Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain Meds

Great that you have turned a corner of the recovery process. It feels great when you can see and feel the progress. Keep this moment in memory as you go as sometimes it takes a while to get to the next corner. It will come and it's hard to wait it out and not get down waiting for it.
 
Great that you have turned a corner of the recovery process. It feels great when you can see and feel the progress. Keep this moment in memory as you go as sometimes it takes a while to get to the next corner. It will come and it's hard to wait it out and not get down waiting for it.
 
I will keep that in mind. It makes sense. I’m hoping that the next corner is a little easier to get to than this first one! I really didn’t know that it was so hard, at least for me. Thanks!
 
Hope you're feeling better now im 4weeks in and getting better every day but the nights are still awful cant sleep on sife note even non op as too painfull so back it isand hour or two at a time only hope your doing better
 
I am a side sleeper, too. It’s very frustrating not to be able to get comfortable. I’ve tried sleeping on my non operative side with a long pillow between my legs but, somehow it doesn’t work. I’ve been doing “laps” inside with the walker (the walker allows me to walk almost normally) after dinner every night. Back and forth down a long hall. It feels great and helps me sleep, I think. Hope your sleep gets better!
 
:wave:Hi @Merrytaylor
It took me longer than a month to be able to sleep on my side, so I consider your failed attempts normal. Wait a bit and then try it for a time, on occasion, without the expectation that you’ll be comfortable that way all night long. Continue to remind yourself that you’re in the very beginning stages of a recovery that can take a full year, even longer for some, but you will notice improvement in strength and steadiness all along.
Have a great week and a Happy New Year to you!
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
I want to wait until I am able to sleep on my side like I used to - either side, no pillow. That’s what gave me the most pain pre-surgery even though otherwise it was my preferred sleep position. I’ll stay on my back, for now.
Happy, New Year Layla !
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a nice weekend. Roll on 2021, fingers crossed it’s a good year! :fingersx:
@Merrytaylor
 
Thanks so much, Layla! What a difference two weeks makes. I feel like I’m well on my way to recovery!

Happy 2021!
 
:wave:Hi @Merrytaylor
It took me longer than a month to be able to sleep on my side, so I consider your failed attempts normal. Wait a bit and then try it for a time, on occasion, without the expectation that you’ll be comfortable that way all night long. Continue to remind yourself that you’re in the very beginning stages of a recovery that can take a full year, even longer for some, but you will notice improvement in strength and steadiness all along.
Have a great week and a Happy New Year to you!
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
With or without a pillow between legs - longer than one month? Thanks
 
It took me longer than a month for sure, more like two, and then only for short periods as I adjusted to it. My hesitation was mainly fear that it would hurt. I used a Body Pillow, approx $10 from Target, you can purchase one from Amazon and other places also. I still use it three and a half years later, every night. I like the Body Pillow because it’s longer and fits almost the entire length of my legs, especially with top leg bent. At this point, I am so used to it, I’d have difficulty falling asleep without it.

Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library -
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and slowly getting back to life and all you enjoy.
Leave an update as time allows, we’d love to read about your progress.
Wishing you a lovely February! :loveshwr:
@Merrytaylor
 
I had my 8 week check with my surgeon last week and all is well. I am bothered by the fact however, that I still cannot raise my operative leg in front of me when I am sitting down to put on socks or shoes. I can just make it, with pain, to lift it onto an ottoman in front of my sofa. Other than this issue my hip and leg feel pretty normal. I’m walking about a mile a day with a cane. I can and do walk shorter distances without the cane but, feel that I need it still for longer distances. I’ve also extended my physical therapy to get as strong and mobile as possible. The PT has actually been enjoyable. Overall things have been good. I so wish I’d known this back at the beginning. Bonesmart has been incredibly helpful and supportive the whole way. Lucky I found all of you!
 
We’re happy you found BoneSmart and we thank you for your kind words! :)
It’s great to read you had a reassuring appointment with your surgeon last week. It seems you’re doing well. At only two months you’re still early into recovery. I’m sure lifting your leg and putting on socks and shoes with ease will come in time.
Thanks for updating. It was good to hear from you.:wave:
@Merrytaylor
 
I am bothered by the fact however, that I still cannot raise my operative leg in front of me when I am sitting down to put on socks or shoes.
When you are sitting your hip flexor muscles are in a shortened position, it is more difficult for them to lift your leg. Give it time, you will be able to lift your knee as you heal.

Glad you have found BoneSmart helpful for your recovery, wishing you continued healing.
 
My op was 4 dec and i can only just put on socks with a few deep breaths lucky my slippers and shoes are push on. Keep smiling we'll get there in the end
 
I hope so. When I asked about this at the two week my OS said that by 6 weeks I’d be able to lift my leg. It’s 11 weeks now and I’m still lifting my leg with my hands to put on pants, shoes, socks. Assume it will resolve at some point!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom