee. I still get out of chairs stiffly after sitting for some time, and getting up can still hurt, just for one example. I'm still achy and creaky, especially during bouts of wet weather. My hips still hurt, especially the left one. My left ankle, which I thought would be "cured" with the TKR (because my podiatrist thought it was related to the knee and my walking mechanics), still hurts after I walk for a while, or--go figure!--sit too long in recliner position. I don't think Disney World is in the cards for me any time soon, but I might be able to visit my daughter in San Francisco and do a bit of walking. In general, though, I'm in a better place than pre-TKR!
 
I'm so glad your thyroid issues are improving. What a headache! But you've kept up your exercise and kept building muscle in your knee, as much as was possible. That's paying off for you. I hope the Disney goes well and you don't have to use a wheelchair, though of course it's best to use one if you need it. Go to the head of the line, and all that. :)

Sorry about the tub and having to wait. You quilters... I dunno. Quilting sounds dangerous! Who knew? :flabber:
 
@Polkadot - ouch! I've done the needle in the finger thing too and that is far worse in terms of pain than the rotary cutter. But, I wasn't on aspirin then and didn't have the bleeding problem. The glue was amazing! The urgent care doc told me that they use it on the battlefield and a nurse friend told me that it was developed to close open heart surgery wounds. It looks almost completely healed now at 6 days and I think if I have a scar it will be a very thin line.
@SusieShoes - thank you. I tried to stay very active and just couldn't do the land exercises or ride my bike - but just doing the pool exercises at least kept me flexible and I retained some strength. Now the real work ofrebuilding will begin - but slowly - I hope that's a promise I keep!
 
@Polkadot - I also meant to say that I sometimes wonder if I am less satisfied with my recovery because maybe just maybe I didn't absolutely need surgery. I thought surgery would take care of all the problems I mentioned above, but what if the pain I had was nerve pain, or muscle pain, rather than arthritis? it wouldn't resolve with surgery, right? I too have pain in one hip. Before surgery I asked about that and the OS told me that my hips were fine and he thought my knee might be contributing to the hip pain so surgery might help both. Both still hurt.:shrug: All I can do is :heehee:.
I know there will be lots of walking at Disneyland, but I'm not missing this with my 3 yr. old grandson. If you come out to California, maybe I'll meet you in Golden Gate Park and we can walk together!
 
I may take you up on that walk, Phrog! If I visit Lacey, she will be working during the day, so I will be footloose and fancy free!
 
Here I am at nearly 13 months post op with not much different to report. I continue to have great flex and extension and limited endurance for exercise. I am doing my water aerobics and arthritis stretching class in the pool two days a week and taking the occasional stroll on my treadmill. I did that walk a few days ago with poor results. I walked a mile (which my pedometer tells me I routinely do when shopping, cleaning etc.) on the treadmill at a slow pace (25 minutes) followed my usual 5 minutes on my stationary bike and though there wasn't any real discomfort at the time, ended up the next day (and continuing) with a leg that feels swollen and leaden from about 5 inches above the knee to just under it, along with discomfort in ankle and the side of my knee. The thing that has been weird for me all along is that my knee feels swollen, but isn't. I've measured it and it is within a half inch of my non surgical knee and bend remains excellent. I still get an ache across the top my left ankle, sharp pain in my left hip and both knees hurt when I get out of a chair. SO - not really an improvement from pre LTKR. I understand the exercise intolerance is likely the result of hyperthyroid and the levels are close to normal now while I am taking medication that slows the thyroid. I feel so much better in terms of heart rate, shakiness and constant hunger. The legs are not cooperating yet and the doc still says to expect it to be several months on that front. I leave on the red-eye to NY Wednesday to visit my daughter's family and hope the leaden feeling I have post-treadmill will disappear by the time I hit the airport in Sacramento. I'm icing, elevating in the evenings and hoping for the best.
 
May you have a wonderful trip!
Your invisible swelling sounds a lot like mine and the discomfort rising from a chair...same. All we can do is trudge onward and hope, pray, cross our fingers and toes, that one day, we will look back and laugh about this...all the while feeling happy we did it. Great report on the ROM.
 
You mentioned walking on the treadmill and then discomfort, I find walking on the treadmill very uncomfortable. It is much easier, less painful and more relaxing for me to walk outside. I also am on my bike longer (8-10 miles 50-55 min) than I walk (2 miles 30-40 min). Even if it’s snowing outside, I’d rather walk in the snow than on the treadmill. I may get rid of mine, I HATE it so much!
 
I've been reading about the challenges you face, and your doctor's advice that it may be several months until your leg responds fully to the changes you've made to address hyperthyroidism. That makes sense and yet it has to be frustrating. It's difficult to tell what progress you're making and what is being impeded by your condition. It sounds like your knee is doing as well as it can with ROM. I hope the swelling abates with time, along with your lingering aches and twinges.

I tend to agree with Karrie about walking outdoors, or even in malls, versus on a treadmill. Other types of walking involve more of the knee and leg muscles. Changes in elevation and direction, for example, while walking. Just today while walking I moved aside to pass a teen on his way to school, stepped off curbs and then back up, varied my stride to adjust for cracks and sidewalk holes, went around corners, came to sharp stops, walked uphill, walked downhill, and quickstepped around an icy puddle. There's more variety in movement and that variety exercises different muscles and contributes to more balance. Just a thought. I could be all wet about that.

I'm crossing my fingers you have a good flight tomorrow. Another nor'easter is hitting us here on the east coast! We are thoroughly sick of ice and snow.
 
@SusieShoes Very good description of a good walk “work out.” I never thought of it that way.

@phrog I hope your leg/knee settles down for you do you can travel comfortably and enjoy your visit.
:console2:
 
while walking I moved aside to pass a teen on his way to school, stepped off curbs and then back up, varied my stride to adjust for cracks and sidewalk holes, went around corners, came to sharp stops, walked uphill, walked downhill, and quickstepped around an icy puddle. There's more variety in movement and that variety exercises different muscles and contributes to more balance.
What a good description of the way a "normal" person walks! I so look forward to being able to do that.
 
First off, sadly, my flight was cancelled because of the storms in the northeast. All later flights were booked for three day so I am not going until Sunday. Luckily I was able to extend three days on the other end without penalty so I will only have one day less with my daughter and grandson. I cried as I watched the flights disappearing on my computer while I was on hold with the reservation clerk, but it all worked out.

Also: for those who were following my bathtub saga, I did it today! :bath: My leg (5 days post-treadmill incident) was driving me crazy this morning and I decided today was the day for the Epsom Salt bath. I bought a new garden kneeler which I used to get in and out. It was still awkward because my legs are long and the tub is narrow, but I safely put one knee on the pad in the tub and was able to get in with only slight discomfort in my "good" knee. And it was worth it. It was so relaxing and my knee felt great in the water. My dad swore by Epsom salts and it sure felt good to me, too. Of course, Hubby was standing by in the next room in case I needed help. Safety first!

@KarriB, I imagine you are right about the treadmill. My husband wonders if it is the "bounce" of the treadmill and that it is a steady pace (though I do change the speed throughout) that are the problems. I loved my treadmill before my knees started acting up. It faces the garden and I put music on to block out the world and could feel my legs getting stronger (they used to be my strongest part!). And, I like watching the numbers. Gratifying! I haven't been using it much since surgery but have been running errands that add up to about 3-4000 steps a day - and have been doing the water exercise classes 2-3 days a week. I'd had to miss my classes due to family obligations and it was pouring and I was waiting for a repairman - so not a normal situation and I thought since my pedometer indicates I walk much farther regularly - a mile would be OK. Just wrong and I won't be doing it again soon. The bike bothers my "good" knee across the top and the IT band. That knee also needs repair. Since my thyroid remains in flux, I will not be having it done anytime soon. I may need to have my thyroid "killed" with radioactive iodine depending on whether it continues to bounce around from hyper to hypo and back.

@SusieShoes , of course you are right, too. Walking outdoors is wonderful when it is a pretty area at least. I don't like the mall. Everyone is walking slower than I am and I feel closed in. The movement outside is varied and I'm more likely to stop to rest (if there is a place to do so). My town is flat - the whole thing - so no changes in elevation except stepping off the curb or climbing some stairs. Also, its too hot to walk in the summer and foggy in the winter with not much to see. It's been the convenience of having the treadmill and bike at home and the time factor that always kept me active before surgery. For now I don't like to get too far from home on foot as I can't easily judge how much my legs will cooperate on any given day.

It does seem strange that it is now five days since my treadmill incident and I am still having trouble. The knee feels, but is not swollen and "gives" sometimes when I am walking. I had given up the cane two or three weeks ago and had to use it when I went out to Lowe's this week. As Susie said, I am frustrated. In September I was taking a 3 mile hike on the coast and now I can't imagine doing that. I have to accept that it will be several more weeks most likely before the strength is back. I am planning on taking my 3 year old grandson to Disneyland in June, regardless. I will get a wheelchair if I need to because I am not going to miss any more of his growing up than I have to.

Thanks everyone for your kindness and suggestions. Sorry this is so long. I obviously have too much time on my hands. Will likely spend the afternoon with a book and leg elevated. I have four days to get this knee in good enough shape for a six hour flight and a trudge through two airports.
 
I have four days to get this knee in good enough shape for a six hour flight and a trudge through two airports.

@phrog Three weeks ago I flew into town, and I can recommend highly arranging to have a wheel chair take you from the curb side check in to your gate. I did ok with the leaving end of my trip, as the Orange County airport is not that big. But I was so very grateful for the wheel chair at the Denver end of my trip, because that airport is huge. If you reserve the wheel chair, they will meet you right at the door of the airplane and whisk you away to baggage claim. There is no charge for the service, but I did generously tip the young lady who was "driving" my chair. I hope you take advantage of this because you will be able to board the plane first, and you will be preserving your knee energy so that you can enjoy your stay with your family. My flight was only 2 hours, but I did get up and stretch twice during the flight, and also did leg stretches in my seat. And I think four days can make a big difference. What are you reading? I just got back from a little stroll around the neighborhood and I'm in my rocker with John Hart's The Hush. Started slow, but got better at about page 50.
 
Thanks, @mlwreader . I will definitely consider the wheelchair for JFK if my leg hasn't returned to normal by the time I check in the night before my flight. Sacramento is easy, but JFK less so as it's a long haul from the plane to baggage. I'm reading a couple of things: I have Home Fires on my Kindle, which is a terrible book, but I wanted to know what happened to the characters when the BBC series wasn't renewed; I'm also reading Fastpitch by Erica Westly, (on paper) which is a history of women's softball. I'm enjoying that very much. Next up: Kristen Hannah's The Great Alone. I'm saving that for the plane. If I run out of things to read, I'll put something on my Kindle when I get to my daughter's house. Let me know if you like The Hush as you get further into it. Enjoy!
 
I went to my water arthritis class today, with no bad effects. My discomfort and dysfunction are about the same as before class, but at least I didn't make it worse. I did not go to the water aerobics class but did stop and talk to that trainer/instructor on my way to the pool. She suggested I do no aerobics for now and work only on increasing strength in the muscles. She is starting a small group (only two students at present) personal training time which she thinks will be good for me once a week. I may try that depending on my condition when I return from NY in two weeks. I did one on one training with her twice a month before and liked it. This will be less expensive. About my trip to NY: I'm wondering what the result will be of a couple weeks of dealing with the 15 stairs to the basement mother-in-law quarters. Before surgery, I always tried to minimize the number of times I had to go up and down those stairs, but had mixed results. I always seem to forget something I need during the day. Maybe my strategy should be to send my daughter down those stairs three or four times a day? Seems fair! :heehee:

Forgot to mention here that the day after I get back, I finally have my one year appointment with my OS - a month past the one year mark.
 
Enjoy your trip!

And I think asking your daughter to get something for you is a good idea.

I have the same situation when we stay at my daughter’s house.
 
Be careful with strength training. I did some and although there was no pain at the time, it didn’t ease my pain when walking like actual walking did.

I’m probably selling my treadmill. I HATE it! I’d rather walk at a mall or even Walmart than on the Treadmill. It’s in the same room as my bike which I ride for 55 minutes and can read or watch tv while riding. But the treadmill is just torture. When it’s icy out or late and I haven’t had time to walk, I’ll get on the treadmill and I’m off in 5 min. It just doesn’t feel like natural walking. I change the speed, but it doesn’t fit my gait or speed.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom