Guest viewing is limited

THR out of sync?

Good Morning...
You can use ice for as long as you want. It helps with pain, inflammation and you can also ice preventatively after over activity.
Hope you have a great week!
@boots
 
Good to know about the ice; I had the same question. Forgot to take the ice pack with me to bed last night and didn't notice any swelling. In fact, I haven't had any swelling at all this first week. But the ice does feel good, and when I'm not moving around going to kitchen or bathroom I'm in the recliner with the ice. I'll keep doing that for at least another week.
 
I didn't have alot of visible swelling after the first few days, but I faithfully iced whenever I could.
Ice felt great for those poor sore quads I had also.
Even after I started back to work, I iced some during the day and as soon as I got home...I assumed the position.
Ice and elevate.:ice:
Worked like a charm!!!!
 
Last edited:
Good to know about the ice; I had the same question. Forgot to take the ice pack with me to bed last night and didn't notice any swelling. In fact, I haven't had any swelling at all this first week. But the ice does feel good, and when I'm not moving around going to kitchen or bathroom I'm in the recliner with the ice. I'll keep doing that for at least another week.
@HipLucy Keep the ice packs at hand.. Even 9 weeks out as you increase your activity level ice helps with soreness. I wish I had iced last night after my hike. As you use muscles that have not been used in a while and put some pressure on a still healing hip ice may be your friend for a very long time. You won't have to sleep with it though and icing will not be a large part of your day. I am unnecessarily sore this morning particularly the IT band. Icing now and will ride a bike at low resistance later.
 
Things are going well. Our son lives close along with his 4 little ones. They were at their other grandparents for the weekend, so we had a quiet weekend, a few visitors and some brought food! My sister brought a bathtub seat so I was able to take a shower last night. I did take a ride in to town with hubby yesterday morning. It felt good to get out. I feel good but am taking it slow. We have a wedding on Saturday , it’s an hour drive and I’m thinking we might pass. I’ll see how I feel in a few days. Thanks for your suggestions, I am keeping ice on !
 
We have a wedding on Saturday , it’s an hour drive and I’m thinking we might pass.
Pretty early days for that kind of event! There is the drive but also lots of "stand up, sit down" and moving around to socialise.

This early out all you should be doing is icing, elevating, taking pain meds as prescribed and moving around very slowly for short trips around your home. There will be time to socialise when that hip is healed.
 
I'm amazed @boots that you would even consider a wedding! I must be antisocial because I've told everyone I don't want company. It's great to keep in touch via phone and text, but right now I want to focus completely on recovery, and nothing else. As a workaholic up to the weekend before my surgery I'm surprised at how irrelevant work seems right now.
 
Things are going well. Using the cane around the house except when I get up in the night. I’m getting bored. I’m taking 3-4000 mg of Tylenol per drs instruction along with a Celebrex every day. I am amazed how much pain I must have been in, I never thought I would feel this good again. I’ve taken melatonin a few nights to help with sleep.
we did go to the wedding reception Saturday afternoon. I went to church Sunday morning and stayed till after our pastor got married at noon.
today I browned burger for tacos for the extended family, hubby, son, dil and four grandkids. Been doing a few dishes every day.
I worked right up to the day before surgery, on my feet milking cows in the morning and feeding calves in the afternoons, so I feel I was in pretty good physical shape before the replacement
like I said, I’m bored - been watching Netflix and doing crossword puzzles. I do some of the exercises they sent home with me, so all in all a much easier recovery than with the knee!
 
:hi: @boots
Wow, I'm amazed at how well and how much you've done and you're only eleven days post op. I'm surprised the wedding didn't wear you out. Boredom does set in, but please take it slow so you stay on the same path without veering into the ODIC (Over Did It Club) Glad you're finding this recovery easier than your Partial TKR. We hear that often.
Wishing you a relaxing evening and a great week!
 
@boots
I love hearing about your adventures. Regarding church, are you able to get up easily from a pew, and to you feel there's enough room to extend your leg? Im still using a walker. I figure kneeling is way off in the future, but I would like to get back to church sooner rather than later.
 
Hi @boots You sound great, and that is wonderful. I do agree with Layla though. Try to take it easy so you don't suffer a set back. I had one and was so upset with myself, it took about 10 days to bounce back. It was so frustrating.
That being said, you were indeed in good shape and probably had such pre op pain that it now feels like a walk in the park!!
I am so happy for you. Onwards and upwards!!
 
Things are going well. Using the cane around the house except when I get up in the night. I’m getting bored. I’m taking 3-4000 mg of Tylenol per drs instruction along with a Celebrex every day. I am amazed how much pain I must have been in, I never thought I would feel this good again. I’ve taken melatonin a few nights to help with sleep.
we did go to the wedding reception Saturday afternoon. I went to church Sunday morning and stayed till after our pastor got married at noon.
today I browned burger for tacos for the extended family, hubby, son, dil and four grandkids. Been doing a few dishes every day.
I worked right up to the day before surgery, on my feet milking cows in the morning and feeding calves in the afternoons, so I feel I was in pretty good physical shape before the replacement
like I said, I’m bored - been watching Netflix and doing crossword puzzles. I do some of the exercises they sent home with me, so all in all a much easier recovery than with the knee!

Just a suggestion for Netflix, if you enjoy history and haven't watched this original BBC series yet try "The Last Kingdom".

Three seasons are available, it's very well done and based on historical events. It will keep you not bored for a few days to a week.

Bruce
 
Hi @boots
Just popping in to see if you are doing okay and trying to keep yourself from overdoing it considering your responsibilities to your animals?
Hope you have a great weekend!:SUNsmile:
 
Good afternoon @Mojo333 , thanks for asking. Doing well, walking around every hour. Sleeping better. I think I’ll try sleeping in my bed tonight. Youngest daughter and grandson are coming up to visit for the weekend. I may take a ride out to the local cider mill that sells my daughter’s handmade Christmas ornaments. Need apples and maybe some homemade bread. Other than that I’ll probably go to church Sunday as hubby is filling in. Thanks again for checking on me. Bored but otherwise doing great
 
:bored: yep, Booooring.
Boring is good right now but your weekend sounds like a Hallmark channel movie.
I may take a ride out to the local cider mill that sells my daughter’s handmade Christmas ornaments. Need apples and maybe some homemade bread.
Aaah!
Just remember...all temporary and well worth the slow pace.
 
I went to sleep in my own bed around 9 last night. I was up 4 times, each time my lower back hurt so bad I think if I could have found the norco I would have taken one. The 4th time I took two Tylenol and got in the chair, slept from 5 am till 9! My back does not hurt at all. I need to find some way to elevate my legs, I think. Laying flat out is definitely not going to work. Other than that I’m fine and was so happy when I got up with no pain, I was worried that I messed something up. I need to keep in mind it’s been just over 2 weeks! So much different than having a kidney stone out (when I have had them done out patient I’m back to work in 2 days). On ward from here. Thanks
 
I was up 4 times, each time my lower back hurt so bad I think if I could have found the norco I would have taken one. The 4th time I took two Tylenol and got in the chair, slept from 5 am till 9! My back does not hurt at all. I need to find some way to elevate my legs, I think. Laying flat out is definitely not going to work.

:sigh: Sounds EXACTLY like me at 2 weeks.
No all night bed sleeps however a flattish type pillow or folded up blanket under my knees did help my back.
I would mostly still get up and go back to sleep in my recliner like you.
Had to become a power napper too.
Very early days...and gets old quick.
Hang in there boots.
 
Hi @boots
It's such early days of recovery for you. Lots of annoyances initially it seems.
Thankfully it's only temporary. Its good you found the recliner comfortable enough to get you through the night, and an added bonus waking up without a sore back. Yahoo!
Wishing you a happy Sunday and comfort as you continue the journey! :walking:
 
Not sure where to post this: I need to figure out the best way to elevate my legs while sleeping. Needs to be simple so I don't have to have help getting situated when I need to get up in the night, would like to not bother hubby to help me get back situated. any thing on Amazon??
I think if I do this I can sleep in my bed. thanks.
Boots
 
Back
Top Bottom