TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

@Pheebs52 Congratulations on getting up off the sofa hands free! It's been ages since I could do that. And also on stair climbing--pretty or not, you did it!
 
Wow, hands free?! I don't know how long it's been since I've done that! Very exciting! Congratulations!
 
Thanks Gertie! You'll probably be next, lol!

No, no, no....not *hands-free* @dvannie...railing! But hey, who cares, right? Not me.:happydance:
 
Congrats Pheebs! I think 6 weeks is a turning point in recovery... a breakthrough week!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for all the applause my Smartie friends! It really has been a week for the record books in my house!:heehee: I wonder what tomorrow will bring? Hahaha, who knows, right?

The *no-hands* sofa get-up was so strange! I was almost asleep when I did it....maybe that helped? I just wasn't alert enough to automatically perform my usual get-up routine. I haven't even tried it again today just in case it was a fluke, lol.

Oh Becky, I can really relate to the image of a newborn giraffe and sadly, it's only cute if you ARE a giraffe! But, now is not the time to fret about garce and beauty, eh? As I told my PT, I am not Gisele Bundchen, so don't expect much with my sashays across the room, and please, keep a straight face. :SUNsmile:

IowaNana, I can fully relate to the sideways hobble downstairs....just awful and probably my personal catalyst for TKR. I might have a Frankenstair walk now, but it sure beats that painful hobble!

Kmak, I *think* we need to have 90 degrees flexion to actually walk foot-over-foot downstairs. I could be wrong, but feel I heard or read that....somewhere. My mental filing cabinet is in a bit of disarray right now, so it's difficult to keep these statistics straight. However, since we're both enjoying the *scenic-route* to recovery, it might be awhile before that happens. In fact, it may be one of the last things that happens, lol.
 
Hahhaha, see what happens when you miss a day or two, Jaschembra? Never a dull moment.:wink:
 
Pheebs, good for you hanging on to the rails as you did the steps! Safety first!!
 
Although I'm doing the stairs up and down I always have a firm grip on the handrail, can't see me ever doing them without the rail! Well done on getting off a sofa without a push off, again don't see me ever getting off anything low without a good push, can manage to get up from loo pan with no push but it is quite high so don't think that counts!!
 
On some medical website I read one needs 110 ° flexion to walk downstairs. It sounds logical.
I comfortably make 95. Uncomfortably reach 110 but cannot walk down steps nor complete a rotation on stationary bike. My physiotherapist said I needed 120 for those.
Who knows a better reliable source.? On this forum there could be such data, yes?
 
Yes, we have an article:
ROM (range of motion) information

It includes this information:
These degrees of flexion are required for the following activities:
- 65° to walk,
- 70° to lift an object from the floor,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces.


It's not just ROM that contributes to your being able to do some activities, such as walking down stairs or doing a full rotation on the bike.
So much depends on how far your knee has healed. After all, when you're walking downstairs foot over foot, your TKR knee not only has to support your full weight, but also to do a mini-squat and balance well while doing so.
Rotation on the bike also depends on how high the seat is set, and how far back, where you place your foot on the pedals, etc.

Many people manage to do everything in life with a ROM of less than 120.
 
I always use handrails. Always have, even as a nimble youngster with bouncy knees. I have a healthy fear of falling. Some steps don't have handrails, though, and sometimes we carry things, so... good to gain the ability to go slowly (or quickly) without rails. But if there are rails, I'm a'using them!
 
Hmmm, my experience has been rather different than those ROM stats listed Celle, but Mama always said I was an odd duck. :yahoo: For instance, I could tie my shoelaces at 3 weeks post op with flexion of only 40. I walked with my walker and crutches with flexion of only 30, but perhaps this list is referring to appliance free walking? I picked up my 12 pound dog with flexion of about 50. I was measured yesterday at PT and was told flexion is 81, yet, I walked up the stairs yesterday and today and got off of my soft low sofa, hands free, Lastly, I can now sit and stand comfortably, but I'm definitely not at 95. All of this makes me wonder if perhaps good extension makes a big difference? Thankfully, I do have zero extension and it's the only thing I can think of to explain the difference here.
 
I've always been a handrail person too SusieShoes. After all, they are there for a reason, right? Perhaps as a kid, I would gallop downstairs without rails, but not as an adult....why would I or anyone?

VW54, my OS told me I would need to be at 100-110 flexion to make a complete rotation on a bike. Is he right? I really don't know. But...I made 3 complete rotation son that silly pedal machine about 3 weeks ago, when my flexion was truly dismal. They were backwards, but still, they were complete. Go figure, eh?
 
Becky, seriously? YIKES!!!! That's the best laugh of the day; thanks!:rofsign:
 
I have the scars to prove it too!! Seriously my maiden name is Herchenroder, a very German background from one side of the family!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hahaha, I believe you Becky, nobody would make that up!:heehee:
 
Celle is right about the seat height and foot placement on the bike. I don't think I am past 95 flexion and I can ride the stationary bike - seat is high (though I have lowered an inch since I started two weeks ago) and it is easier depending on where your foot is on the pedal (heel easier than toe) and whether your ankle is plantarflexed or dorsiflexed. I can go downstairs awkwardly using a rail if the step is 6" high or less. And like Pheebs having been tying shoes for awhile now - where there's a will, there's a way - as I don't expect to hit 120 anytime soon :biking:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom