TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

I think I have been focusing too much on my aches, stiffness weirdo of knee sensations etc. I'm going to start thinking of them as little tickles and signs of healing. Might make my mind feel better. :)

I am also with you - I have a strong, new, bionic knee (left) and a crumbling right knee. Which reminds me, I need to make an appointment with the OS. My increase in activity is really causing the righty to act up - I'm wondering if a cortisone shot would act differently on a knee that isn't badly inflamed (as it is now). They haven't worked for me in the past, but the knee has been angry then. It's only mad now.
 
Jaschembra, I'd love to become less *knee-centric* but it's a bit challenging just yet. Regardless, I think I pretty much do accept most of these pings, zings, twinges and other oddities of sensation as par for the course. Perhaps they need an actual embrace? LOL!

Good luck with trying a cortisone injection! Who knows, it just may work? I'm not sure the emotional state of your knee would sway the results one way or another, but who am I to say? It might....maybe. I've only ever had success once with my knee, and it was total bliss for a whole 10 days. After that, back to square one. However, I know a few people who swear they've gotten up to 2 years relief from them and I actually know these people as opposed to those anectodal, miracle recovery folks we hear about so often. So, pardon the pun...it's worth a shot.:heehee:
 
I'd get a year or more in the 80s, then as time went on, the relief would be shorter and shorter. My last one lasted about 3 days. That was it! I knew what I had to do. I haven't tried one in the left one in a while and probably will my next OS visit the 24th of this month.
 
My last two cortisone shots did not help the knee, but helped me to decide that it was time . . . I had been postponing for several years as the cortisone would work for about 6 mos at a time prior to the last two injections - I was accusing the doc of giving me the placebo. My right knee, which doc says is worse according to the x-rays has been cooperating mostly - aside from a bit of soreness with having to bear the brunt over the past two months. :fingersx:
 
Good to hear ( pun intended) that the music at that frequency was pleasing/calming.
There's so much we haven't investigated scientifically. Especially cures from nature and non western cultures.
 
Last night, I found one of those healing sound channels and played it all night, very low. Hubby said it was the first night I wasn't moaning and groaning every time I moved. I slept deeply and for 7 solid hours, so....who knows? Maybe it's a placebo, but maybe not.

My entire leg was rather uncomfortable at bedtime, so I expected a rough night for zzz's. My PT session went very well and as usual, I didn't experience any pain while there, but...it typically does seem to equal some sort of discomfort hours later. This morning? Everything feels pretty darn good, mindset included.:SUNsmile: I'll take it!
 
Yeah for you!! Amazing what several hours of good sleep will do for the body and mind. I have been getting 5-6 hours in a row the past three helps which has been great. I may try the healing sounds as well. Hope you have a nice weekend.
 
Kmak, try some until you find one that you really like; there are many and they are all different. I agree, there's nothing like a good night's sleep! Have a great weekend as well.:SUNsmile:
 
clearly I am still half asleep - "night" not "helps" - I went to a site a couple days ago but thought that the first couple I heard were a bit annoying, so will continue to explore.
 
Pheebs, 7 hours, wow! Now, that's a good night! I'm blessed in I can sleep 5 hours in a row. I'm going to check out that site, too. I good night's sleep is so important, both mentally and physically.
 
Based on a recommendation from @VW54 I did a YouTube search for 174HZ -- there are all sorts of video of sounds for pain/sleeping.
 
Yes, Lilli, YouTube hs many of them. It's just what Kmak has listed. There are many and some do sound rather annoying. Others are much more pleasing to the ear. I tend t be cynical in general, so am not as yet convinced this is what gave a good night's sleep. I'll need more evidence for several nights in a row. I'm also not convinced of any particular healing benefits as yet, but since most healing supposedly occurs while we are sleeping, I'd say there's a a possibility of a strong correlation. Pain relief? Again, I don't know, only what hubby said about me having my first quiet night. I know that provided him with pain relief, hahaha!
 
We had a busy day with lots of errands, some that were a bit far-flung and included food shopping. At hubby's suggestion, I drove, mostly to see what my limits were. Well, I found out, thanks to a brutal hamstring spasm at about 3/4 of the way home. I'd been driving for roughly 40 minutes when this occurred. I actually puled into a parking lot to walk around and stretch, just to get rid of it; thankfully, it helped.

At the supermarket, I started walking from the parking lot toward the store without my cane and thought better of it very fast; way too uneven and a bit hilly. I did make it through the shopping and even the checkout (progress!) but my entire leg felt like limp, achy spaghetti by the time we headed back for the car. We were only 5 minutes from home so that was a real plus.

At some point today, the biggest scab left on my incision, right where the knee bends, popped off and things are unfortunately a little bit open. I put a band aid over it for protection and hope it closes very quickly. :fingersx:

Since we came home, I've been doing the usual of rest, ice and elevation, along with a solid 2 hour nap. I was seriously tired, but it was my longest excursion out there in the *real world* so far. I'm definitely not ready for Prime Time with food shopping or major driving trips yet, but, I do see improvements and that's what matters right now, eh? Just say yes.:snork:
 
What a day you've had! And you are doing the right thing now. You might be sore tomorrow, but you are on the way to independence!
 
good for you Pheebs ~ you got through all that driving and shopping. you'll feel encouraged after another good night's rest and a nap if needed and your body will recover faster each time. i still feel a little shaky out there in the real world by myself; drove myself to hair salon today, first haircut in over 3 months! yes, you're right, improvement is what matters.:thumb:
 
What a day! I'll bet it felt good to get out for a bit. Hope the incision behaves itself.
 
Back
Top Bottom