THR Pain at 5 months

I havent really felt good most of the day. Had some nausea with standing a couple times, a killer headache and flushed. No fever though. Did ok and therapy and vitals were fine. Is this anything to be concerned about or call my care team about?
 
I hope you are doing better by now! It's a major surgery.
Let us know
 
@Alabama girl57 For some reason your update got "lost in the shuffle." I'm so sorry!!!

Please let us know how you're doing. Did it resolve quickly or did you need to call your provider?
 
Yes.....slow and easy. I have a physical therapist, but she's more of an occupational therapist teaching about how to do things around like getting in and out of bed, chairs, how to walk heel to toe, how to use kitchen counters to get around so I can get food ready and things like that. None of this awful stretching and overdoing it like some people are reporting. I am getting better, 20 days out from surgery, without all that stretching and overdoing it. Just my input, but maybe that will help you to realize you don't need all that.
 
Update: 19 days out. Going for 1st check up today. I'm doing well. I still have that annoying burning pain and occasionally some aching. I'm no longer taking pain meds other than tylenol and gabapentin. I'm using the cane when I'm not feeling tired or weak then I use the walker so I'm safer. Overall I'm doing really well. We will see what the Dr says today at my appt.
 
I am almost 4 weeks post op. Walking occasionally without assistance of cane or walker. Still slight swelling in hip area behind incision. Not much pain in hip unless I over do it. I still have episodes of being quite fatigued so I rest alot and I am still icing and elevating for the swelling. Using cane and walker if I feel tired or weak. Not driving yet.
 
You're doing well!
It's good to read that you continue to ice and elevate for the swelling. Pain does occur when we overdo it.

You're not alone in experiencing the fatigue. Our energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Make your best effort to get adequate sleep and rest.

Have a great 4th, Alabama girl!
@Alabama girl57
 
Hi Alabama girl,
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a nice holiday weekend.
Enjoy the week and please stay in touch! :wave:
@Alabama girl57
 
Update: today is 1 month since my hip surgery. I have 2 more PT days left. I'm walking most of the time without assistance. If I'm tired or feel weak I will use the cane. I still ice and elevate due to some stiffness, some. Swelling and still some machines and burning. It's sporadic. I have to pace myself and rest often. When we're most of you able to start bending at the waist? Where were most of you at 1 month? I know it's a personal experience..
 
I'll be 1 month this coming Friday.

Physically I'm pretty much in the same place as where I was with the first THR at this point in the process. That's a meaningful comparison, as is progress from one day to the next. Comparing myself with others, not so much.

Emotionally the first THR was a breeze. Because I went into it so crippled, in so much pain for so long, recovery was 100 parts awe inspired gratitude and 0 parts expectation. From day 1, at 1 month, and far longer I was so high on my new life! All totally unexpected.This time it's more like 50-50, so despite making a similar recovery, I'm not as happy.

Interesting the way that works don't you think @Alabama girl57 ?

I do still try to keep the gratitude for what I have been given on full throttle and take any disappointments along the way as gracefully as I can but it's nowhere as easy to do this despite knowing firsthand from personal experience what is possible!
 
Recovery varies from person to person for many reasons. Age, pre existing medical conditions, mental outlook, support from others and help at home,
what condition you were in going into surgery, to name a few.

It sounds like you’re doing pretty well for one month post op. Energy drain or fatigue still occurs for many at this point, as does swelling and stiffness, usually in relation to over activity, or lack of mobility. Keep up the icing and elevating and it’s wise to use an assistive device if you’re feeling tired.

Stay in touch, we love updates. Have a great week!
@Alabama girl57
 
Today is a bad day. Depression has hit me out of nowhere!! I'm close to tears. I'm sleeping well, but not taking any meds other than tylenol and it's not helping much for the aching and stiffness. I'm walking around the house frequently, icing and elevating. I know its still very early in recovery, are my expectations just too high? 2 days ago, I had hardly any pain at all, today it's like a horrible toothache in my leg from top of hip to knee into groin. Much similar to before surgery. Also the groin on left hip is start to hurt.
 
If I overdo it I end up in the ODIC over did it club. I am off meds but when this happens I take Ibuprofen for it, elevate, and ice. I know my emotions are ramped up from surgery and not being able to do everything I want to do. Hang in there and practice self care- find something to binge watch today, eat something yummy, and tomorrow should be better. Your body may just need a day off today.
 
Today is a bad day. Depression has hit me out of nowhere!! I'm close to tears.
So sorry to read that you are having a bout of post-op blues. Know that it IS normal at this stage of recovery. You might want to re-read this article: Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

not taking any meds other than tylenol and it's not helping much for the aching and stiffness.
Are you taking a high enough dose often enough to provide pain relief? I discovered that I wasn't taking enough and once I got into the right routine, my pain improved.

You can take 2 extra strength tables (500 mg each) every six hours (4 times a day) -- as long as none of your other medications contain acetaminophen. It's important not to exceed 4000 mgs/day. Also, it's important to stay ahead of the pain by taking them on a regular schedule or you'll be chasing the pain, playing catch-up.

I know its still very early in recovery, are my expectations just too high? 2 days ago, I had hardly any pain at all, today it's like a horrible toothache in my leg from top of hip to knee into groin.
This recovery is a real roller-coaster ride. We've all gone through the up and down, good day/bad day experience. You're right: at one month out, you are still early days. It does get better ... it just takes time.
 
Yes....some days you feel like you will never get there, and then other days you look and see that you have already come far from surgery day. Hang in there!
 
Depression is quite normal during recovery, I know I experienced crying jags here & there.
Hang in there, it gets better.
 
I know its still very early in recovery, are my expectations just too high?
I am sorry you’re struggling.
As you’ve read from others, Post Op Blues is common. Thankfully only temporary and I found it could come in waves and disappear almost as quickly as it came.

Hang in there, It Will Get Better!
Check this out -
[Bonesmart.org] Pain at 5 months
 
If you read many threads here you will notice we all seem to recover well for a while and then get discouraged and down, then make progress again. Try going outdoors, treating yourself to an online movie, order delivery food, call a friend, binge on Netflix, polish your fingernails, whatever. Just do something different to boost your spirits and know that everyone here is cheering for you.
 
I am 6 weeks and 2days out from my surgery. My progress is going well I think, I'm just wondering if any of you are experiencing this. I still have alot of stiffness and aching, my groin aches like before surgery occasionally and even the left side aches occasionally too. Is this normal? How long will this stiffness last. I'm walking and doing the exercises I was given in PT. I have my 7 week check up with the Dr on Thursday
 
Back
Top Bottom