Revision THR Other side of hip revision--SWELLING

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would get on the phone to your OS or even PT just too check. Sounds like some sort of physical examination may be needed to see what's what but also calm your nerves. Its a hiccup

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oops did not mention that? I talked to the nurse and am going to see my ortho surgeon on Wednesday. Seems it all points to it being loose. Not up to more surgery. Things were going so well. My golf game had even improved!!!
 
@Birdie53 I was going to suggest that you need to see your surgeon and get an x-ray. New hips sometimes "clunk" a bit but nothing like you are describing. What movement were you doing when this happened?
 
Oh @Birdie53

I'm so sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope that you can get it resolved. Please keep us updated. Especially when you've done so well

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
Hi Birdie


You certainly are a lively girl, Golf and Yoga into six months after a revision. Time to sit on your bahookie and have a wee rest. You maybe pushed it slightly with the Yoga, can't say I have ever done Yoga and have only seen woman sitting, squatting ? or lying in awkward positions. Fingers and toes crossed this is a minor set back and maybe time to assess a situation of what physical exercise you are about to participate in before jumping in with both feet.
I have just went through a revision and I am at the three month stage walking in the pool and I am very cautious, even bought myself a walking stick in case I am in a position I feel I need to use it to give me support. Just don't want to leave anything to chance [ had enough of hospitals I'm afraid ]

Billy
 
@Birdie53 sending hugs, good thoughts , and listening ears. Just finished reading your thread. You have been through the ringer. Hope that you get this issue sorted out. Know that your posts are helpful to others, we may not have the exact same path to recovery but we certainly have similar issues. I have to remember not to to compare myself to hippees that are way ahead of me and to realize that there are a bunch who have struggles too. My recovery is sloooow motion but so were both of my knee replacements. I get angry at what I want to acconplish and can't. I finally gave out last night iced and went to bed. Slept three hours and now wide awake. hang in there!
 
Hoping that this is not significant but a muscle misbehaving @Birdie53.
Will be thinking of you & hoping everything settles for you xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Birdie53. I am 7 weeks post op and I had a scare of a loud clunk last Wednesday. I told my PT on Friday about it and they didn't seem too concerned. I did my exercises fine, in fact they ramped them up, but afterwards and since then I can hardly stand to weight bear. It's a little better today. But I hear ya! That clunk sound is very unsettling. I'm wondering if I did something bad to it or if it's just the exercises. Since there has been a little improvement I am hopeful it was just PT but that clunk is very worrisome! I feel like I just took 10 steps backward in my recovery and pain management. Ugh! If you find out what causes a clunk let me know...I hope you feel better!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Cleifeste and all my friends out there in Bonesmart land! Was going to wait until tomorrow to post but since I did get a note about this latest experience I am going to 2 part it!

To make a loooonnnggg story short. Did go to my surgeon. He said it was muscles not being strong enough to keep hip from slipping. Sent me to PT. (so this has been my ortho through 2 hips-- very highly regarded--why I didn't question him)

THEN.... It got worse. Every time I got up and down from bed,sitting,out of car, yoga etc. huge kaklunk and shifting and feeling like a dislocation then slipping back. Only now it would freeze up and I couldn't bear weight or move until I could get it to go back. And then a huge bump on the hip. Then when it would slip back -- no bump. Sorry but this is an issue to me.

Decided to go to another ortho guy just to get another opinion.
TURNS OUT.... I was right. It is dislocating and then slipping back. Ortho moved it on the table and he said for sure my ortho would see it when he examines me. Have an appt with him tomorrow. He WILL move my hip this time -- as he did not move it much last time-- I will never leave doctor again without them putting hands on me more aggressively.

So 2nd opinion guy says only option is surgery to change cup and possibly the head. Oh joy. More tomorrow
But my advice is always listen to yourself and what you think matters-- it's your body and they are not always right.

Now, to not scare anyone--apparently dislocation is one of the pitfalls of a revision-- although I am told it only happens in about 4 out of 100 revisions presently.

Ok--deep breath and move on. Anyone else who might have had this surgery let me know how bad it is? I was really happy with my hip and not looking forward to another long recovery.
Thx!
Birdie
 
@Birdie53
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am entering week 5 on my LTHR revision. I had infection and my first surgery was an antibiotic spacer. I had that w no weight bearing for 12 weeks.
My second surgery was May 4 and I had the permanent hip implanted. I am dealing w the fatigue right now and taking pain meds only as needed now.
I hope you recover and pick up your active life style very quickly. I vote ditch that Yoga! :)
 
@Birdie53 oh my. Hopefully your OS will get this sorted out with a plan for you. Good advice for all of us to listen to our bodies. Thoughts and prayers your way and keep us posted. Dislocation is at the top of my list of worries. With my knee replacements, pt was the worry. My OS is very strong on restrictions but I know it is for the best. Take care.
 
Part 2 of the dislocation saga. Trip to my surgeon was the same. Findings were the same. Another surgery.
He has asked the suppliers to make a specialized liner for the cup. Going into more details would completely mess me up so that's all I will say. It could happen in 2 days or 2 weeks. This will probably be my last post until then. At which time I will be a pre-op and a Post-op! See you all on the other side again!
Thx for all your support!
Birdie53
 
Thinking of you @Birdie53
Hoping they get your surgery done quickly....much love Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sending more positive vibes from Australia @Birdie53 Hopefully this LAST stage of your journey goes well. Keep us posted - when you can get the oomph to...

Donna :console2:
 
Hi Birdie53. I am so sorry to hear of your need for another surgery. That is probably all of our worst fears.... just know you have a lot of people behind you and rooting you on from afar. I'll keep you in my prayers.
 
You are in my prayers Birdie53. I hope all goes well and you are up and at em very soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Birdie53. We haven't heard from you for a while so I wanted to check in with you and see what is new with you, if you've gotten your "clunk" fixed. My thoughts and prayers are still with you.


Cheryl

LTHR. 16 April 2015

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi All
I appreciate the support and thanks @Cleifeste for checking up on me! Actually just saw my doctor last week. I thought he was going to tell me the part was in but turns out it is still not ready! But he did spring some new info on me. He wrote up my issues and presented them to a board of 100 ortho surgeons. They all weighed in and their thoughts were DON'T DO ANYTHING. They said that my hip was perfect and they would not risk going back in-- they recommended I restrict my movements and take precautions to keep it from popping out. Basically the restrictions one has when they first have surgery.

Actually I had stopped doing anything that caused the problem. Changed the way I sit and sleep and get out of the car-- etc. it has been helping and I haven't had any mishaps. He said it was my decision. I have a lot to think about but I am leaning toward leaving it alone. Don't want to go through another surgery.

Comments?

Footnote: I have been playing golf but quit all the exercise classes I was doing-- just walking.
Going to ask him if I will be safe without the surgery and if so I think if I have to give up a few small things I can live with it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom