Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain in hip after nine years.

@Dmcfad2 , do you currently have a leg length discrepancy? I had a small one, but doc corrected during my surgery. (or so he said, lol)
 
@glmrphy Yes, my left leg used to be shorter than my right....since the operation it feels longer. I am not sure if it actually is longer, but my surgeon told me it would be that way to make it more stable. I have read that it eventually evens out after walking on it for awhile....kind of pounds it down, so to speak.
 
Post op day 13 Feeling blue today. I am making progress, but I have a long way to go. Waiting for this mood to lift.
 
Hey Debbie @Dmcfad2 don't feel blue ( although it's part of this process)! You might have a way to go...BUT look how far you've come!!!!!! Lots of hugs.... Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I'm sorry :sad:... I have had a few days like that, too... You have come a long way, every day is a step closer to your total recovery, we are all creeping along that same path. Hang in there, maybe a cup of hot tea and a good book will take your mind off for awhile. Hugs your way, dear :friends:
 
Hi.....well I still have those blues....just have to ride it out. I can say I feel good...not great...walking about....doing the house stuff but I won't lie I still have pain...I am debating on going back to work on 4/7 or seeing what another week would do...drove a little...it was not comfortable yet.. think we need to get to that 8th week. Seems that is when everyone seems to be saying they feel great. Looking forward to not feeling stiff. ...at this point I can say my pain is like a 3-4....but that's me...can't wait till I can :say it's a zero.....your doing good....think positive.....:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Post op 2 weeks I think I hurt myself today. I was doing great and using my cane around the house instead of my walker with no problem. Pt came today and assessed me....said I was doing great and recommended me for rehab because I have a problem with a very tight IT band and she thinks I would benefit from further PT.

Then, she wanted me to walk down my driveway and sidewalk a little ways with my cane. I hadn't done that before, I had only used a walker, but I figured I would be okay. I did fine on the way out, but coming back, I noticed my hip in my upper side buttock area, kind of to the front and top of my incision (I guess it is the joint, it is the spot where the upper leg moves back and forth when walking) was feeling sore when I put my weight on it.

I continued back into the house up the slight incline of my driveway, but was aware of the pain in my hip. Then, she left, I took a pain pill and took an hour nap. When I woke up, I noticed the pain was still there when I put weight on my hip. My husband took me out to dinner and I could barely lift my leg into the car. Now, we are home and I am sitting here on an ice pack, hoping I haven't done something to set me back. I am so bummed. Any thoughts?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Dmcfad2 I am not a pro at this at all, but my feelings are that maybe you just overworked the hip and it is throwing a fit because of it. :tantrum: I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along to hopefully give you more insight. :sos:Hoping it is nothing more, rest and feel better my friend!!:sleep:
 
Don't do anything that hurts. I don't care what a PT says, it's not their body. I have found myself saying to a PT, not sure I'm feeling comfortable with this, so think I'll stop. I found that when I switched to my cane that my gait changed slightly, and I'm sure it was bc I was only supported on the one side. I would have thought that with your cane being used for this first walk, it would have been more sensible for the PT to start off more slowly with the distance. Ice, elevate, take your meds and don't do it if it hurts. I know you were on your way back, but you want this to be helpful, not harmful. Hang in there, baby steps, you have been and will continue to do great. Just don't let a PT force you to do something you're not ready to do.
 
I had a similar situation with my first off-site PT session. She had me doing 2 and 3 sets of exercises I hadn't done before and I did them even though it was tough. The next day I could hardly walk and it took me 3 days to get back to where I had been before. I got so ticked off that I called and cancelled the rest of the sessions they had scheduled. I figure I can do better on my own until I'm strong enough to handle more strenuous activity.
 
Yes...its the PT. Don't be alarmed. There was many times after PT I would be up all night with pain:gaah:. Tell them no thanks your not doing that anymore. Really in the beginning it was always after the PT session. Do what feels good and dont do to many reps. She had me doing way over what I should have been doing. And on the days I wouldn't see her I did nothing. My pt was steps and walking around the house oh and the ankle pumps. I am sure you are fine. You are still early in the game. Don't over do...Sit and Ice...
 
Oh, thank you all. It makes me feel so much better. I was so sad. I have been icing it for awhile now and it actually feels a little better. :thankyou:
 
Oh my....that inclined driveway was just too much for your hip this soon. You have irritated the delicate soft tissue and it's screaming back at you. So....no more inclines for a while. Continue doing just what you're doing....take pain meds, rest and ice. It will get better. But you need to rest it and let the inflammation and swelling die down. If your therapist suggests that you need to "work through the pain," kindly decline and go back to resting it until you feel better.
 
@Jamie Thanks for your advice, Jamie. I will rest and ice. I was trying to be so careful to not do too much too soon. But, the incline did me in.
 
@Dmcfad2 . I agree with @Jamie . Inclines are much too hard on your healing hip this early in the game. I think I tried a fairly steep incline after maybe four weeks [I can't quite remember, but if anyone wants to know they can check out my thread] and after having walked for three miles straight more than once. I thought I'd mix it up and spontaneously I walked up the steep road to find out what it would be like. Once I was at the top I felt fine, but after a little bit more I noticed some slight pain and decided that was the signal to turn back. My hip definitely felt more tight later in the day and I spend the rest of the day on the couch with ice on my hip and I did that the next day as well to give it a chance to calm down. The day after that my hip felt great again. Give it rest. That's my advice:flwrysmile:.
Early on in my recovery, by the way, I used elbow crutches, not just a cane.
Now I am going to report my progress on my thread. I had fun yesterday.
 
Stick with the ice Debbie! It will go..inclines are the worst for quite a while post op...and your hip will certainly let you know. Take it easy..Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thank you, Chrissie. It feels a little better this morning. I kept ice on it all night and I plan on resting today as much as possible. I get my staples out this morning. Looking forward to that milestone!
 
That location was simply for access to put the femoral component in
"simply"? :snork:
The anterior incision on the other hand? The incision is nice but feels a bit lumpy underneath when I press on it. It's adhesions and my PT told me to massage that with cocoabutter/vitamin 2 cream
No it's not. You don't get adhesions in hips! You're just lumpy from the internal stitches is all. Besides which, read this Massage post THR.
I have a problem with a very tight IT band and she thinks I would benefit from further PT.
Oh not again! Why do these PT's always think that the answer to any ache or pain is MORE PT? It's quite the opposite.
Then, she wanted me to walk down my driveway. I did fine on the way out, but coming back, I noticed my hip in my upper side buttock area, kind of to the front and top of my incision. My husband took me out to dinner and I could barely lift my leg into the car. I am sitting here on an ice pack, hoping I haven't done something to set me back.
I would guess that this is all part and parcel of the IT band issue.


Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.


[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.




And I also I have some questions to ask you:

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
@Josephine The new pain is in the area of L1b-d and L1b-e, almost on the line between d and e. It is where the joint moves as you swing your leg backwards and forwards, if that makes sense. I feel it when I put weight on my hip, but not when I am at rest.

My pain level was about a 1-2 most of the time until yesterday, but this new one is more like a 4.
I am taking percocet 5/325. One pill every 4-5 hours, except at bedtime, when I take 2. I have also been prescribed norco 10/325, but it was not handling my pain, so I am only taking the percocet.

I ice my hip for about 45 minutes very hour. It makes it feel so good. I will say that my pain is better today after icing it all last night. But, it is still there.

I haven't really been elevating my leg. I recline on my couch with my legs straight out in front of me. I do still have a lot of swelling in my hip, thigh and knee.

Activity level- I make my coffee, breakfast and lunch, wash my dishes, make my bed, shower, personal hygiene. I did a load of wash yesterday and straightened my bathroom. Yesterday I went out to dinner. It was my first outing. I rest a lot, though. I take a nap every afternoon. I get up and walk a little every hour. I was using a walker until yesterday when I used my cane and this new problem started, so today I am back on my walker.

PT - twice a day I do...
ankle pumps, 10x
thigh squeeze, 10x
buttocks clenching, 10x
Heel slides (foot flat on bed, knee bent and slide toward buttocks)(this one is still difficult for me because my quads are so tight), 10x
leg slides(abduction,adduc), 10x
Lying kick, pillow under knee, 10x
And the PT just gave me this new one for IT band..sit on chair, foot flat on floor, slide backwards, hold, then return to start, 10x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom