Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Thank you for sharing that bad part of your experience. You can help others to not have to go through that. This is a great site for sharing the bad and the good. We are here for each other!
 
@SusieShoes, that's how is was supposed to be for me as well, but....it seems *stuff* happened; pfft! Judging by the look on the surgeon's face when he saw me in that state, I'd say the staff were chewed up royally.

Yes, DH is definitely a *keeper*, in many ways! We are coming up on Anniversary #43 June 1st! I guess we won't be going out dancing but that's ok.:yahoo:I'm smiling as I'm contemplating what his reward should be; a nursing hat? He really does deserve one.

This afternoon, the VNA nurse arrived and an hour later their PT person. I liked them both, so that was a real plus! The PT was very gentle and understood when I told her "We'll get along great if you don't place hands on my knee," hah! She was all about the Bonesmart Mantras, as was the nurse, so in that sense I couldn't have asked for more. PT was concerned about the amount of swelling I have and lack of ROM, but from all of my reading here, I knew that was coming! I did have to remind her twice that my surgery was just 48 hours ago; sheesh!

After both those visits, it was feet up, ice and nap!
 
SusiaeShoes, it sounds as though you had the recovery room experience I was supposed to have. I'm certainly glad you got it though, just wish I had as well. But as you stated, I got to go right home and you did not and I was sure happy about that part! Judging by the look on the surgeon's face when he saw me in that state, I'd say a major chewing out occurred.

I think our husbands have a lot in common besides two, wonderful women.:yahoo: Shall I get mine a Nurse's cap for his reward? I think he'd enjoy that; hahaha!

Today, the VNA nurse came followed shortly afterward by their PT person. Thankfully, I liked both of them and the PT in particular was gentle and respected my wishes to not have her hand placed on my knee. The almost predictable bad part was both felt I had too much swelling and the resultant swelling, which shows how much I know from an earlier post today when I thought my swelling had decreased a bit. I was wrecked after they left and spent the rest of the afternoon just resting, elevating, icing, napping and taking my pain meds by the clock. So far today, I am experiencing a bit less pain than yesterday despite the swelling, which is, of course, quite uncomfortable.

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your stories and responding to mine. I don't know how anyone goes through something like this without this type of support that's available 24/7 here. Smarties rock!
 
Sistersinhim, that is my hope that those on the pre-surgical side read a few posts over here. I know I did and it helped me tremendously. I am a strong believer in paying help backwards and forwards!
 
My apologies for all those almost duplicate threads; good grief! I know I'm a bit spaced out, but honestly I didn't see them posted here. You can all chase me down the street if you like, lol.
 
Good afternoon Smarties! So far today has been pretty good. I woke only once last night, got up and walked a bit, took some Oxy, made a cup of tea and read for about an hour. By that point I was back in bed and fast asleep.

This morning, I noticed two, dime sized blood spots on my bandage, but am assuming that's from yesterday's PT and the blood thinner? It doesn't look alarming, I'm just curious as to whether or not this is common?

I can't wait to get rid of these thigh high TEDS; aarrggh! Next Tuesday, they come off.:tada: They are really denting my slightly flabby thighs.

Today will be all about ice, elevation and resting since PT will return tomorrow. Hopefully, my swelling will be somewhat decreased as compared to yesterday.....crossing all digits!

I must say the combination of Oxy and Tylenol is working like a charm to keep pain at bay. I was quite concerned about that prior to surgery, but it really is doing a splendid job.

Sending out good wishes to all who are recovering and those about to get their new knees!
 
Whoops, knew I forgot something! Appetite: almost zero This is to be expected, right? Bowels: Not working yet despite the daily Senekot. Nothing tastes good, even chocolate, my favorite treat! No doubt this is related to not eating much, lack of exercise and of course the Oxy. Any suggestions besides Senekot? Please no prunes or prune juice; ugh!
 
You're doing great, sounds like! Maybe you could call the OS or the VN about the blood spots. Did you have staples? Or glue? I never saw blood spots with my glued incisions. It may mean nothing, but a call might be in order in case it does.

Appetite seems to take a hit with everyone. Mine is shot, too. Has been since surgery. Every rare once in a while something will pique my interest, but only for a few bites. Then I don't want more than that. Small portions, and eating more often, may be the way to go for a while.

You have a lot of company in wanting to get the bowels to move. That's not my problem, probably because in addition to Senokot, I'm taking Colace (a stool softener). In the hospital and rehab, they had me drink a glass of water with Miralax in it (it can go in any liquid, like tea) and that helped gently move things along also. I stocked up on it here at home, though haven't had to use it yet. It's tasteless and inoffensive. Also, WALKING is the best colon stimulant around. Colon loves to be walked. So when you walk, you're doing a two-for!
 
Bowels: Not working yet despite the daily Senokot. Nothing tastes good, even chocolate, my favorite treat! No doubt this is related to not eating much, lack of exercise and of course the Oxy. Any suggestions besides Senekot?
It is most likely the Oxy that is causing your constipation. It's a known side effect of the narcotics.
We do have this article: Constipation and stool softeners

I know that prunes are mentioned in it, but there are several other recipes as well. If you can't take prunes, or hate them, kiwifruit are very good for curing constipation.
Make sure that you drink plenty of water as well.

I tried everything recommended, including Senokot, to no avail. I had to send my husband on an emergency trip to the urgent pharmacy for a do-it-myself mini enema. That sure did the trick.
 
Senokot and Colace didn't work for me, I needed a glass of water mixed with Miralax to get things moving. I tried salads, apples but to no avail.
 
Thanks to all for this ...er...pressing information!

@KarriB, I wondered if Miralax would be a better choice. My chauffeur/nurse/husband will be off tomorrow to get some!

@Celle, I hope I don't have to take the measure you needed, but...if I do, I can do it! Thanks for the link to the article that I had somehow missed. I have some nuts in the house so will try to down some of those as well. I neber knew about that particular benefit of Kiwi fruit, so thanks for that tip to a prune hater.

@SusieShoes, did your colon need a leash while being walked? Hehehe! Maybe I'm not walking enough? Just trips around the house about once per hour, but, it' not a large house.

The VNA nurse will be back tomorrow so she can assess the blood spots for me. I think I have staples, but to be honest, I'm not sure. My bandage is a thick, opaque gray and of course, all is covered by the lovely Teds.
 
Miralax and Colace worked for me. Have you tried a depository?

It took about a month for my appetite to come back. I loved the weight loss, but it came back big time, unfortunately!
 
Sistersinhim, I hope you mean a suppository? Hahaha, that sounds like something I'd write.:yahoo:
 
Oh, I have no doubt the weight will return; pffft!
 
Oh my! And all I took today for my foot/ankle was Tramadol. I have no excuse! Yes, I did mean suppository!
 
I believe this was one instance heavy legs worked in my favor because I had no TED hose at all. Just the compression pumps.
 
Day Four: Happy as a "Pig in....Stuff!" The intestines have been appeased and are now functional! Wow, what a relief on so many levels.

PT came and went and pronounced me less swollen and more flexible; yay! I even did the stairs today with little difficulty; huzzah!

Now, for the rest of the day, it's ice, elevate, drugs and book! Color me lazy and exhausted.:yahoo:
 
You're so lucky to be able to concentrate to read. I had my kindle full, but it took months before I could read. I highly recommend The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah. Enjoy the afternoon in a book!
 
@KarriB, I just bought it. The description sounds really good.
Pheebs52, that first 'break through' is such a relief! And your swelling coming down this early is wonderful! Keep doing what you're doing. It must be right!
 
@KarriB, well....I cannot tell a lie. I sometimes read the same paragraph 2-3 times. Then there's snooze-reading; just a few sentences on my way into Nod when I actually believe I am reading, but...I'm not.:smile2: For some reason, I can't watch any television. I seem to be noise sensitive at the moment and had that same experience after my THR. But, in the end, none of it matters, eh?

I actually read The Nightingale when it first came out and was very pleasantly surprised by just how good an author Ms. Hannah had become. I was actually reluctant at first to purchase it, but downloaded a sample and was impressed; WW11 buff here.

@sistersinhim, relief was definitely the word of the day around here! My swelling has come down, but is far from gone. Regardless, just the bit that has gone has made a BIG difference in my flexibility. Hopefully, I won't have *football-knee* tomorrow after doing the stairs today.:fingersx:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom