PKR PartialFix -- Recovering...

@Jaycey Interesting. So you think the stiffness will improve as my strength improves because the lack of strength puts more force on my knee and then this force on my knee currently causes stiffness? Interestingly I have zero stiffness with non-weight bearing bending anymore, it's just the initial weight bearing standing from sitting. I guess that makes sense and if I think about it, that's why my PT doesn't want me to do any mini squat-type moves without TRX straps to take pressure off of the knees.

And, yes, I am in disbelief how I can walk without pain now and stand for long periods as well with no meds after living on handfuls of ibuprofen pre-op that barely even took the edge off.

Thanks for your input.
 
@partialfixFeb....My PKR was around a month after yours, and I’m experiencing the same stiffness when I get out of my car. It reminds me that my knee is still very much in healing mode, and I trust that it will ease with time. On Sunday, I spent around 3 hours behind the wheel, which was not smart at all. I could barely get out of the car, and then hobbled to my elevation/icing spot, where I spent the rest of the day. What an adventure this recovery can be!
 
@partialfixFeb Think of this process as a year (or more) long process. At times it seems like things move at a snails pace. Just keep trying and ice and elevate to reduce any swelling. Your knee is in charge now. Just listen to it and continue to baby it if needed.
 
@partialfixFeb I am over a 1.5 years from my medial partial. I still notice a slight pain in the morning or when first weight bearing. It goes away in a few minutes. My OS says everything looks good on X-Rays. I am not worried about it any more. I figure it is a small price to pay, for being pain free 99.995% of the time.
 
Today, I am 4 months post-op. Still walking but realizing my brisk walks are not so "brisk" :happydance:And, some days more so than others.

Neighbors that I used to keep up with often pass me when I walk in the neighborhood. And that's okay, but sometimes (well, lots of times) my brain tells me that it's as fast as I'll get with my new knee - that this is the new normal.

Then yesterday, at the park, a woman powered past me at a great pace and it reminded me of myself before I injured my knee - or maybe, truthfully, she was faster than I ever was. Anyway, it ended up that we parked next to each other at the park and I told her she had a great pace. She was probably 15-20 years older than I am so I couldn't blame it on "youth." I told her that I'll get there one day - that I had knee surgery in February. Turns out that she had bilateral knee replacements 10 years ago! She told me to hang in there and that it takes A YEAR -- A YEAR just like this forum advises. On the plus side, she said when she was behind me (before lapping me) that pointed out that my gait was good and convinced me that that she would have noticed if my gait was off or if I was limping. It was a good reminder to be patient. She said that her scars were her only reminder and it was the best decision she ever made.

I still struggle with walking like a drunkard the first 10 - 15 steps after sitting for a spell :heehee: but it does help a little if I bend my knees back and forth while sitting several times before I stand up.

I am so used to being able to ramp up the exercise to knock off a few pounds but that's a ways off as I don't feel I work up any sort of a sweat walking at my pace. Still, it is a zillion times better than before I got the surgery and I am beyond grateful for that! Just gotta eat a bit better.

QUESTION: I am not sure about returning to the gym post-COVID and thinking I may finally splurge for a bike for my home. Recumbent best? Any suggestions as to the best type and kind of bike? The brunt of my cardio has always been running/walking/singles tennis and I feel I need to mix it up more to help preserve my knees and get some exercise that is not weight bearing. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
 
I personally like the recumbent bike. As for which brand, just check out the reviews on Amazon on the one you're interested in. If you decide to get one from Amazon be sure to Shop smile.Amazon.com and donations will go to BoneSmart!
 
We placed an order for a Pelaton, weeks ago...delivery is end of July, and We are hearing delivery could be pushed back due to demand...people do not want to go back to a gym or such, so much gym equipment is hard to come by...
 
@Qdogpa We ordered a peloton at the beginning of quarantine and it arrived in 2 weeks. It was delivered to our garage, assembled. My husband and I got it inside... and it’s still sitting right inside the door, lol. It was too heavy to move upstairs or downstairs, and we haven’t had people in our home yet. Probably time to find a better spot!
 
August 10 was 6 months post-op and I feel as if I am back to my old self. :happydance:

The residual stiffness getting up from a chair after sitting too long disappeared several weeks ago. I can honestly report that my knee feels normal.

I have stayed diligent about keeping up with the home exercises the PT gave me (BORING) and my legs have gradually gotten stronger which my PT says are key to help protect my knees. I don't add exercises without consulting with my PT first as she encouraged me to do things I didn't think I could/should do yet she also stopped me from doing things I figured would be fine.

I walk lengthy distances regularly with zero pain and zero problems afterwards. Yesterday, I walked
8+ brisk miles with zero pain during or after and my speed (and cardio) has definitely improved. I have been diligent about mixing it up and some days are only easy short walks or Tabata intervals on the exercise bike (non-weight bearing.) I no longer HATE stairs. And I have caught myself kneeling during yoga without discomfort which I did not expect to ever happen.

I honestly feel like breaking into a jog sometimes but I stop myself. Everyone's recovery is different. I was fortunate that I did not suffer complications or setbacks but I agree (as the forum says) that my recovery was not linear. I realize I am beyond blessed and can only pray it lasts for many years. I believe my pre-op exercises helped me with my recovery a great deal. I am grateful to have found an amazing surgeon, a gentle, knowledgeable PT, and this forum to slow me down during the healing stages.

I wish the best of luck to those working through their recovery and encourage you to listen to your knee. It is the boss.
 
@partialfixFeb
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
This was terrific news to read. I share your joy!
Good job on your dedication to PT and distance walking. You’re an example of how to get through this ... one step at a time
 
Congrats Partialfix! great to hear when someone has crossed the proverbial finish line ...
 
Today was my 1 year post-op appointment.

My surgeon was very pleased. I thanked him profusely and he told me that I am "making him look good." He said he does not need to see me again for 4 years.

I am beyond grateful for his surgical expertise (and my PT's gentle, gradual approach). I can honestly say that I am pain-free, that I have my active lifestyle back, and that my PKR does not feel like a foreign object. I cannot believe that my new knee is an afterthought. I hope it lasts - time will tell.

I have to wonder if it helped that I got my surgery fairly quickly after it began hurting me instead of waiting many years as some surgeons I consulted with had suggested.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] PartialFix -- Recovering...
    knee 1 year.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 172
What a wonderful report @partialfixFeb! :loveshwr: I think you were probably smart not to wait, I definitely waited to long and paid a price for it. Getting it done early, with a gentle PT approach and you have set your life back on "Active"! I'm happy that things worked out well for you.
 
I am approaching the 2 year mark in a couple of months for a left medial PKR. Problem is: I have another knee :-)

I am very active: yoga, Pilates, and long, hilly hikes 1 -2 x week and shorter easy walks most other days. Also, I still do strength training and PT to protect my knees as best that I can. (No high impact activities.)

I have been finding myself modifying my activities, cutting short some hikes, hiking less often, etc. Feeling that familiar medial tenderness/ache in my unoperated (right) knee.

When I opted to schedule my left PKR, I was limping and there was no choice but to get the surgery as every step was painful. Luckily, that surgery was a success - thus far at least.

I saw my surgeon yesterday and after assessing my stability, flexibility, and X-rays he said that I qualified for a right medial PKR. He showed me how the right knee was bone-on-bone. It was at the same stage as my left knee was when I opted to get the left medial PKR and clearly the space narrowed when compared to my right knee X-Ray from August 2019.

Here's my hesitation: I indicated that the pain was not intense and often intermittent so I asked him about the risks of waiting. He indicated that I could wait and get another x-ray in a year or every three months. I asked if I was damaging/stressing the bones if I waited too long and he said that it may be fine for another year or so but there is the risk of it progressing to me needing a TKR if I wait too long but that you never know. He also pointed out that if I were to tear my ACL while compensating/waiting, that I would no longer qualify for a PKR but that risk was small. He made it clear it wasn't something that I could likely ignore for years and years without a risk of consequences but did not push me at all.

I also worry that I could be stressing my implant on the operated knee if I wait too long but of course it is major surgery and I am not looking forward to going through that prolonged, gradual recovery (terrified) even though my recovery was good compared to others.

I'm wondering if anyone feels they waited too long or booked their surgery too soon. My first PKR was at 54 and I am now 56.
 
What I have seen on the boards is that the worse you joint is at the time of replacement (partial or total) the longer and more painful the recovery is. I personally wouldn't make a decision based on that but I would include it in the equation to decide when to address that knee.
 
I'm wondering if anyone feels they waited too long or booked their surgery too soon.
I am convinced I had my surgery too soon. I was not bone on bone, but had what I thought was a lot of pain, going up and down stairs, and sitting down/getting up. Other than that, I was fine. I could walk fine, bend my knee fine, etc. I had the surgery to fix my pain. Compared to all my new discomforts and limitations post surgery with a bad outcome, I’d love to go back to the pain I had before. I wish I had waited until I was bad enough for a total replacement. It probably would have come out better.
 
I am approaching the 2 year mark in a couple of months for a left medial PKR. Problem is: I have
I'm wondering if anyone feels they waited too long or booked their surgery too soon.

I am convinced I waited too long. My RoM was down to about 75 degrees before my TKR and after each of my three surgeries my ROM would degrade to about 75 degrees.

An article I saw showed a strong correlation between RoM before surgery and after surgery. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the first TKR as soon as my RoM started to decrease. Pain was not the driver for getting the TKR in my case, it was loss of RoM.
 
I am convinced I had my surgery too soon. I was not bone on bone,

I worry about getting the surgery too soon but I also feel like a ticking time bomb and having it hang over my head is giving me so much anxiety. Last go-round, by the time I got the steroid and gel injections and then waited months to get on the surgeon's schedule, I lost 6 months altogether limping and losing thigh strength.

I hear what you are saying about how you were not bone-on-bone and wished you waited until you needed a TKR. That is certainly an option but my fear is that I will need a TKR before I am old enough to ensure that a TKR will be one and done and that I won't need a TKR revision in my 70's.

This bone-on-bone medial cartilage loss is genetic in my case and I saw my dad and his brother go through this same pain and TKR surgeries. His sister has limped for decades on crutches but her obesity prevented the surgeon from operating. It is awful and very sad that your surgery made things worse for you. I am sorry that happened to you.
 
While I’m not happy with my knee’s current condition I am managing ok, I don’t limp and I don’t use a walking aid. Two second opinions found nothing to fix, so at this point I’m not interested in any more opinions. It’s been almost 5 years now. I try not to think about a future revision. I deeply regret having this partial done and I’m not in any hurry to do this recovery over again, though if I do, I’ll do many things differently!
 
Back
Top Bottom