Guest viewing is limited

THR OUCH !!!<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gooniebird63
When you want to reply to a particular post and/or person, just type in their user name, with the @ sign before it and no spaces...just as I did your name. And then, just do your post. Hope this helps and hope you are doing well today.
 
Alright, this is frustrating and discouraging.
I am 3 months out from thr.
Supposed to go back to work after Jan 1.
Was doing great , no pain, following my bending restrictions pretty carefully.
The other day i started experiencing cramp like pain in the sciatic area of my new hip,
I am able to recreate the sensation by moving my hip outward like Elvis, lol.
Sometimes feels like a muscle cramp , moving down the back of my leg, but most of the time it feels like a knot with stabbing pain. , i just want this to be over with, i need to continue on with my life.
 
Hello,

I know how you're feeling. I am just over 4 weeks post op and seem to be doing worse now than I was two weeks ago. I'm going back to work tomorrow but don't feel as positive about it as I did.
A couple of days after my operation I developed a very nasty case of sciatica and was put on steroids. That seemed to take care of that so I'm not in that type of pain anymore. It's possible you might have a touch of sciatic nerve pain. Perhaps you should ring your doctor and see if he thinks steroids would help?

I hope you feel better. Take care!

Nia
 
Hi Gooniebird. I've asked a mod to combine this with your original recovery thread, so your history is all in one place. There can be many reasons for a new kind of pain to start occurring a month after surgery, and MOST of the time it's perfectly normal, and easily fixed.

Usually around this time, people are feeling better and more mobile. Extremely easy to up the activity levels too much too soon...could be at PT, could be just around the house and doing more, could be going out and socializing or shopping, or whatever; could be starting to resume a favorite recreational activity and jumping in too soon. AND/OR this time period also coincides with a lot of people significantly reducing or completely eliminating their pain meds...again too much/too soon.

So the usual recommendation is to simply notch it back a few steps. Rest more, medicate effectively, keep using ice, eliminate anything the least bit strenuous, and give yourself time to keep healing. Make any changes in TINY increments, very gradually.

Did you get the post op materials in your first thread? I'm going to repost them anyway...

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

With all that said, keep us posted on what your doc says.

Sharon
 
It does mimic Piriformis, more than sciatica, let me guess. .. scar tissue pressure on the nerve.
 
I noticed while sitting here on the couch, both feet on the floor but with the heel from the good leg resting on the top of the thr foot, i can feel the pain radiating down into my shin and calf.
 
@Gooniebird63 I had major piriformis and sciatic pain issues post LTHR. What worked for me was gentle hamstring stretches from a sitting position. Start very slow and gentle and work gradually to more tension. I still do these daily to ease sciatic pain.

Unfortunately your hip is in charge of this recovery. You will get there - just a bump in the recovery road!
 
I merged your two recovery threads, as per forum protocol---only one recovery thread per member.

The reason for this is that it is much, much easier to help you and to advise and support you if we can see where you have been in recovery and what issues you may have had---and we only have to look at one thread instead of hopping back and forth between threads---we can help you out much easier, and there are no duplicate posts, either.
 
Yesterday my neurosurgeon said that it is not uncommon for hip surgery to stir up problems in the back and for back surgery to stir up the hip. He gets patients with this sort of problem all the time. It has been almost 6 month since my right hip replacement and I am still having problems and pain. I had a transforamial steroid injection in L3/4 a month ago but it did not help. He now advised me not to rush in to having any surgery (even a hip revision) or a back operation and just to wait another three months and if I have no improvement I am to go back to see him again. I have not made another appt. to see my Orthopaedic surgeon yet even though he referred me to the back doctor.
 
It does mimic Piriformis, more than sciatica, let me guess. .. scar tissue pressure on the nerve.
I noticed while sitting here on the couch, both feet on the floor but with the heel from the good leg resting on the top of the thr foot, i can feel the pain radiating down into my shin and calf.
It's not 'mimicking' piriformis, it IS piriformis! Read the article and do the stretches.
 
I have posted previously and am wondering what the heck is clunking when I move my operative hip , when I move my leg around in a circle at a standing position, it clunks like crazy, my chiro seems to think it is my sciatic joint but it feels like it's right in the hip joint, What is happening ?
THR Sept 9th, still not working.
 
Have you tried reaching out to your OS? Some people on this site have experienced a clunking sound, but I think, if memory serves me, it eventually goes away. I will tag @Josephine for you, as she is the person who can best answer your question.
 
Yes i have , a couple times, in person, he seemed perplexed but not enough to pursue a solution.
 
Wow! I'm sorry. I'll be interested to see what Jo has to say about that.
 
@Gooniebird63 I had a clunking sensation post both THRs but it disappeared. FYI your sciatic nerve runs very close to that joint. Have you had an x-ray of your lower back?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom