TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

After a good sleep, a shower and (excuse me!) a bowel movement you'll feel like a new woman!
 
Still having little naps at 10 weeks !Don’t resist it’s bliss!:sleep:
 
It's 6 days post op now. 4.15 am. Pain level right at this moment is an 8 or probably more a 9. Just taken some oral morphine and waiting for it to kick in. Just having a right bubble to myself because of the pain but also because of being such a wimp in letting it get to me like this.
 
Me too. I hope you're safely sound asleep right now.
 
If this had happened with the first one I sure as hell wouldn't have had the second one done . I maybe had no tears before the operation but I have had a lot more since. Sitting here crying my eyes out with the pain which is now radiating from thigh right through leg down the calf to the very swollen foot. Am really feeling sorry for myself. Hubby has a job on today that he can't get out of doing and needs to leave shortly and won't be back to about 3pm if he gets it done quickly. Not fussed him not being in to tell the truth as I'm so much pain I don't want to see anyone. I can sit and cry on my own.

Because I didn't have it so bad last time someone tell me this doesn't last please.
 
No it doesn’t last . Think that those first two weeks are hellish ,especially the nights.Mine was worst the first time round and I haven’t forgotten how awful it was but it gradually eased. Think the lack of sleep doesn’t help so hope you can fit some more naps in when you’ve taken the pain killers.
:console2:
 
:console2::console2::console2:
Hugs and prayers that you will soon get relief.

Have you called your doctor to tell him your medication is not helping much?
 
@Jockette Yes I have but she says she can't give me anything else but has given me more of what I have. It was due to run out on Friday so she gave me enough for another week.

I asked if I could take the oral morphine more frequently than every 6 hours as I got it hourly in hospital but she said no because they could at least monitor it in hospital. I did take it after 4½ hrs through the night as couldn't bear the pain any longer. I will see how the rest of today goes and how I get on through the night and if I am reduced to tears again I will go see the doctor.

I am sitting elevating and icing just now.
 
Seriously, this too shall pass. Can you take paracetamol as well? That might just help a bit.
 
I'm tagging @Josephine to see if she can help you with pain management.

This stage does pass. I'm just sorry to hear your pain is so bad. :sorry: Are you icing? I found ice was a help. And is there a way to cut down on your trips on the stairs? Very early in recovery, as you are now, stairs are a lot of stress on the new joint. Even a handful of fewer trips could really help.
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
I made it through last night with only needing one dose of the oral morphine at 2.30am. Even managed a decent sleep. Unfortunately from the minute I got up this morning the pain struck again. Leg is so stiff and swollen.

Foot is black and blue and so podgy. I can barely get my slipper on. Taken all my pain relief as I can't suffer pain like this. I also feel a bit sick today. Don't feel great at all. Forced myself to eat some toast as I don't like taking meds on an empty stomach.
 
Yes. It's important not to take meds on an empty stomach. I used to have yoghurt before mine. One of the reasons I refused morphine last time was that, apart from the horrible confused feeling it gave me, it made me very sick. I know you're in a lot of pain right now though. Could your doctor suggest another form of pain relief? These drugs work in different ways and maybe combinations could help. Could @Josephine suggest anything?
Don't panic. You really WONT always feel like this.
 
I know it will pass. I just don't deal with pain very well. Something hubby didn't understand as he has a high pain threshold.

I am now at the week post op and true to form hubby now saying 'just man up and get on with it, it's only an operation and you are a week past it now'. I guess nothing has changed since the last operation then. Won't say anymore as those that were with me during last op know where I am coming from. Wonder if a daughter can put me up for a few weeks... Lol.

Now the icing on the cake will be my boss phoning me which is bound to happen in the next day or two knowing her.

I am going to keep taking pain relief for as long as I can get it. Some people I have been talking to say I should be reducing how much I take and surely I won't be needing it now. To those people please go and have a knee replacement and then come and tell me I don't need pain relief after a week. Also to the same people who told me I should be able to do most things by myself now the same goes. I have directed them to this site. Maybe if they read some of the posts they may be less ignorant about things.

Don't you just hate know it alls that have never been in the situation they are trying to talk to you about and tell you what to do. I want to scream at them and tell them if I could I would as I don't want to be in this pain or this position.

Sorry.... I am in a bad mood today. Maybe I shouldn't post when like this.
 
No. Fair enough. When people used to say daft things to me I used to say, 'thank you but I'll take your advice after you've had a TKR and not until then!'
Blimey though, I thought your husband would have 'got it' by now! You have my sympathy. I was very lucky with mine.
 
Other people’s opinions and advice were the biggest shock of my recovery! Come here to vent any time, we all understand. :console2:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom