TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

No-Ice Land... a lovely place! And so liberating, too. I still keep a pair of smaller (than the big ice blankets) packs in the freezer, just in case. But ice is now on an as-needed basis. :egypdance:
 
Oh, I'm not ready to toss my ice-packs @SusieShoes! Nooooo, I'll keep them, and I'm sure I'll need them from time to time, but it was so pleasant and odd to realize I just didn't need them last night! None needed this morning either.....*knocking on wood*!

I'm almost afraid to put this in print, but I feel as though the tight band above the knee sensation has shrunk to just a fairly small spot that doesn't cause much trouble; phew! Even my *dead-zone* numb-area on lateral side and fairly large, seems to be a bit diminished in intensity.....maybe it's the new TKR T-Shirt working some magic? LOL!
 
I love seeing you, @Pheebs52! Looking great in that shirt! My un-TKR knee has been bothering me a bit lately, too. I think @kmak81230's PT has a point, that we tend to block pains other than the most pressing one. I think I've read in spy novels that "heroes" are often taught to inflict pain, like biting their tongue, on themselves in order to withstand the pain of torture. Cheery thought, eh?

How are we even going to recognize you at the wine and dine party if you aren't doing the hip drop any more? (It's a good thing you've posted a clear pic of yourself!)
 
@Pheebs52, if those t-shirts are magical, I will definitely order one. I can actually believe it contributed to an ice-free day and your numb zone shrinking. We feel better when we look good - and as my mama always said, "Wash your face, brush you hair, you'll feel a whole lot better," and you do look fetching in that shirt.
 
Hah, yes what a cheery thought @Polkadot! Following this pretzel logic, if I bite my tongue, my knee should feel fab, right? Hmmm, perhaps I'll give that a whirl tomorrow, lol. I saw a Pain Specialist about 5 years ago who also endorsed the "Pain Gate," theory that @kmak81230 referred to in her post. I think there is some truth to it. For instance, when I had a bout with kidney stones, my knees didn't bother me at all. That said, I don't recommend it. :holysheep:

Everyone will easily recognize me at the 9 month soiree because I'll be the one with the special T-Shirt! Of course, @Thesoutherncook will be there as well, but she has chosen a different color scheme, so it should be easy to tell us apart.:SUNsmile: I think I may be about a head taller as well, but not certain on that; hah!

I'm so glad both you and @phrog enjoyed my fashionista photo! I certainly struggled to take it, not being very well versed in "Selfies," and also trying to squeeze in all the lettering. Indoors was impossible due to lighting which is why I am reclining outdoors, lol. I tried to take a photo of my newly improved scar this morning but that didn't seem to work out very well; pffft! I can certainly see why "Selfie-Sticks," are a thing!

Phrog, my Mama always said the same thing; GMTA! She would be appalled at my present, peasant attire and longish hair. I sometimes wonder where she got me from.....Cabbage Patch, perhaps? Yes, that must be it.:SUNsmile:
 
I love peasant attire! Gave up on the long hair a while ago, though. And I do see a slight resemblance to the Cabbage Patch coterie. We visited the original store/hospital/nursery once, and it was quite an experience!
 
I've had the same hairstyle since high school - hahahaha! No fuss, no muss . . . .and I just decided I'm not buying any more professional clothes with retirement looming in a couple of years (not that I dress very professionally anyway-lol). Now, back to the knees . . . congrats on the ice ditch (for a night anyway). I've pretty much given it up except for after spin class or a long walk.
 
and I just decided I'm not buying any more professional clothes with retirement looming in a couple of years

I am retired, and this has been my mantra, too. I'm just not wearing many "nice" clothes any more. Why dress up when you can be comfortable? Unfortunately, on my trip up north, I broke down and bought an expensive, beautiful piece of jewelry from a Traverse City jewelry artist. What can I say??? Where was my head??? I can only attribute it to TKR insanity, as it's a bit too much for my usual leggings and tunic ensembles.
 
Well Smarties, I guess I didn't set a new, ice-free trend yet. Last night was definitely an icy one. Not sure why (as if there is a why) but, it does what it wants as we all know. I'm going to blame lugging grocery up the 13 stairs into my house. Typically, Mistah does that, but he's been away all week, so I was left to my own carrying devices and abilities. I'm happy to report it's better this morning and I think I'll get out for a nature walk when it warms up just a bit more. My long hair and peasant attire will accompany my knee in rag-tag fashion, lol. If I added a tambourine as an accessory, I could join a Rock Band.
 
Oooh, photos of the jewelry please @Polkadot! It had to be something really special to make a snap decision like that and I'm sure you'll enjoy wearing it, regardless of your every day uniform!

I haven't bought or needed professional clothes for several years and couldn't be happier! It's a huge savings and I can spend those dollars on other, more interesting things. And I do, lol.
 
Ahhhh the professional clothing conundrum! I am in that boat also, having been retired this past 5 years. I have the very dressy or the very casual. Tonight is my granddaughter's graduation/ commencement ceremony ( from high school as she is now attending University) and I find myself worrying more about what I can find to wear than how my knees are going to handle the event. I guess that's a positive???:shrug:
 
Ah, Pheebs - the pain of lugging the groceries. I get positively flummoxed when I get home to discover Mr. Phrog has gone someplace before I got home with all those bags. At least we have ice to ease the sadness and soreness. I like the conversation about our costumes- all of us retired ladies and gentlemen seem to be in comfort mode at this stage. I loved the peasant look in the 60s/70s and love it still. Wore my big hoop earrings to the OS today, though no one would believe the little old lady in tennis shoes to be a flower child. @Polkadot, when on vacation or a business trip, one needs a trinket or memento to remember the successes - in your case walking and shopping and standing at business functions. You deserved a treat and handmade jewelry is pretty special. I buy old glass milk bottles wherever we travel if we can find them. They are useful too as they make perfect flower vases (however having about 30 of them may stretch the meaning of useful).
 
Last edited:
@phrog, Mistah really had a nerve not being here to lug, lol! I must say, it was tough. It wouldn't have been any problem whatsoever if I lived in a one-floor home, or even had just a few stairs at the entryway, but this split-level house on a hill with all these stairs is killer. My thoughts have been drifting to the lovely condo we saw recently with a zero-stair entryway. Today, my so-called *good* knee has been worse than the fake; pffft!

I wish I still had some big, hoop earrings from the 60's, so perhaps I should see if I can buy some.:-) I think most former "Flower-Children," are now loosely attired in some sort of athletic wear for comfort's sake, but the odd Birkenstock or pair of large hoop earrings are a dead give away. Most of us also probably have some bionic parts, eh?

I agree with your sentiments about trips. They do need special tokens to remind us of victories and fun memories! I am a former collector of green Ball Jars, so I understand your milk glass collection completely. Once I accumulated too many, I moved on to pottery, lol. In the last two years, I began to dispense with many *extras* all due to our impending retirement relocation and the "Less is more," philosophy. Oh, and I also got tired of dusting them.:heehee:
 
Pheebs, oh man - sorry for the "good knee" being worse than the bionic today. My good one acts up some, but so far has not reached the level of the one I had replaced. Hope you were able to ice and relax after the ordeal of the grocery bags and stairs. I always wanted a two story house and now I am grateful we decided to stay in our single level home.

I have a few bell jars, too - but mainly milk bottles with the name of the dairy and the location. My sisters started me on this many years ago when my husband and I moved to the South - they gave me a parting gift of a pint milk bottle from the home delivery dairy that my mom used when we were kids - it shows the name of our home town as well. And so an addiction was born.

I, too am thinking of downsizing these things, but no move is imminent for us and I have decided at least for now to keep the things that still make me happy. I am afraid my daughters will someday need to figure out how to divest themselves of the milk bottles and about 50 photo albums - oh and the books. Dusting is admittedly a pain - especially since the surgery as the bottles are on a shelf that runs the length of the sunroom just below an 11 foot ceiling. I can see them when am on the sofa in the family room icing. They look good from that angle. Good thing my eye sight isn't what it used to be :loll:because I am not quite ladder ready yet to get the dusting done!

The flower children definitely are at the right age for bionic parts - I firmly believe Berkinstocks and hoop earrings will never go out of style. At least I hope not.
 
pheebs52...i love long hair and peasant attire, although i got mine all cut off. the only attire i'm interested in right now is beach attire, gorgeous coverups for the express purpose of covering up lol. do you think it's too early for me to pack for february? i agree with you that your next home should have a maximum of 3 steps to get inside from your car. poor you lugging those groceries up 13 steps. glad you recovered overnight. i usually take re-usable bags for groceries and if i don't ask the cashier to balance them, they end up packing them so full and heavy. i foolishly lift them into the car and recently i take out the heavy items and place them loosely in the trunk. i find carrying heavy items affects the muscles in my legs and now my "old knee", so will be more careful.

p.s. i love your look, reminds me of joni mitchell.
 
Pssst: I'm keeping this on the down-low, but....I've been enjoying 4 solid days of an "almost normal knee." I hit the 5 month mark yesterday, so perhaps there is some magic mojo in that number.....who can say for sure? Only my knee. Oh, and "The Shadow," of course. ANK (Almost Normal Knee) means there's no pain of any sort regardless of what I'm doing. There's still some very low-level stiff-stuff and a smidgen of tightness, but it's all fairly vague. The numb area remains, but that might be with me forever. That said, it is less intense. Because it's ANK, I'm just not thinking about it very much at all. Hopefully, knee amnesia will follow soon, eh? I'm sure it will.:snork:

*Knocking on wood while tossing salt over my shoulder with fingers crossed*
 
@liam2015, I don't think it's ever too soon to pack for a fabulous vacation! Start packing those flip-flops, sunhats, bathing suits and cover-ups! Whoohoo!
 
Woot Woot! Here's to ANK :cheers: - ain't it grand! I'm at the same place most of the time so I think we may be entering Phase III. Not healed enough to risk overdoing it in a big way, but feeling pretty :censored: good. My numb area was a bit irritated over the weekend but I expect it was getting in and out of trucks with jeans on, etc . . . today, even after spin class it feels pretty good. Very happy for you - all of your patience combined with taking the slow, gentle approach has paid off! :yay:
 
Thanks @kmak81230! I think perhaps you may be right and Phase 111 is upon us! Like you, I'm not ready to engage in any risky business, far from it, but overall, am feeling pretty darned good. Really paranoid about putting that in print though, lol!
 
Yes, you are definitely on the downhill side of this recovery! Wahhhooooo! We'll hope for smooth sailing and fewer bumps in the road from here on out. My #2 OS said this is a 6month journey. As you say so eloquently, pffffttttt! But, I assure you that part 3 is easier.

I understand ( from the family “fashion police”) that Birkenstocks are HOT now ....with loud funky socks! And large hoop earrings are def “in”! Personally, I've lived in yoga pants, t-shirts and sneakers for the past 3 months. It was hard to put on “real” clothes the past 3 weekends! Being retired definitely has its advantages! And its finally cool enough today for me to wear my TKR TOUGH t-shirt to PT! :egypdance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom