THR Pain at 5 months

Finished a round of steroids that reduced the swelling, but now a few days after finishing meds, swelling is back worse than ever.
Although many of us continue to have some swelling for months, generally not after being prescribed a regimen of steroids to reduce it. I encourge you to contact your surgeon and see what he/she recommends.

Also, please notice that I've merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. We ask members to maintain just one recovery thread for continuity. This way all your information is in one place, making it easy for you to find and serving as a diary of your recovery. Having all your information is all in one place enables our staff and other members to advise you better.

So, please post any updates, questions or concerns here. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You may want to bookmark your thread to make it easier to find.

For more on how to navigate the forum, you can read through this article:
How can I find my threads and posts?
 
I’m 3 month after surgery and I also still have a swelling that just won’t go away. My swelling is at the lower side of my scar and quit a big area around it. My ktibjem is that I feel pain when I sit down for a longer time because of the pressure.

I went to see my orthopedic because I just couldn’t believe that the swelling persists because I’m icing a lot and it doesn’t help at all.. He told me that it is like that sometimes and that it can take as long as one year before the body has absorbed the swelling :whistle: Hallelujah :arrow:

In the last days my swelling seems to be more flat in the morning, when I just get out of bed, but as soon as I move around it comes back :groan:

So I think we have to give it more time, but it is really depressing, I know.. :console2:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Alabama girl!

How are you doing theses days? Is the swelling going down? Let us know when you have a minute.
My OS once mentioned that swelling can last a full year, usually slowly easing over time.

It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

BoneSmart FA, CricketHip, is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has shared this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain - you may want to give it a try and tag her if you have any questions.

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

I read this also recently - After a sports injury or surgery, lymph vessels can become overwhelmed with the demand placed on them. When tissues are swollen, deep tissue techniques may actually cause damage to the lymph vessels and surrounding structures. Lymphatic massage is often the treatment of choice, because it helps the body remove proteins and waste products from the affected area and reduce the swelling. This helps reduce pressure on cells and allows them to reproduce faster to heal the body.

Hope this info may help!
@Alabama girl57
 
I will be 5 months out on my RTHR. It was June 7th. I'm quite discouraged. I still have groin pain if I'm very active, lateral hip and knee pain. Still significant swelling in hip region and my incision often feels like it's on fire. Now my Lt knee is giving me fits. Anyone else had these issues at this stage of recovery?
 
It's not unusual & other body parts to hurt during recovery. 5 months is not a long time, I was still using a cane at 4 months. However, if you are very concerned get in touch with your doctor's office.
 
Swelling and pain at five months can be a clear signal from the still healing hip that you need to cut back on activity. I suggest you allow it more rest periods and resume icing several times daily, and put a call in to your ortho team.

If your overall weight bearing structure is still adapting to your new hip, which is quite likely at five months, it's not unusual to have knee pain on the non-op side that's been doing more work all along during worsening arthritis and then your ongoing recovery. Your ortho team may decide to do x-rays to check that the added strain hasn't led to worsening osteoarthritis in the L knee.
 
Hello Alabama girl,
I am sorry you're hurting. This is a year long recovery for most and you're only five months in. You mentioned you still have groin pain IF you're very active. I am wondering if you'll clarify what you mean by "very active?" I ask because your activity level, any exercises or PT you may be engaging in, might be the problem. Swelling can last up to a full year, normally easing over time. Are you icing and elevating for pain and swelling on a normal basis? If not, try dedicating some time to doing so. At least 45 minutes a few times a day and see if you notice a difference.
If it doesn't help, you can always contact your OS's care team and see what they advise.

Your left knee is likely bothering you due to the favoring you're doing as you struggle with discomfort.
Try rest, icing and elevation and step away from any exercises or PT for a time and see if you notice a difference.
Good Luck! Keep us posted.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
@Alabama girl57
 
Update:: my surgery was June 7 2024, a RTHR. I've had lots of issues with swelling and pain on lateral side of hip as well as pain radiating to my rt lateral knee. Lots of hip flexor pain. The Dr tried injections in the hip joint , I've had xrays, mri's, It's, and 2 steroid injections into the Psoas tendon
Nothing has helped. Next step is a tendon release. Had anyone had this done? What is recovery experience, time and the outcomes. Thank you!
 
Hello Alabamagirl,
I am sorry for your ongoing struggles. There have been many members that experienced a psoas tendon release. To read their stories, use the SEARCH at the top right of the page, typing in key words such as "psoas release"or
"psoas tendon release" and all threads where it's been mentioned will pop up.
Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.
@Alabama girl57
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom