TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

JennyLynne, I'm with you on celebrating every small improvement. I'm not exactly nauseous, but just not right in the stomach department with no interest in food. Walking better would make anyone smile, eh?
 
The pain meds took my appetite away, too. Once they got out of my system, I started eating, and eating, and eating...! Your appetite will come back. Just don't do like I did and try to eat every thing is sight!
 
@ sistersinhim, I'm hoping to stay in the losing poundage mode! I know my appetite will return, but perhaps my taste for sweets will not. So far, not a single one since surgery because the thought of anything sweet makes my stomach flip-flop.
 
My appetite is completely off, too. Stopping iron pills at least gave me back an appetite, but I can't eat much at all before feeling I've had enough. Honestly, the whole tummy thing has been worse overall than the knees! My knee pain is negligible. I consider the 15 pounds I've lost to be a bonus. I'm not trying to lose pounds, but I have them to lose and will not miss them. The key will definitely be to not put them all back on!
 
Day Eight: Last night was just a repeat of my new *normal*; up 3x and camping in different locations around the house, nomad style. Each night, I start out in the master bedroom camp, then gravitate to the living room sofa camp at around 1:00 A.M., and then usually end up in the spare bedroom tent around 3:30 A.M. Very often, I'm just reading at my last stop, but that's ok since my Kindle is overflowing. I've also perfected reading with eyes closed and highly recommend to all.

Yesterday, the PT took a slightly different approach with me and I must say things felt looser as a result; yay! She showed me a great hamstring stretch (much needed) and some new leg-dangling tricks.

Today, the VNA nurse will arrive and hopefully change this oogie looking bandage. If so, I'll also get to see whether or not I was stapled or steri-stripped. For some odd reason (drugs, la-la land?) I just can't recall what the surgeon said about that.

I called the surgeon's office this morning to refill my Oxy Rx and was pleasantly surprised that it all went smoothly. My husband can drive there and pick them up. In this country, one hears so many horror stories of people who urgently need these meds being denied or put through an Inquisition, so this was a huge relief; phew! I'm sure it's also something I'd discussed with him prior to surgery, but....my memory is "Gone With the Wind." Oddly enough, I find I'm kind of enjoying my blank-slate, bean-brain for some reason, LOL.
 
Susie, 15 pounds already? Wowza! That would make my cardiologist very happy, and me as well. :wow:
 
Keep up the great healing @Pheebs52! It's so great to read the real life journeys, will start mine 2 weeks from today!!!!
 
@sooz58, doing my best. I don't think my healing has been *great* so far, but I do think it's probably very typical, middle-of-the-roadish, and that's just fine. I may even be slightly off-road since I had a great deal of swelling, but a lot of that has subsided now. Well, half of it has and that's a huge improvement. :egypdance:

The next two weeks will be hard for you, so keep very busy getting things in order for your recovery, eh?
 
@Pheebs52, I just love your sense of humor. It's a joy to read your posts! When you can laugh at yourself and your situation, half your battle is won! Keep up the good work and wonderful attitude!

It sounds like you are doing well. You have a really good OS. It seems to be harder and harder for patients here to get the pain meds we so desperately need. You are blessed to have a surgeon that isn't afraid to prescribe them for you!
 
@sistersinhim, my sense of humor has been rather subdued as of late, but I notice it's coming back! I agree, we have to be able to laugh to get through so much in life. I've always been a fan of The Far Side and sometimes feel like I reside there. All in all, it's not a bad neighborhood, hah!

The entire healthcare system in this country is so out of whack, and the prescription drug issue for those in need is so variable from location to location, even within the same state. So yes, I do feel very fortunate to have a surgeon who understands the importance of good pain control. We did discuss that at length before I settled on him and I'm so glad we had that conversation.
 
I look forward to your posts and unique perspective. Life throws lemons and you can make lemonade, right? Or at least smash a few lemons. Much as my weight loss benefits my new knees, it alarms my doctors. A little too much too quickly for their liking. Frankly, I would love to have a normal appetite again.

Your OS is a keeper. Mine would have given me one refill but his PA said that would be the cutoff. Fortunately I never needed the refill. But someone in post-op pain could be left in a bad spot.
 
Well Susie, backatcha, as we say here in Beantown! Some days are best for lemonade, others for smashing lemons, eh? Variety and all that.:egypdance: Hey, this little guy even looks like a flying lemon, lol.

Well, that is a rather remarkable amount of weight to lose in a short time, especially since you weren't trying. I was a Weight Watcher member in my 50's and recall their guideline for safe weight loss as being .5-2 pounds a week, but....it took a lot of effort! I weighed myself tonight and the scale was down 2 pounds; I'll take it!

I would also like to have some semblance of a normal appetite, but everything just tastes odd right now. Some things that normally smell great to me even smell odd now, so I'd like to get over that soon. I'm sure it's the meds.

Yes, my OS is a keeper but pretty much a rarity when it comes to pain meds these days around here. He's very "Old School," just a year younger than me, so perhaps that has something to do with it. Oh, and he's also had a knee replaced; minor detail.:happydance:
 
No wonder your doctor prescribes pain meds without fussing. He's knows what a knee replacement feels like! Too bad all OSs and PTs haven't! It would make them much better able to understand what we are going through.
 
Day Nine: The night was the same as yesterday, marching from camp to camp, in search of the ever elusive best sleeping position. As such, why did I finally settle on sitting straight up on the sofa with my laptop on my lap and all the lights on? It's a mystery. But, it worked for 3 solid hours.

Yesterday afternoon the Visiting Nurse arrived to remove my bandage and pronounce my incision delightful! She felt it looked lovely. I had slightly different ideas, but now I know I have staples. Those will be in there for another week. She did not replace the dressing (doc's orders) which I am finding a bit uncomfortable because my baggy pants and pj's are snagging on the staples, but I guess I'll adjust.

Today, I was officially allowed to take my first REAL SHOWER! Bliss, utter bliss. I kept hearing Van Morrison's tune where he repeats "Oh, the water, ooh, ooh the water, let it rain down on me." I probably remained in there for a solid half hour, lol. I found I could stand and really didn't need the shower chair in there at all, in fact it was a bit of hindrance. Next time, it's going to be outside the shower so I can sit comfortably while drip-drying for a bit.

Apparently, my 30 minute shower bliss led to two things, not entirely unexpected, but surprising in intensity; 1) Rag-doll leg after the fact ( fine in the shower) from all that standing and 2) perhaps the deepest bodily exhaustion I've ever experienced. I was so wiped out, the mere thought of toweling dry seemed stupendous. I managed, but needed a deep nap immediately afterwards. Upon awakening, I wanted to drop by here and post, but it took hours before I felt my typing fingers could do the job; sheesh! If I didn't have access to all the accumulated BoneSmart wisdom, I may have thought, "This is it. Curtains." Needless to say, I am now and shall remain welded to my sofa.
 
P.S. : My fabulous OS wrote me a Rx for 60 more Oxy! Yes!!!
 
Oh, the energy drain! It's hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it, something like falling off a cliff. One moment, energy; next moment, you just want to collapse. But that shower was worth it, right?
 
A good shower is well worth an afternoon/evening of exhaustion!

I was permitted to keep a nonstick pad over my staples, loosely secured with either dressing or paper tape. Just for comfort. Let's air in still. Maybe you doctor would be ok with that?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, the shower was worth every bit of exhaustion!:snork: Still dragging, but I'm just so sparkling clean. Well, except for my orange cheeto colored leg, lol. What does it take to get that stuff off, brillo?

JennyLynne, I put a call into my doc's office about the bandage business. He's not in today but they'll get back to me tomorrow. Hopefully, they will come up with your solution or similar.
 
When do the stitches come out?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom