Packing and Fretting - Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a whole forum of "how to's" for you on navigating the forum. You can reference it anytime via the Help & Info tab at the top of the page.

As Celle said, when you're in th pre-op forum, start as many topical threads as you like. Post op we like you to keep your updates and questions in a single thread to create a story of your recovery in a single place.

Welcome!!!
 
@TexasTee, the if you search Chaz Rough Yoga for Knees you'll find what I've been doing - I'm pretty sure tree pose isn't gonna happen anytime soon!! LOL! But now can you? The other burning question for me is, I hear all the time "you won't be able to do any more than you did before the surgery:" Unless I'm particularly swelling up, I can do still do child's pose ( but warrior KILLS with even only the slightest swelling) -- will I be able to achieve THAT kind of flexion ever again? Just want to be mentally prepared, but also want to achieve the very most possible. I guess it is different with everyone...just wondering if you know of anyone who gets back within 5° of where they were before.....

Sign me,
Overly Optimistic

Thanks!
Debbie
 
@DebStew mmmm I don't think you will be able to do childs pose for a bit.... kneeling is a bit of a no no as I understand...check with your OS about any movement restrictions with a new knee - then go for it:yes!:. Cheers Maggie x
 
Thanks, @Maggie94 -- is that forever? I know we can eventually kneel, but child's pose is a whole other animal! How are YOU this day? Where are you now? 5 weeks?
 
Deb, child's pose will probably take some time--like maybe as much as a year, just because it's not just the flexion, it's the internal healing that takes time. Some surgeons forbid running and kneeling. Mine only forbids running. My surgeon says kneeling is fine as long as it doesn't bother me--his experience is that some TKRs can do it, and some can't. I accidentally knelt on my left knee one day about three weeks ago, and it was not yet completely comfortable, but not bad, and I can see that I will eventually be able to do it. I don't know about child's pose--I'll wait and see. You may be able to do it just fine.

What I can tell you is that the warriors will be fine, and you will feel so powerful in it with those powerful new knees. :) One of the reasons people have knee surgeries here is to continue skiing later in life, and that's the same kind of thing--power, baby.
 
Barbara ~

You sound like just the kind of woman I want to be! Thanks so much for the encouragement. I hope it's ok to keep in touch with you -- I'm looking for the kind of mindset you have. I am doing this to keep super active and to get back as much as possible! I can totally see how one could "accidentally" do something - it's gonna be quite the adjustment for awhile.

What's all this talk I read about getting recliners and such? Will I not be able to sit on my couch?

Getting nervous...starting to think about getting stuff together, like clothes and such!
 
Of course we can stay in touch! That's why we're all here.

Recliners. I never had one before TKR #1, but by three weeks out, I wanted one. The couch is fine, and I have a great chair that I love, but there's something about the ease of a recliner, the softness for sleeping, the way it helps elevate, that makes it very, very comfortable. It sure made this recovery a lot better and I have to admit I am now in love with this chair.
 
Hi Debbie - I'll give it a go this weekend and report back, I just got out of PT so I'm in my recliner, iced and elevated! Do you need a recliner, no, probably not. I did as I have one medium Australian Shepherd (70lbs) and one giant English Mastiff (170lbs) Both of who love to sit with and or on Mom when she is on the couch. Some find that couches are too low to get on and off of but I did not have that as an issue. I do love how supportive the recliner is for my legs and how easy it is to elevate, get sleepy, push a button and it's nap time!

I am not one to advise about child's pose, yet, at least - I couldn't do it "right" for about the last year. I asked my surgeon how far he was able to manipulate my knee to bend after he put the partial in and he said it bent all the way to touch my rear so it is possible for me, and since it's possible, I plan to do it! When, is another question entirely. I am no where near that level of bend yet but I was doing warrior yesterday so that's completely doable.

I have been doing cat/cow type poses and in the position with my knee on the floor but not putting any weight on it just yet, just warming up to the idea! It doesn't hurt but it does feel weird.
 
A couch is OK, but some people find it is too low to get up from early in recovery.

You might find these articles helpful:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery


One of my knee replacements is over 3 years old and the other is 5 months old. I can kneel on both of them, but it does feel strange.

I started by kneeling on a soft surface, like the bed, or a cushion, and gradually worked up to kneeling on the carpet. I still find hard surfaces difficult.
 
@DebStew my pt told me yesterday that she could get me to whatever rom I wanted to with work. Just for the challenge I am starting next week. You will be able to kneel again but hard surfaces will be tough I agree. You cannot hurt the implant it's everything around it that is healing and takes time. The implant is just metal in your leg.

Vinny
 
@DebStew Hi Debbie - I got a recliner because my lounge is low(ish). As a Rule of thumb back up to your lounge and note where the set bit hits the back of your knees. If it hits right in the back of the knees it will probably be OK is the seating is firm (soft seating that you sink into is harder to get up from). If the seating hits the back of your calf then it is probably too low; you will need more than a 90 degree flex to get on and off.

I bought a recliner and called it Betty (name of the 85yo I bought it from on ebay). I chocked Betty up about 3" with old books so it was well and truly easily at my knee bend. She is being Passed Forward to the golfing buddy who is having er surgery on the same day as you. I found that a couple of days after coming home I could get on my lounge so have not used Betty much at all once I was out of hospital.

Nesting and preparing is good - have a read of my pre op thread - name is sig block - Cheers Maggie x
 
Welcome, neighbor- I live in Arlington! I had a recliner from my RTHR and lived in it after my BTKR. My sofa is low and it was really difficult to get up from it. I still use the recliner, as it feels good to have my legs up.

I'm about 23 weeks out from surgery. At 16 weeks I was finally starting to feel like a normal person again. It's just been the last few weeks that I've felt my energy level rising. I'm a nurse and I could not have gone back to work at 3 months, but I've read posts of a few who have, although their jobs were not as active as yours. Anything is possible, though!

Sorry, no advice about yoga. My OS only restricted me from high impact (running, jumping) activites and said I could kneel whenever it was comfortable. I had more restrictions after my hip surgery than knee surgery. The last few weeks I've been able to kneel lightly to get up from the floor.

This is a great place to hang out. Good luck!
 
Sorry- meant to address the pedaling machine. If you mean one of the little ones that sits on the floor with tension control, I have one. I think it was good for a warm up, but it definitely is not as good as the recumbent bike I used at PT.
 
@PuppyLove , hey neighbor! Thanks, I won't bother with that pedaler thingie, then. Just trying to get my ducks in a row, though it's hard to get out and shop at present - is this weather nuts, or what? Had to resked my preop testing last Wed, and almost did it for Friday (today), but at last minute told her I'd wait until Monday - whew!
Who did your BTKR?
 
@Maggie94, not sure what happened to the epistle reply I just thought I posted to you, but I'll try to consolidate this time - heh. THANKS SO MUCH for info I can really sink my.....er....knees into! Have now backed up to all seating, and think the sofa could work. A friend who had a lateral release bought a cheapie bean bag chair for elevation - sounds smart to me - no roll factor! You make me laugh, naming your knees and the recliner and who knows what else? LOLOL.
 
Dr. Gurpreet Bajaj performed both of my surgeries at THR Harris Methodist FW. I think he's great and I love, love, love his PA Adam Bruntz. I had great experiences at Harris on their orthopedic floor.

I've lived in snowy areas and what scares me here are the crazy drivers who don't know what they're doing and insist on driving anyway. I kind of enjoy staying home!
 
@DebStew - That Chaz is a chatty fellow! Yes, you should be able to do this routine...again, I just had one done but I don't see anything that would make it different for two vrs one knee done.

I obviously didn't do the child's pose or the rear between the knees pose - for those I subbed in "happy baby" and I modified Tree to be done against the calf rather than the thigh but all else was fine as is.
 
Thanks, @TexasTee! I was just wondering if you thought they'd be helpful and useful for recovery. Yes, he kinda makes me nuts, doing it over and over again.."...bluh, if I can get the words out...." LOL
 
I suppose it depends on how challenging it is for you now - for me it would not be helpful, it was a nice stretch but it was not working the quads much at all. AND he would drive me batty :) His chatter and pace are not for me!
 
@TexasTee ,I hear ya. It was the best thing I could find to loosen up my knees a few months back, when that was still possible. DANG I'm ready for them to be fixed! Do you have a routine you like, or are you just so advanced you go with what feels good at the time? Oh, and hey, my friends have the perfect recliner, and they're gonna loan it to me! HAPPY! Starting to make a pile of clothes to take to the rehab place...hoping they'll be fine... Thanks for all the advice and responses!

So, how YOU doin'?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom