TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Well having said all this I AM still sleeping in a recliner in my living room, not in bed. This was pretty much my plan for first two weeks since going in I didn't feel confident I would be able to get upstairs and we bought this god awful ugly chair just for this purpose so I wanted to get my $ worth out of it! I do think it's easier to keep ice and pillows in place than if I were in bed. Didn't think I'd be able to sleep on my back but it's been fine. Chair still ugly tho!
 
Day Ten: Wow, really? I've lost all track of time among other things like my best reading glasses and favorite sandals. Yes, I am still a space-shot, but hey, it could be worse, right? The days are just sort of melding together like a gooey, hot fudge sundae without the calories.

This morning, my surgeon's office got back to me and told me to use the @JennyLynne solution for my staples, so thanks JennyLynne! Luckily, I happen to have some big gauze bandages and tape on hand and that will at least alleviate this snagging staple aggravation. Naturally, the surgeon's office called just as I was falling into a deep snooze; pffft!

For once, today is not raining and rather pleasant outdoors, so I somehow managed to get out on the back deck with the walker (there's a step-down) and enjoyed manufacturing a bit of Vit D.:egypdance: Maybe it will help my legs color match as well, lol. The one cheeto-colored leg next to the pasty pale *good* leg is indeed an odd sight.

Despite the mismatched legs, swelling and extensive bruising, and the weird scar that has a snake-like appearance at present, I did some online shopping the other day and bought a great pair of Bermuda shorts. I'm going to wear my scar like a badge of honor. It will not be hidden!:yes!: For the women here, I highly recommend a pair of "NYDJ," blue jean Bermudas with a small rolled cuff; super comfy and flattering. Yes, they are pricey but I felt I deserved a present and they'll last for many summers. They can be found at Zappos or Amazon, as can almost anything else. I'm buying myself a present a week until I am *normal* again, so that could get very pricey, lol.

Today, I don't have too much pain (knocking on wood as I type) but the stiffness is there in a big way. I forced myself to do 5 heel-slides and I just may be the *unbendiest* person on the planet. Regardless, I walk fairly well; go figure! In fact, I unintentionally took a few walker-free steps yesterday and today and though it felt strange, it was not painful. It definitely does feel a bit unstable though, so it won't be my regular mode for awhile. When I did the first one in my kitchen, I froze in the middle of the floor with that "deer in the headlights" look on my face. Oh noooo, what to do? Mistah was on a conference call so I could not give a shout out. Then I thought, hey chickie, you used to ski and quite well! Just find your center of gravity and proceed slowly with confidence. It worked!

I have a serious question for those in the know about such things, as follows: I can't seem to elevate 3 pillow style or with my magic pillow for any great length of time without aggravating my hamstrings, back and Bakers Cyst. My solution has been to go down a pillow, but I'm wondering if this is why I still have so much swelling? I've certainly given it the old college try, but my back and leg say otherwise. What to do?
 
I bought every size and style pillow for my bed. I am usually a side sleeper and also get pain when sleeping on my back. Since I'm dealing with my infection I was having a lot of problems getting in and out of bed I rented a hospital bed for a few weeks. This is what I learned.

I bought a wedge pillow to put under my head the seems to help with any lower back pain. I now use a couple of pillows stacked in a wedge for my knee. I start with ice but sometime overnight it winds up on the ground! I just try my best to elevate it.

You can use fewer pillows but what you want to do is to make sure your toes are above your knees and knees above your help. Make sure you are not keeping your leg absolutely straight. It should have a slight bend in it. It can cause a lot of pain to keep it straight.

[Bonesmart.org] Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22


So just try to find what works best for you!
 
@keefsmom, LOL! I went the "awful ugly chair," route when I had my hip done 5 years ago. As soon as I was better, I sold it! It sent me into some sort of aesthetic shock every time I saw it in my living room, hahaha! Mistah has a much better looking recliner in my living room, but I haven't tried it as yet for night sleeping. Perhaps I should? I can definitely see how it would keep me on my back (ick) and the pillows in place better. It's not a power chair, so I think I've just been skeered I'll get stuck in it, hahaha!
 
Why thank you, @newlybionic! I will order a bed wedge pillow today! That would never have occurred to me, particularly now in my fried, bean-brain state.:dancy:
 
In a few weeks you should be able to try a bit of side sleeping. It was week 3-4 when I tried and had success for an hour or so.
 
I only managed 2 hours sleep per night and that wasn't even in one go for first four weeks or so. It was brutal and I got to the stage that I hated going to bed and the bedroom! I allowed myself to nap during the day if I felt myself nodding off but it was still hard going, in fact I think those first four non- sleeping weeks was the hardest thing in the recovery process !
 
Look what just arrived! This is from lounge doctor I think it's the same pillow as in newlybionics photo above. I'll give y'all a review later, but will let you know that if you're interested in one order directly from their website, free shipping and lowest price!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22
    IMG_0357.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 175
@keefsmom, it is... it was... yes, it is the Lounge Doctor. I could take a picture of mine to match. This is the wedge I've been using for two weeks here at home. I sleep with my legs up on it at night and can vouch for it's comfiness. It's not responsible for what Mr. Shoes calls my "dreadful snoring." That's solely on sleeping on my back. The wedge is lightweight and easy to transport. I've dragged it to the couch for a change of place.
 
Those first walker free steps feel so incredibly daring, don't they? I remember being halfway to the bathroom before realizing I'd left my walker behind. Nothing to do but center the body and go for it. It definitely feels strange. I'm making more occasions to walk without assistive devices these days. Some steps around the kitchens (counters to grab onto if needed) and definitely in the bedroom. I think we need to develop a new sense of our knees and balance. It'll take some time.
 
@keefsmom, that's what I call my *magic* pillow, lol, but you and SuzieShoes actually have the name right! I find it fab for about 30 minutes and then....too high for my back and hamstrings. Regardless, I still think it's a keeper and I may get more use out of it as time passes; enjoy!

Talk about being a bean-brain.....I *ahem* forgot that today is our wedding anniversary; aaaacck! Yep, I'm not myself.:kickedout:
 
I bought two of those 'wavy' wedge pillows. A kept one on my recliner and one on my bed. That way when I shifted sleeping areas, as I did every few hours, I already had one set up.

I did the same with the ice machines. I would set them both up at bedtime and if you don't circulate then water, the ice lasts a really long time. That way I had ice ready where ever I ended up, too.

Doing every thing possible to help those terrible sleeping nights seemed to make it easier. Too bad, I would still wake up to pee sometimes shortly after going to sleep. It was always something waking me up! And it still does!
 
@SusieShoes, what bold, walking pioneers we are! Or in my case, just forgetful. Has Mr. Shoes seen you in appliance-free action? Mine would have a :hissy:
 
@sistersinhim, aha, I see you had different nocturnal *camps* as well! GMTA!

Oh yes, the P factor has been much more in play at night than is typical for me. I keep hoping it's alleviating some of this swelling, but...doesn't look that way! In my former life, (10 days ago) I slept 7 hours straight every, single night.
 
Yes, I did have different 'camps' and slept in each one of them for many weeks! I still have that "P" factor! So aggravating!
 
It's great to know I am not alone, lol. Barring a UTI, I wonder what the extra P Factor is all about? Seems like many here experience that, eh?
 
@keefsmom, I am definitely going for the non-ugly recliner tonight. I will try the ice and elevate while stuffed in there and if I need to get up and find myself stuck, I'll just have to make a racket that will set the dogs off and wake Mistah.:snork:
 
Thinking of you Pheebs52, I went through a period in my life that I suffered deep depression and horrid anxiety. I began a Thankful Journal. It simple lists 5 things I am thankful for each day. Sometimes my list even goes higher than 5. It may lift your spirits before bed and not think so much about the sleeplessness. I am one of those who wakes and night and become a mathematician figuring how much more sleep i'll get if I go back to sleep now, then again in 5 minutes refigure!!! I drive myself nutty!:roseshwr:
 
I too use a gratitude journal... 5 things even if they seem repetitive or mundane

Watch out when sitting on the porch. My OS papers definitely said no sun for a year. I can only think because of fresh skin - but mainly to allow the scar to fade over time. I never asked about it. I've kept it covered and just recently started using sunscreen (but don't use that on your fresh incision)
 
Mr. Shoes frowns when I get too daring. However, I think he finds the sight of me walking on my replaced knees rather fascinating. Like watching an alien, maybe,
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom