TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

I've been experiencing the strangest leg sensations this afternoon, but I assume it's my nerves attempting to reconnect? I'm getting little electric pings all over my leg, tingling and itching in the large, dead zone on the lateral side of my incision and a sensation of sunburned skin (it isn't) well above my incision. In a way, it's rather exciting since I'm hopeful it's a sign of healing? Just say yes please, lol! I also seem to have a bit less of the tourniquet above the knee sensation and that's just delightful. It's still there, but definitely not quite as intense.
 
Congrats on the good night sleep! That's great!

I haven't had the itching, but I have had the tingling sensation, and at times I've had spasms in my right leg. Nothing like it in my left so far. I assumed as well that it was nerve related.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
i've been getting those electric pings too, mostly in and around my knee.
 
@jaschembra, isn't it interesting how important it is to realize we are not alone with these symptoms and issues? I can't imagine going through this recovery process without the support of a great group like BoneSmart!
 
Oh, I'm sure I would still be thinking that something is radically wrong with my knee, leg, body lol if I didn't have these stories to relate to.
 
Reading all the different experiences here keeps me from being alarmed every time a new symptom turns up! I'm really happy not to encounter some of the things people write about, for sure. Things like sleepless nights, though, and zingers... glad to be forewarned.
 
Yes, that tingling, burning sensation is nerve related. It feeling really strange, doesn't it? But, just know it's something we all feel one time or another!
 
Zingers here too! It's all those cut nerves trying to get going again!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hahaha, well yeah! I imagine there's a direct affect on the number of calls to surgeon's offices as well, lol!
 
@sistersin him, they are strange sensations, but I prefer them to the deep bone ache that goes down the shin now and then!

@JennyLynne, so electrical pings are called zingers? Good to know! I like to label things appropriately, lol.
 
We call them zingers. I don't know if there is a technical word for them.
They're tiny electric shocks from the cut nerve endings that are sending out messages, trying to connect again, or set up a new pathway.
 
Thanks Celle! I thought that might be the case but it's nice to have it confirmed!
 
Day 14: Today is my two week kneeversary! I have an appointment today with the PA at my surgeon's office at 3:30 to evaluate my progression and hopefully remove my staples. I'm a smidgen worried about what he'll say in regard to my supposedly poor ROM, but am still hopeful he'll be pleased with my progress in other ways. For instance, I removed the high toilet seat yesterday and have had no problems; woohoo! When I showered this morning, I could swing the bionic knee leg over the tub like a champ. This morning, I was able to bend down and empty the dishwasher without difficulty! I just really don't want to hear that scary MUA acronym. I've no idea what he will suggest since I fired the despicable home PT, but hope he will work with me on the gentle, less is more, BoneSmart, approach. After all, I will be doing 26 stairs for this visit just to get in and out of my house, so I think he should be impressed with that alone; hah! If he doesn't have time to remove my staples today, ( 37 of 'em) the Visiting Nurse will have that job tomorrow and I can't wait! Bring it on!

As per @keefsmom and @SusieShoes yesterday, I decided to don my finest sleepwear last night, rather than my ratty yoga clothes and expired T-shirts. I prepped my bed nest with the usual complement of 49 pillows, ice, and my Pug. I took all my nighttime pills, but.....no zzzz's; pffft! Was my nightshirt the wrong color or fabric? Did the Red Sox play and lose a game? Possibly, LOL. I don't know where that elusive sleep fairy was hiding, but tonight I am heading for the recliner instead wearing my usual scruffy *uniform*. Seems to work best, and right now, if I was told to put a dead chicken under my pillow for a good night's sleep, I'd do it with no hesitation.
 
Oh, pheebs, we're jinxed I got zero sleep last night too! I'm chalking it up to nerves about having the staples removed today (which turned out to be no big deal at all)! Now all I wanna do is sleep all day but if I do I'll be screwed again tonight!

Just posted my OS's less than encouraging evaluation today over on my thread--I hope yours went better! At least no one said M U A!
 
I have the sunburned leg feeling still. The skin is just so sensitive around the knee.
 
What did your PA say? You can take what kind of pt you want. No one else has control over that but you! Stand your ground! Just don't go and go to who you want to. Or don't go at all. You'll get to the finish line either way. The no pt is the easier and quickly way in my opinion!
 
Ok, I'm back. I'm almost too tired to type but I'll probably be even more so later on, so here goes: The PA was glad I fired the nasty Home PT person. When he heard my tale, he branded her unprofessional and incompetent. I enjoyed the sweet smell of vindication. But....I will have to attend Outpatient PT for ROM only; NO STRENGTH MOVES. My ROM is only a dismal 30 when trying to do a heel-slide and obviously not good enough. He was furious that the PT had already mentioned the possibility of MUA. He said it's much too early to make any sort of judgement in that regard, (and not HER job) but if needed, it would be done somewhere between 8-12 weeks. He also said he sees many patients with cruddy ROM at 2 weeks who end up doing very well; phew! In my case, there IS still a lot of swelling and apparently, I had a lot of bleeding, (hence, very colorful leg) which, according to him, contributes to pain and stiffness. He'd like me to continue with the R.I.C.E. routine as much as possible, but walk once per hour for about 5 minutes each hour. He mentioned those darned TEDS, but I think I'll take a pass on that suggestion. I have a few ACE bandages and other compression items that are much more user-friendly than TEDS.

Now, hold onto your hats! Are you sitting down? He said I am under-medicated! Anyone who lives in this country can appreciate just what an astonishing statement that is for a doc to make in this very drug paranoid climate. If he says so, I'm certainly not going to fight it. He feels if I was properly medicated I'd be sleeping better....hmmm, can't really argue with that either. So, he wants me to use 10mg of Oxy, not 5mg as I've been doing, especially at bedtime. He's all about getting in good zzzz's.:SUNsmile: He did say I could use my judgment and use the higher dose on a PRN basis during daylight hours. I was flattered to hear he believes I have good judgment since I entered his office with pinpoint pupils and Pug hair on my black pants. However, I wasn't drooling or slurring my words, so that probably helped. He actually offered Dilaudid, but I turned it down since I really don't wish to feel like a resident of Andromeda or Bellevue. For some reason, I actually like to have my few wits about me.

The Staples: Well....not exactly fun, but actually the four sutures I had were much worse. It seemed they required some ....er...*digging*. Mistah had to leave the room; hah! It probably would've been better to wait another day or two, but hey, I was there and so was he. Since it was a bit of a bloody mess, he decided to cover the area with steri- strips. I guess they'll fall off on their own. Right now, I'm just relieved to have those staples out and that pulled skin sensation gone; yeehaw!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
you have a very sensible surgeon. hope you can get a better sleep with the increased medication. i ended up pulling off my steri strips after a couple of weeks because they just weren't going anywhere, even after showering!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom