Guest viewing is limited

Overweight and in desperate need of TRHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bamagirl,
I also started to take aqua arthritis classes and they wonderful because the pool was a hot water therapy pool. The problem started when I had to get out! The warm water was fantastic on my hip.
I didn't ask any questions around high heels; although, I have had to put those away long ago. My hip would even let me try and walk 3 steps; it's way too painful.
I appreciate your support and providing me information on your story; it helps me to continue to fight for my surgery.
 
@1_HIP_I_wonder I wish I did have bright ideas about how to convince the HMO-- but I don't really. I sort of mean, like, help carrying picket signs and leafletting their office building and whatnot:rofsign:like that:snork:

I'm with you on gastric bypass-- rather not have to go to that! Can you get a second opinion from more and different OS's who might be more sympathetic to your *real* problem, to wit, you desperately need a new hip, because then you can begin to lose weight the safe way? :)
 
@zauberflöte.
lol!! with my bad right hip, you would be carrying the picket signs by yourself! You want to hear the irony? I work for the insurance company!!! How's that for a hoot!
I am not the least bit interested in the gastric bypass; there are so many risks and life long problems with that surgery and honestly, I don't think I need to lose that much weight.
I have a second opinion scheduled, so, I will keep you posted.
Thanks for the support
 
Hello, @1_HIP_I_wonder, just wanted you to know I have been thinking about you and praying about your surgery situation. I hope things are moving forward for you to resolve your pain.
 
Hello, @1_HIP_I_wonder, just wanted you to know I have been thinking about you and praying about your surgery situation. I hope things are moving forward for you to resolve your pain.

Thanks so much for the prayers and wonderful thoughts. I am still nursing and limping on my bad hip. I am waiting for open enrollment so that I can change from my HMO to a PPO/out of network insurance plan. This will open up more doctors and the weight requirement is less restrictive. As soon as the plan is active on Jan. 1, I will be in the OS office.
I am already researching several surgeons and I will be ready. I just hope I can make it to January:)
I will keep you posted. Take care and stay blessed.
 
Sounds like a good idea, and hopefully you will find an excellent, willing surgeon! I'm sure it won't be easy to get through the next several months. We are here if you need to let off some steam! Keep us posted.
 
I have been taking Tramadol and Diclofenac; however, they are now classifying Tramadol as a controlled substance, so, I am wondering if there is a better medication that would help with the pain? I only started with the
Tramadol because it wasn't a narcotic.
 
Hello @1_HIP_I_wonder!

can your insurance be used in another state? Perhaps seek a doctor in another major city? I say city just for population reasons. I would assume there ought to be more experienced orthro surgeons in a city than rural area. I live in NYC and my doctor work many people. He is in surgery doing THRs 4 days out of the week .

I was 225 lbs and suffering from back pain when I found out that I needed a THR. I'm 31 years old.
I worked with a personal trainer and we worked strengthen exercises on the upper body and core in preparation for surgery. I'm 2 weeks in recovery and I really feel great.

I would chose THR over the weight loss surgery. For working on the core alone will take pain away from the hip and allow you to recover faster in my opinion.
I'm not a doctor, ( I just play one on TV :) )
Due to working out before surgery, I am able to achieve more milestones in recovery. I still have a ways before I'm 100 percent.
I'm walking great on crutches and I'm able to lift my operated leg higher than 45 degrees and it only has been two weeks.

I wish you the best on your journey!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I don't know if you have researched a minimally invasive technique called SuperPATH. I was in severe pain for a year from arthritic deterioration so I was forced to have surgery. I took tramadol too. And Ibuprophen helped but I was in agony every night. I had knee pain and peripheral neuritis. I went to 7 doctors. The 8th told me I needed hip replacements. After two hip replacement surgeries by Dr. Grandic in Florida. I wish you well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kpalms I had the anterior procedure for my hip replacement.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@rettabetta
I currently live logistically between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD, so, there are many OS in this area. My current issue is that my HMO wants me to lose weight via Bariatric Surgery; which I am refusing to do, before they will cover the RTHR.
My plan is to change my plan during OE to a plan with a larger network of doctors. I actually never thought of getting a personal trainer to work on my core prior to the THR.

@kpalms
I have seen several people on the BS Forum who have had the "Superpath" technique. I don't know much about, but, I will research it as a possible option. I definitely struggle at night with the pain in my hip; I haven't had a full night's sleep in the last few years.
Thanks everyone for the support; I am so happy and blessed to have found this forum!
 
You will be in my prayers...I am obese but am having right THR on Monday, Aug. 25 because of the excruciating and incessant pain.
All the best and God bless!
 
@IMs ,
I wish you a speed recovery on your upcoming THR; I am sure you can't wait to be on the other side of pain and enjoying happiness and pain-free movement!
I will follow you on the other side in the recovery thread! You will also be in prayers.
Peace and Blessings.
 
Hello @1_HIP_I_wonder, thank you so very much for your kind words and thoughts and for your prayers. I pray that the Good Lord Jesus would show you the best way for total relief of the pain and trial you have been suffering (bone-on-pain pain is no joke, I know...)

May He always guide and watch over you now and always! All the best and God bless you!
 
Just dropping by to say hello @1_HIP_I_wonder - you will get there, we are going to help you get to the line and over and onto a new active and exciting life without the bone on bone pain.. Good luck with your search for an OS - keep us posted, I am very interested in how you are going xx
 
Hi @Poppet,
Thanks for stopping by :) I really appreciate the love! Hopefully, I will more information in a few months; just trying to hanging in there!
 
A close member friend of mine introduced me to this book, mainly for the water exercises. I found it invaluable, pre and post surgery... x

It is written by an orthopedic surgeon and a water exercise specialist who work with joint replacement folk :)

Heal Your Hips: How to Prevent Hip Surgery -- and What to Do If You Need It [Kindle Edition]
 
Surgery over...in very great pain. ..sweating prifusely...taking Dilaudid... and other heavy stuff...what is best for pain relief? Excruciating pain..please pray
 
@IMs, start your recovery thread if you are coherent enough. Go to the "Hip Replacement Recovery Area" and click on the black button at the top right that says "Post New Thread." And for the pain ... let your nurses know how your pain levels are, and also they should be putting ice packs on your hip for swelling and pain relief. Sorry you are in such pain and hopefully it will soon subside. I'll pray for relief and look for your recovery thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom