Guest viewing is limited

Overweight and in desperate need of TRHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had both of my hips replaced last year and I'm doing ok. I was over 350 pounds when I had them done. I had the anterior approach. The recovery was ok. I am now getting my weight down for I need both knees replaced and like you I'm fairly to young for this. I'm only 46 years old but trust me we will get through this. We are to young to miss out on life because of our pain. I pray all goes well with you in Jesus name. Amen
 
Hi Juneanng! So nice to meet you. This forum has been a godsend being able to talk to others who understand the life of chronic hip pain.

I am so happy to hear about your weight loss progress and I can only say I wish it was going that well for me. I had lost about 10 pounds, but, can you believe I have gained it all back? I am so depressed right now about my weight issue that instead of losing, I am gaining.
My son graduated from high school this past Tuesday and the venue was a very popular outdoor place, I was so worried because I was trying to figure out how far I had to walk to get to my seat. And of course, the walk ( up a hill) was excruciating. By the time I got to my seat, I was in so much pain. I wanted to turn around and go back to my car, but, I had to push on because it was my son's graduation and I would die before I missed it,

I will be 50 next year and I want to have a party; I made a promise to myself that would dancing pain free with my new hip before April.

I am going to try and get motivated; you have given me some hope to start again.

Pray for me.....

Thanks for your wonderful post and I wish you much success on your upcoming THR.
 
@1_HIP_I_wonder

You are definitely in my prayers. Have faith and take it one day at a time! I know the frustration of having gained weight right when it is so important to lose the weight. I saw my surgeon in December when I was still have just as many good days as bad and he told me that I should ideally be at 205 lbs. well, it was like he told me to go out and eat a gallon of ice cream!!! Lol. It was so overwhelming, and the weight loss has been a challenge for me from even before when I was much more physical, that I just didn't know how to start.

I finally got serious in early April when I went to Hersheypark on a beautiful spring day and could not walk around. My husband finally encouraged me to rent a scooter so that I could at least enjoy the day a bit with my family (we have 2 girls, 14 & 6).

At that point I vowed to never allow my weight to stop where I need to be with my hip recovery. Definitely was my rock bottom.

So, I started waking up at 5 and going to the pool EVERY DAY before work. I pool walk and have been able to switch to swimming mid way. I try to get a full hour in before hitting the showers at the gym and changing for work. Then I commute 45 min to 1 hr to Philadelphia to work.

With regard to food, I have basically cut out all sweets and breads, pasta, etc, tracking everything I eat on My Fitness Pal and sticking to a 1200 calorie diet. I have also supplemented some meals with Boost Glucose Control to fill me up with high protein and minimal sugar. Add veggies and fruit each day and dinner is a protein and veggie - skipping the carb that I used to have at every dinner.

Now, if that isn't enough...I also thought it would not hurt to add a weight loss meditation cd (downloaded from iTunes) to unwind to at night before bed. Focuses on "mindful eating". (Splendor of Meditation for Weight Loss).

It is not easy, but it is not that difficult either. I do miss some days at the pool (we all oversleep sometimes) and tonight I went over in calories due to a family celebration at a Japanese hibachi grill, but not by too much.

All in all, I am moving forward and am thinking about how great I will feel if I am a bit thinner AND have a new hip! Watch out!!! This mama is going to be rivaling even those Marathon running moms!

Hang in there and I would love to connect more personally if you need a virtual buddy (I could use the help as well).
 
Hi @Juneanng,

Thanks for the helpful tips that are working for you; I just have to shake this "funk" that I am in. I use to go 2 a week for Aqua arthritis class in a hot water therapy pool, but, I stopped. I am going to start going back this week. That will help jump start me, hopefully.

Please stay in touch with; it really helps to have a buddy who has the same struggles. Not just the hip, but, the weight as well.
Thanks again and stay blessed
 
Hang in there @1_HIP_I_wonder ! It's darn hard to stay motivated with hip pain. That aqua arthritis class sounds great! Please keep us updated on how you are doing.
 
It is hard to stay motivated with hip or knee pain! We have all been there and life's ups and downs have derailed us shortly; but not completely. I have been having personal issues so I had stopped eating; well that backfires just as much as binge eating! I gained 15 pounds in 2 weeks! I am back down 10 pounds thankfully, back to eating healthy and dealing with my issues instead of avoiding them.

Losing weight isn't easy, but it is worth it!
 
I'm scheduled for a RTHR on July 14th. Like others I'm overweight and my surgeon wanted me to do the bariatric weight loss surgery - I researched and was not comfortable doing it. I've been trying on my own, it's slow - very slow and no where near where he'd like me to be - but as I told him at my last appointment, I've tried it his way - the cortisone injections, cortisone injections under xray, stronger diclofenac, etc., but I'm done and he finally agreed - he's not happy about it - but he's agreed that it's time - so it's a go. I'm hoping to start water walking this week to give me a month of time to work on building up my leg muscles. I use a cane full-time and after this weekend (pain was the worst it's been) I'm thinking of a walker instead.
 
@1 HIP I wonder
My prayers are with you! You can do this and remember...one day at a time.

@debwebwall
I'm switching from a cane to the walker because the walker helps with not limping. I've been told it's very important to try and limp as little as possible.
 
Hi,

@debwebwall, congrats on your upcoming surgery, unfortunately, my insurance company is not budging on the weight loss requirement. I have been using a cane full time for past 2 years, quite depressing. I see people looking at me, like "she is so young"!

@Cynthia777,
Thanks for your support.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom