THR Pain at Seven Months Post Op

Hello Jaceyduck,
Its good to hear you had a better evening and overnight. I hope by the time you’re reading this, you had a repeat last night.

I‘m sorry you’re struggling with pain. I don’t think you did any serious damage, but in the early weeks, if a certain position, or activity causes pain or discomfort, I’d suggest you stop the activity, or change your position. Hopefully with ice, rest and your meds, you’re feeling better already.
@Jaceyduck :console2:
 
I do hope you are icing alot!
This really was key for me for being more comfortable...especially the first weeks.
Great for swelling and pain relief.
Hope today is a better day.
 
Hi everyone I’m now 9 days post THR and feel like I’m no further forward. I had a terrible night again couldn’t get comfortable with pain at all and then this morning I’m so stiff and in pain I could only just make it to the toilet and then chair. Spoke to my own GP as I asked her if I could have a couple of volterol (difflofenic) suppositories which gave me a couple of hours relief when consultant gave me one earlier in week. I’m not able to walk much or do any exercises today due to the excruciating pain. I’m beginning to wonder if something has gone wrong with my operation as the majority of people on Bonesmart are doing so well especially at 9 days.
 
majority of people on Bonesmart are doing so well especially at 9 days.
My friend, 9 days out is very early! And no, the majority of BoneSmarties are not doing well at this point. This is major surgery and you simply much allow yourself time to heal.

Please stop doing any exercises until you get this pain managed.

And please ask your GP for an alternate pain medication. What you are taking is obviously not working for you.

Are you icing and elevating? Please nap during the day when you can.
 
As Jaycey said 9 days is very very early in recovery. You mention exercises and that might be part of the cause of your discomfort. When they take us apart to do the THR the muscles are strained and we need quite some time to heal before exercise does any good. We have all gone through the wondering if somethings gone terribly wrong with the implant, but it usually turns out to be soft tissue pain from over doing things and the only thing that fixes it is rest and ice.
 
I’m not able to walk much or do any exercises today due to the excruciating pain. I’m beginning to wonder if something has gone wrong with my operation as the majority of people on Bonesmart are doing so well especially at 9 days.

Hello @Jaceyduck
Your exercises could very well be the problem. Just in case you haven’t read through the Recovery Guidelines there is a great piece of advice toward the bottom called THE BIG TIP -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Also, I found the Activity Progression for THR helpful. It kept me comfortably mobile, without overdoing it. Check it out and try to follow it as a rough gauge. Try to move about as the article suggests to avoid stiffness. When you’re not moving, ice, ice, ice. It will help with pain and inflammation. At only 9 days post op, pain is common, you’re not alone. Right now it’s all about rest / sleep, icing / elevating, staying adequately hydrated and eating as healthy as possible. All will all slowly fall into place.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend.

 
Think I’ve overdone things today went for a walk with daughter and granddaughter in park and although it was only a short walk on my crutches my hip is not happy tonight. I’m still on tramadol 4 times daily along with 2 paracetamol and the doctor has given me 5.Volterol (diclofenic) suppositories. To be administered once every night. Ive taken two already and they are the only things that has eased my pain since coming out of hospital 13 days ago. Ive only got three more to take and then I’m hoping doctor will give more but it’s probably unlikely. I have t heard of anyone been given these suppositories for pain just wondered if any of you have had them and how they worked for you.
 
Jaceyduck, I’ve taken Diclofenac (Voltaren) for inflammation prior to surgery and it was a good medication. Not in suppository form, but 50 mg tablets. I’m thinking it‘s the same medication. I‘m interested that you are taking an NSAID medication after surgery. I am not allowed to take an NSAID until 28 days after surgery. The OS has me on 81 mg low dose aspirin for first 28 days for blood clotting prevention. I’m now 16 days post-op. I also have tramadol or hydrocodone to take and both work well but I only take 1 pill a day, usually only if the PT comes or at night.
I have found that too much activity one day makes the next day a very painful day where I end up sitting most of the day. So I have scaled back a lot and the in-home PT is measuring my walking and that’s all I do besides ADLs. I am unable to bear full weight on my surgery side and if I try to then I end up as you have, in a lot of pain. I actually went back to the walker instead of the cane and I am using both now. I know this is all temporary and healing is happening. I Hope that adding my experience helps you in some way as it appears we are in about the same place post-op.
 
Thanks Starmarie, we are at a similar stage in our recovery, yes I think that will be why the doctor would only prescribe 5 volterol suppositories for fear of me bleeding as I am also on aspirin for 28 days. I just wish I was walking better and my pain was under control better, although I’d been on bomesmart prior to surgery I still don’t think I was as prepared as I thought I was for the painful and what seems to be long recovery.never mind it’s done now so no going back! Thanks for your reply .
 
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I'm three weeks out and, I think, doing quite well. However, I do no PT or formal excercise at all! All I do is potter about the house and have short walks in the garden. The steps add up and I did 4000+ yesterday. I have found that if I sit too long my hip is painful for a few steps but eases up as I walk more. I'd suggest you try walking little but often for a few days and see how you get on. Good luck.
 
although I’d been on bomesmart prior to surgery I still don’t think I was as prepared as I thought I was for the painful and what seems to be long recovery

I‘m sorry you’re dealing with pain and discomfort, although it is not at all uncommon this early on. You’re only two weeks post op, today, into a recovery that can last a full year and even longer for some. Hopefully you’re using ice also as it’s great relief for pain and inflammation. Ice as often as you’re comfortable doing so, especially in these early days, always making sure to place fabric between bare skin and the ice source.

You’ve made it to two weeks post op already. :yay: Happy Two Week Anniversary!
I hope today is a good one for you! :)
 
Hi everyone thanks for all your comments and advice up to now. I’m now 17 days post op and walking with a crutch mainly inside the house but a couple of small walks outside now, Rougly about 20 mins maximum once or twice a day. I still have pain in my hip area especially when walking and couldn’t do without my crutch as the pain when weight bearing on my operated leg is too much without it. My query is I still can feel swelling under my scar and around the area, sometimes it feels like I’m siting on a balloon it just doesn’t feel right. The other question I have is before my surgery and since surgery my appetite has really reduced a lot, normally I would have
lost weight quite quickly and was convinced when I got on the scales that I would have lost at least 1/2 stone but I only seem to have lost a couple of pounds any ideas why I’m not losing weight. Thanks for your support.
 
Hi I’m now 5 weeks post surgery and still having pain continually when walking - I went to see my physio at the hospital who said this was normal for some people and asked me to try standing on my operated leg and fully weight bearing on it to strengthen it. This is very painful and this must be the cause of my hip pain when walking. Can I ask you if anyone else has had pain when weight bearing on operated leg still at 5 weeks post op and if so does it go away soon.

Thanks
 
I'd say it comes and goes. I overdid it a bit on Wednesday so cut back a bit since then. It's painful when I first stand up but as I walk about that recedes. I hope you find it a bit less painful soon.
 
asked me to try standing on my operated leg and fully weight bearing on it to strengthen it
I suggest you stop doing this. At 5 weeks out you should not be in training mode. Let that hip heal - there is plenty of time for strength training later.
 
Thanks for your advice but just wondered if anyone else has this pain on walking or should I start to worry even more than I am doing at moment.
 
Hi :wave:I am wondering if you have a post op appointment coming up soon so you’re able to talk with your surgeon.
I still have pain in my hip area especially when walking and couldn’t do without my crutch as the pain when weight bearing on my operated leg is too much without it.
Are you still taking meds? If not, you may consider OTC pain relievers for awhile longer.
My query is I still can feel swelling under my scar and around the area, sometimes it feels like I’m siting on a balloon it just doesn’t feel right
Swelling at this point is not abnormal. Are you icing and elevating per the direction in the Recovery Guidelines? If not, please consider it. Icing will help with pain and swelling. I experienced the same sensation you mentioned. For me it felt as though I was sitting on a small ball. It did slowly ease over time.

I hope you have a nice weekend. Happy One Month Anniversary!
 
Thanks Layla I’m going to try and stop worrying!
 
Thank you Layla, surgery was on the 29/07/21. Direct anterior hip replacment on right leg
 
Good afternoon!
I‘m sorry for derailing your thread above, we will get that cleared up soon, Jaceyduck. :)
After all, you’re the star here and it’s a special day. Happy One Month Anniversary!
I do hope you can stop worrying and if you need some reassurance from your surgeon to obtain peace of mind, please don’t hesitate, but know we’re here for you always.
Have a lovely day and weekend!
@Jaceyduck
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom