Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

PKR PartialFix -- Recovering...

OP
OP
P

partialfixFeb

Country
United States United States
@Jaycey Interesting. So you think the stiffness will improve as my strength improves because the lack of strength puts more force on my knee and then this force on my knee currently causes stiffness? Interestingly I have zero stiffness with non-weight bearing bending anymore, it's just the initial weight bearing standing from sitting. I guess that makes sense and if I think about it, that's why my PT doesn't want me to do any mini squat-type moves without TRX straps to take pressure off of the knees.

And, yes, I am in disbelief how I can walk without pain now and stand for long periods as well with no meds after living on handfuls of ibuprofen pre-op that barely even took the edge off.

Thanks for your input.

Wolvesfan

Country
@partialfixFeb....My PKR was around a month after yours, and I’m experiencing the same stiffness when I get out of my car. It reminds me that my knee is still very much in healing mode, and I trust that it will ease with time. On Sunday, I spent around 3 hours behind the wheel, which was not smart at all. I could barely get out of the car, and then hobbled to my elevation/icing spot, where I spent the rest of the day. What an adventure this recovery can be!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@partialfixFeb Think of this process as a year (or more) long process. At times it seems like things move at a snails pace. Just keep trying and ice and elevate to reduce any swelling. Your knee is in charge now. Just listen to it and continue to baby it if needed.

Rick951

Country
@partialfixFeb I am over a 1.5 years from my medial partial. I still notice a slight pain in the morning or when first weight bearing. It goes away in a few minutes. My OS says everything looks good on X-Rays. I am not worried about it any more. I figure it is a small price to pay, for being pain free 99.995% of the time.

OP
OP
P

partialfixFeb

Country
Today, I am 4 months post-op. Still walking but realizing my brisk walks are not so "brisk" :happydance:And, some days more so than others.

Neighbors that I used to keep up with often pass me when I walk in the neighborhood. And that's okay, but sometimes (well, lots of times) my brain tells me that it's as fast as I'll get with my new knee - that this is the new normal.

Then yesterday, at the park, a woman powered past me at a great pace and it reminded me of myself before I injured my knee - or maybe, truthfully, she was faster than I ever was. Anyway, it ended up that we parked next to each other at the park and I told her she had a great pace. She was probably 15-20 years older than I am so I couldn't blame it on "youth." I told her that I'll get there one day - that I had knee surgery in February. Turns out that she had bilateral knee replacements 10 years ago! She told me to hang in there and that it takes A YEAR -- A YEAR just like this forum advises. On the plus side, she said when she was behind me (before lapping me) that pointed out that my gait was good and convinced me that that she would have noticed if my gait was off or if I was limping. It was a good reminder to be patient. She said that her scars were her only reminder and it was the best decision she ever made.

I still struggle with walking like a drunkard the first 10 - 15 steps after sitting for a spell :heehee: but it does help a little if I bend my knees back and forth while sitting several times before I stand up.

I am so used to being able to ramp up the exercise to knock off a few pounds but that's a ways off as I don't feel I work up any sort of a sweat walking at my pace. Still, it is a zillion times better than before I got the surgery and I am beyond grateful for that! Just gotta eat a bit better.

QUESTION: I am not sure about returning to the gym post-COVID and thinking I may finally splurge for a bike for my home. Recumbent best? Any suggestions as to the best type and kind of bike? The brunt of my cardio has always been running/walking/singles tennis and I feel I need to mix it up more to help preserve my knees and get some exercise that is not weight bearing. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

sistersinhim

Country
I personally like the recumbent bike. As for which brand, just check out the reviews on Amazon on the one you're interested in. If you decide to get one from Amazon be sure to Shop smile.Amazon.com and donations will go to BoneSmart!

Qdogpa

Country
We placed an order for a Pelaton, weeks ago...delivery is end of July, and We are hearing delivery could be pushed back due to demand...people do not want to go back to a gym or such, so much gym equipment is hard to come by...

JennyLynne

post-grad
Country
@Qdogpa We ordered a peloton at the beginning of quarantine and it arrived in 2 weeks. It was delivered to our garage, assembled. My husband and I got it inside... and it’s still sitting right inside the door, lol. It was too heavy to move upstairs or downstairs, and we haven’t had people in our home yet. Probably time to find a better spot!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
elosasso
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom