Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain after 2 years

I have found keeping my knee warm, and using Kinesio tape helps with the weather pain.
 
I'm 6 months out and haven't been happy with the weather either. I'm a real estate appraiser and work outdoors for half an hour to an hour at a time. The good news is as I've gone along the knee hurts much less indoors in spite of cold outside weather. The bad thing is it definitely affects the knee to be out in frigid temperatures. Dressing warm helps some but I'm stiff and have reduced range of motion in below zero weather. I'm hoping this will be better next winter. But maybe something for newer people to look forward to_ I'm much more comfortable indoors during cold weather than I was a couple of months ago.
 
I have a farm.. and getting out in the cold air in the morning is definitely NOT fun!! I usually walk like the Bride of Frankenstein for about 10 minutes, until the knee limbers up. I’ve found that a compression athletic brace helps with some of the pain, especially if I’m going to be doing a lot of walking, so maybe you could try it? I can’t wait until spring!
 
I’ve had some really good knee days lately. The new knee is gaining in flexibility and strength, then bam!! A massive storm front containing 4 days straight of heavy rain shut all of the progress down! Now, I’m back to a stiff, swollen knee! Will this ever end, or am I doomed to the whims of Mother Nature forever?
 
@G.i.jane, yesterday when I went to PT, I told my therapist that I was really stiff and swollen. She said I was her third knee patient to come in with the same comments. We had rain in the forecast and the pressure was changing. Not fun at all. Better today.
 
And...same here! lol. I too find using my elastic knee sleeves help when I’m going to ride or do barn chores.
 
Last edited:
The weather still bothers my knees but I’ve found it is getting a bit better as time goes by. I’m almost one year out from one knee and two years out on the other.
 
Good news! The rainy weather last week bothered my natural sore knee, but my TKR was just fine! Time will help for sure.
 
My knee bothered me really badly yesterday all day and all I could think was, there’s a revision in my future because this just can’t be right, and then last night I thought, duh, it’s been raining for days, that’s probably all it is. :doh:
It’s better today. No rain today and I think we’re supposed to see sun tomorrow! :happydance:
 
My old knee and broken right foot and ankle hurt with the changing weather. But, my new knee didn't say a word about it! Yours will out grow it, too!
 
And...same here! lol. I too find using my elastic knee sleeves help when I’m going to ride or do barn chores.

I love my elastic knee sleeves! I also ride in mine and wear them to work. I still have to use a small stepstool to get on my horse, but at least I can ride! Being grounded for 3 months was the worst time!
 
ha! I probably use more than a step stool. There is a patio by our barn and I use it. I'm thinking I would need to flip the mounting block on the tall side in order to use one. :) Strength is improving all of the time especially since I am really focused on trying to make it my dominant knee! PS: My sleeves are Tommie Copper and I received an email on the 2 of those plus a thumb sleeve I had bought - $10 x 3 = $30 on a class action suit I'll be getting! :) It had something to do with them advertising the sleeves "improving" conditions. :)
 
I’m glad my horse is only 14.3.. otherwise I’d be in trouble! He’s also 21, and finally getting mellow enough to be a trustworthy mount for my new knee.
 
Older mellow pets are great! Not sure I’d call a horse a pet, but I didn’t know what else to call him! We had quite the cat that mellowed nicely into her old age!
 
Older mellow pets are great! Not sure I’d call a horse a pet, but I didn’t know what else to call him! We had quite the cat that mellowed nicely into her old age!

I had to give my “ younger” (he’s 17) horse a coming-to-jesus meeting Saturday. He completely forgot his manners, but a 20 minute session in the roundpen quickly reminded him. I discovered that I could actually run backwards on the “new” knee when schooling a horse!
 
Older mellow pets are great! Not sure I’d call a horse a pet, but I didn’t know what else to call him! We had quite the cat that mellowed nicely into her old age!

Got a very good report today from my orthopedic surgeon. He said that I don’t need a yearly follow up, and that I’m doing fantastic! Whoop... whoop!
 
That’s great your knee held up so well!

My daughter used to be a riding instructor and said the horses could be toddlers at times. She put a weight number in that statement but I can’t remember it. She worked all aspects of the barn. That was after college after minoring in equine studies. She was not able to continue with that job, she got married and moved away.

Now, her 8 year old daughter is getting some riding lessons. The rest of us in the family are laughing that she’s paying for what she used to do. My granddaughter is thrilled!
 
Got a very good report today from my orthopedic surgeon. He said that I don’t need a yearly follow up, and that I’m doing fantastic! Whoop... whoop!
That’s awesome!!!

What did he say about the cold affecting you?
 
Back
Top Bottom