THR Pain in hip after nine years.

:happydance:Post op 17 days. I felt really good today. My hip is getting stronger. I am now using just a cane. I can walk without it, but I limp horribly when I do, so I don't! I still can't put full weight on it, but that's okay. I know I will soon. Everything I do is getting easier. I know this is the time where people start feeling good and then overdo it. I am very aware of that, so I am forcing myself to continue to take it easy. I still spend most of the day on my couch with ice on my hip. I really have very little pain anymore. The pain I felt the other day after walking up my driveway is gone and most of my pain comes from the incision and the muscles in my thigh. I was able to go all night without taking a pain pill, from 10 pm until 6 am. I am also going about 5 hours between doses during the day. I feel like I could go longer, but I'm going to continue with this regimen until I am at 3 weeks post op and then try to wean myself off the narcotic pain meds and go to Tylenol alone. I still take naps every day. I am really pleased with my progress. If I could jump up and down, I would!
 
Sounds like you're doing great, Debbie. I think the 3 week time frame was when I started going off the pain meds, so I think that will probably be a good time for you as well. That 3 week milestone seemed to be when I really felt like I was making progress. It will be 6 weeks for me on Tuesday and I can't believe how fast it's gone by, and how good I feel. I can't quite jump up and down yet, but I can hop a bit.
 
@Dmcfad2 Sounds like you have a plan my dear!! It was about 3 weeks when I stopped the narcotics as well and things have gotten better from there. Good that you are still taking it easy, but the energy will start to return gradually but it sounds like you have the right idea by continuing to listen to your body and take it easy. Congrats on such a wonderful recovery thus far!!
 
@Dmcfad2 Debbie, you are doing a great job with your recovery.
You know all the things you are supposed to do, and are doing them.
Keep up the great work!
:thumb:
 
Wonderful! But you're right -- RESIST THE URGE TO OVERDO -- if you overdo it will bite you in the you know where! I'm so sure about this because I didn't resist the urge, and my you know where was like swiss cheese from all the bites.

The time will come when you just don't need the strong meds anymore -- I just started to forget to take them; it just happened naturally.
 
I am delighted to hear you are doing better. Made my day, that has!
 
Fabulous news...so glad you are on the up! Take it easy though xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Josephine Of course, you are the main reason I have had success. I listen to you!
[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.
 
Just checking in on you...you sound good...keep doing what your doing...This is my last week home...ugh...hoping I can work on Monday....We shall see right????.....With each day I can see how far I have come...The energy drain is for real.....Just have to force yourself through it....I think I have made a permanent indentation in our recliner...LOL...My husband is like do you think I can have my chair back soon????:heehee: Hugs....to you..
 
@chaseyboy I'm hanging in there. I feel like I have a long way to go, but I am making progress. It's slow going for me. My improvements at this point are minor each day. I have a lot of tightness and soreness in my quad and hamstring, which keeps me from being able to bend my knee like I would like to. I hope it will get better with time. I still have swelling, too. But, it's not even 3 weeks yet. Patience, right??
Good luck going back to work. Don't try to do too much. Rest up this week in preparation. You will do great!
 
I have a question about pain management. When I am at rest, I really have very little pain, just a soreness at my incision site that I keep iced. But, when I start to move around.....lift my leg, walk, bend my knee, that is when I still have pain, mainly a lot of stiffness and soreness in my quad, hamstring and at the incision. It can be a 5 or 6, but it is not constant. Just the result of movement. The stiffness does get a little better as the day goes on, but it is always there and it does hurt. So, my question is "how much pain is acceptable?" Should I be trying to medicate so that I don't feel ANY pain ever or just a minor amount of pain, maybe a 1 or 2? Or am I okay where I'm at and it will get better with time? I know we are supposed to keep on the pain meds so we can move and continue to recover. Maybe I am still under medicated? @Josephine, perhaps you can help me with this?
 
Hi Debbie, always look forward to reading about your progress.
Slow and steady wins the race they say, right?
I look forward to Josephine's reply on your pain expectations.... :friends:
 
You ask such a good question Debbie...it's the constant challenge I've had . Balancing the pain and the meds to allow movement and activity...finding that sweet spot is a moving target for me so I will be very interested in Josephine's insight.

Personally if I shoot for NO pain, I find I am too groggy to move around much anyway. So if I manage the pain to a 3-4 then I can handle some moving but nothing too strenuous. I don't know but I love that you asked the question!
 
my question is "how much pain is acceptable?" Should I be trying to medicate so that I don't feel ANY pain ever or just a minor amount of pain, maybe a 1 or 2?
I have a theory that muscles and other soft tissues know when they are in pain and their reaction is to swell more and get stiff more. So your aim should be to have a minimal amount of pain, just what's below your radar, so to speak. We can all cope with a niggle and some irritating aches and pains up to a point but it shouldn't make life difficult or intolerable for you.
when I start to move around.....lift my leg, walk, bend my knee, that is when I still have pain, mainly a lot of stiffness and soreness in my quad, hamstring and at the incision. It can be a 5 or 6, but it is not constant. Just the result of movement. The stiffness does get a little better as the day goes on, but it is always there and it does hurt.
This tells me you need to up your pain meds a little. You're only 3 weeks out which is still early days. This was mega-major surgery so don't stint yourself. There are no prizes for being a hero! :wink:
 
Thank you, Josephine. I will up my dose by half a pill and see how that works for me. Getting this med thing right has been a real challenge for me. I will be going along fine for a few days and then the pain will get bad again.
 
I suggest you don't mess with half tablets but take it as your doctor has prescribed it.
He takes the trouble to do that for a reason! :wink:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom