THR Pain at Seven Months Post Op

Hi everyone, I’m still having stiffness and pain on weight bearing following my hip replacement so I’m trying out some of the exercises on YouTube for 4-6 weeks after surgery as well as those given to me at my physio session last week. One of the exercises was the clam where you lay on your non operated side, heels together and lift the operated leg up - I find this absolutely impossible, anyone else have problems doing this or is my hip very tight still.
 
If you are having trouble doing any particular exercise, especially if it’s causing pain, it’s best to stop trying to do it. A list of exercises this early in recovery is not essential.

Remember this from the Recovery Guidleines:

“BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.”

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You can always bookmark this thread so you can find it easily.

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @Jaceyduck
Clamshells aren’t recommended in early recovery, which is where you are currently at only one month post op. Clamshells are good for building core stability and strengthening the lower back, but they can do more harm than good while in early recovery. I’d consider skipping them.

I’ll leave an article that mentions a few others you may want to avoid -

Hope this helps…have a great week!
 
Not the easiest thing to do post THR. It's really a strange thing about the differences in our recoveries and I can say that my 2 hips were completely different in what I was able to do when it came to certain movements. With my left I didn't have log leg and could do 20 leg lifts the day after surgery. With my right I couldn't make my leg do much let alone lift it. Doing leg lifts, clams, bridges, side leg lifts and many of the other exercises really didn't do much to aid recovery and most just caused pain and setbacks. The other interesting thing was after pushing with my left and basically only walking for my right they have both recovered the same in the long run.
 
Hi everyone, just wondering what todo, I saw my surgeon last Friday (7weeks post op) I told him I still had pain when walking all the time and a limp and he checked me over but said my recovery was just taking a little longer and that he would see me in 2 months time, he said he would be surprised if I was still having pain then. That night I was walking down garden, tripped and fell flat out taking the brunt of my fall on my knees right knee which was my hip replacement leg,I panicked and went straight to A and E, they did an X-ray on me knee and it was fine and they also checked my movements on my hip and said they didn’t think I had caused it any problems however since then I am having even more pain when walking than before.
 
@Jaceyduck
I suspect your pain is caused by the bruising that happened when you fell, glad you went to the A and E to get your knee and hip checked out.
You might want to increase your time icing and elevating during the day

You are very early in this year long+ recovery, it will take some patience as you heal.
Everyone heals differently and at a different pace, don't compare yourself to anyone else, it will only frustrate you.

[Bonesmart.org] Pain  at Seven Months Post Op
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaceyduck

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Thanks Pumpkin, I just wish I could have an X-ray on my hip just to rule out any injury from the fall or anything from operation. I’ve only had one X-ray and that was just before leaving hospital after operation. Just can’t believe that I’ve still got this pain everyday still and that it’s worse after my fall. Hopefully by next week things will improve because the force of the fall on my knees must have hurt my hip, back etc.
 
force of the fall on my knees must have hurt my hip, back etc.
Falls jar everything. Soft tissues that are still tender from the surgery will be complaining. Your whole body will feel the impact of a fall.

Rest, ice and elevate. Take medication if needed to ease this discomfort.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary @Jaceyduck
We haven’t heard from you in a couple of months and I’m wondering how you’re doing since you last posted? I hope your pain has eased as you recovered from your fall and you’re enjoying some steady progress. Please leave an update as time allows, we’d love to hear from you.
Wishing you a happy, healthy holiday season!
 
Hi everyone I am looking for some advice. I had my right hip replaced about 7 months ago on 4/8/2021. I had a slow recovery and the pain when walking has never fully gone away but is better, than pre-op, however I saw my consultant about 6 weeks ago and explained I still had pain, but he said the hip replacement had been a success and it was just muscles recovering which could take 6-8 months. The last 4 weeks my pain is worse and not just when walking, but also resting my hip hurts all the time. I am back onto taking ibrofen and also naproxen sometimes for the pain, but it doesn’t help. I have left a message for my consultant, but I haven’t heard anything back from him yet. Any ideas what it could be? I can move my leg around lifting bending etc, but it’s the constant pain in my hip joint.
 
Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Hey there Jaceyduck,
I’m sorry you’re struggling with pain.
I know you realize this recovery can take a full year, even longer for some. I’m wondering about your activity level, whether you’re engaging in any PT or if you’re doing something out of the ordinary that could be contributing to the pain? Hopefully the meds are bringing you some relief. Don’t forget about icing also, if you’re not already. Have you purchased new shoes since your surgery? We do recommend that you don’t frequently wear shoes with your pre-op wear pattern while in recovery. Let us know a bit more about your activity level and we’ll try to advise.
 
I am sorry you are in pain and worrying so. Can you give us an idea of what you have been doing for activities and exercise?
I agree with @Layla about changing out shoes from before your surgery..even the smallest things can be stressful to the soft tissues that are trying to heal after surgery.
 
Hi yes I’ve changed my shoes and am in new sketchers at moment which are very comfortable on my feet. I walk as much as I can but it restricted with the pain in my hip but I have a dog who needs a regular walk. I don’t really do any physical exercise just stretching exercises to try and ease the hip pain. I’ve rang my consultants secretary today and she has put me in for another appointment with him next Wednesday even though he had discharged me so I’ll see what he says. I know that he said it may take up to a year to fully heal but the hip pain is getting worse and hurting even when sitting and in bed now, Thanks for your responses I’ll let you know what my consultant says next week.
 
I am sorry you are struggling with ongoing pain. Where your pain is and what specific activities aggravate it can sometimes narrow the possible causes. Sometimes it is just the soft tissues continuing to heal and adjusting to their normal activity without having to compensate for the joint pain anymore. This also includes all the other joints affected by our limping along and their associated muscles. For some of us, that takes longer than others. Orthopedic surgeons are willing to give you that time as long as everything else with the joint is looking okay before looking for something else. This can be frustrating when you are just wanting to get back on with your life but are still very much aware of your new hip.

If it is something else, it can take a while to sort through the possibilities. It will be up to you to be the "squeaky wheel" and let them know how you are progressing. If it is affecting your quality of life, then make your doctor aware of how much it is affecting it. Be specific about your pain: how bad is it, where is it, when does it hurt you, what you have done to help alleviate it, etc. Write it all down and take the list with you to your appointment. This is the time to be very honest and straightforward. Please do not hesitate to ask your consultant what options might be available to you at this point in time and moving forward. Just know going into your appointment that when dealing with soft tissue issues, the process can be slow moving. We certainly hope it is something as simple as just needing more time to heal. Blessings to you as you navigate this. We're here for you and are looking forward to your update.
 
Hi everyone, I’ve just returned home from seeing my consultant about ongoing pain in my hip from replacement 7 months ago. He took xrays of my hip and blood tests to rule out infection. The xrays have shown a problem with the cup of my hip and he said that once he rules out infection I might have to have the cup replaced as hip now sitting in it properly. I am devastated and wondered if anyone can explain what this means and also if I don’t get it replaced how will it affect me.

Thank you
 
Oh my stars... @Jaceyduck
I am sorry and understand that you are upset about getting the news that you need a revision.
It is good they ruled out an infection and though another surgery is certainly not "good news", Im glad you finally got answers to your ongoing pain.

Another member with a very similar story has been with us sharing his struggles...and now his recovery from revision to correct a malpositioned acetabular cup that was causing him alot of pain.

@golfer67 is now 6 weeks post op from his revision and sounds very good and confident that this is going to resolve the issues.
Maybe he will be along to share with you and I think he has a 6 week followup this week.
You can find his story here:
 
Hi thanks for your I’ve only just had blood tests taken this morning so I have to wait a few days to find out if I also have an infection.
 
Aww Jaceyduck, I’m so sorry you’re feeling overwhelmed.
Hopefully there is no infection, but if there is, please understand that many have successfully dealt with and triumphed over infection. If infection is ruled out, is it possible for you to get a second opinion on the possibility of the cup sitting improperly?
If it’s confirmed that a revision is needed to allow you to move forward without pain, it seems worth considering. Remember that we‘re here for you whenever you need support or some encouragement. :console2: Stay in touch.
@Jaceyduck
 
Just saw a splendid update from @golfer67 regarding his revision follow up appointment.
Hope bloodwork comes back all clear so you can more forward also.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom