Guest viewing is limited

Packing and Fretting - Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Debbie - I did Bikram yoga for years but switched a little over 2 years ago to a Bikram knock off. I don't know if you are familiar with Bikram but it's a set series of poses, all done twice in a 105 degree room with high humidity - the theory is that the heat helps your joints to be more responsive. I really do love it but it's a 90 minute class and you are a hot mess after so the whole thing is a minimum 2 to 2.5 hour commitment. The knock off version is only 100 degrees and 60 minutes, much more doable for real life. Said all that to say this - I have just been working to get back to some version of the 26 set poses - that's why his set wouldn't be helpful to me. I think any yoga that incorporated sun salutations and balancing poses would be great.
 
When I was in San Antonio last summer to water the yard (we have a house there), I took a gentle yoga class (which took into account my bad knees and other people's recalcitrant parts). I'm not sure if this summer will be too soon to return to the class or not -- I'll be playing that by ear. I'm confident the instructor would be able to help with limitations. Too bad I haven't been able to find something similar in Central Texas. Maybe a couple of sessions later in the summer will be feasible.
 
Well, 7 days before the twins arrive! @Maggie94, I have names, though I will have to see which is which after the surgery -- Kneedle Dum and Kneedle Dee!!! Having trouble sleeping, worrying about details to take care of before I leave home for 2 weeks, and just trying to wrap my mind around the big changes coming my way. Getting a walker and a potty chair was quite the moment. But, I found a Polar Cube ice machine on eBay for $30! Any other last minute tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated from all comers!!!
 
Names. I'll have to think about that for mine. So excited for you. I have the equivalent of the Polar Cube that my dad used, so I'm looking forward to that. Still wondering if I need a walker, but we're going to an estate sale tomorrow in search of a few items like that. If things are the right price, we'll pick them up. Looking forward to seeing you on the other side in a few weeks!
 
Deb one thing that helped me and @Maggie94 and others was my Donjoy Dura-kold arthro wrap that I ordered on amazon....I found that it was colder for me than my cooler wrap...it stays ice cold for an hour pop it in the freezer...I also used a shower chair that had arm rests that was terrific for sitting in the hot shower . right around the corner for Kneedle Dee and Kneedle Dum to join Laverne and Shirley and Lenny and Squiggy.....you will do great and love these knees..


Vinny
 
hey Debbie and @vinny with all these kneesettes looks like we need a knids klub.... great names Debbie - a little levity does wonders for the spirit:yahoo:

Just on preps... I don't if I mentioned before but I also chocked up my bed so that the top of the mattress (latex) was the same height as my recliner - fitted behind the knees - just made getting in and out easier.

You remind me of me - all prepped and ready to go all that is left is the waiting game - cheers Maggie x
 
Oh gosh, all....getting so nervous -bought stuff for the rehab in the brightest colors I could find - question: are your legs swollen all the way to the hip? I bought the sweat-shorts slightly loose but not super loose...now hoping I'll be able to get them on. And what about shoes - are your feet swollen beyond recognition to the point that you possibly need a bigger size?
 
Also, @vinny and @Maggie94 , I thought I did good getting a polar cube on ebay for $30 - about to buy the pads and v connector - was it not helpful at all, or is it just personal preference?
 
just a personal preference for me Debbie....I thought the wrap was colder....

Vinny
 
Glad to see DEBSTEW on here, I don't have any idea how to PM someone, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had issues! I only have one more day to worry and then Monday (I have an hours drive to the hospital and have to be there at 5:15 a.m. Hope they let me have goood drugs and let me sleep that 1st day but I don't think that's going to happen. I wouldn't have made it this far without this site. Deep gratitude to y'all!
 
Hi Debbie - I think it comes down to personal prefs... I prefer the gel pacs.

Re shorts for hospital & rehab I used fairly loose legged ones that were above me knee - having anything touch the incision was a bit yukky (still not the best feeling nearly 6 weeks out- just sensitive I think). On shoes yes my feet did swell a bit, so a pair of Adidas slip-on boatie type shoes 1/2 size bigger than normal was great. I already had these cause I miss-read the size in my shopping frenzy at the outlet stores megga centre in Honolulu LOL. You are right up there in the preparation scale - good on you - cheers Maggie
 
I think it really varies - I LOVE my polar cube and couldn't imagine the first few weeks without it...I found the gel packs too cold, at first. As far as swelling that varies, also - I had very little swelling and all in the knee area only but my surgeon lives by ice, I was plugging into the ice machine around the clock while in the hospital. No swelling in my feet at all - my half size too big shoes were to big for safety so I just walked around in the slipper socks.
 
Debbie my swelling was mid thigh but went down pretty quick with ice. Baggy shorts or sweats are fine.

Vinny
 
@DebStew ..sounds like you are all ready to go! I nested myself, I am now 18 days into my recovery and am SO thankful that I found this site! It has helped me tremendously! Hang in there and keep on smiling! You WILL get thru this wonderful roller coaster ride and the end result will be worth the work! I wasn't prepared for the emotional part of this journey, that is really the only thing that took me by surprise..but was glad to find out that it is just part of the "norm"...Your name for your knees are super cute! My new right knee is named Groot! I will continue to follow you...good luck and congrats!
 
And what about shoes - are your feet swollen beyond recognition to the point that you possibly need a bigger size?
Just wear a nice pair of comfortable slippers. You will not be needing shoes for a while.

I just wore a nice, loose pair of sweat pants about everyday. Easy to get on. As for icing, I used these:
[Bonesmart.org] Packing and Fretting - Questions!
12"X18" and really nice and cold. I still use them when I have strains and bruises.
 
Still wondering if I need a walker
Call your OS---ask what his post-op protocol is and what you will be using. I used a walker after my BTKR for several weeks. Then crutches---then briefly to a cane.

The folks at the OS can help you and tell you what insurance will provide for you.
 
Well, 7 days before the twins arrive! @Maggie94, I have names, though I will have to see which is which after the surgery -- Kneedle Dum and Kneedle Dee!!! Having trouble sleeping, worrying about details to take care of before I leave home for 2 weeks, and just trying to wrap my mind around the big changes coming my way. Getting a walker and a potty chair was quite the moment. But, I found a Polar Cube ice machine on eBay for $30! Any other last minute tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated from all comers!!!
Love the names. Named my first kidney stone Blarney, and will name the second one (when removed) Sharon. Haven't found a knee name yet, but have some time. Surgery date not set yet. Since I'm a tennis player, will likely come up with something like Rafa Kneedal. Hope you're doing well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom