Revision THR Other side of hip revision--SWELLING

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it works and no side effects or potential damage go for it lass. Walking is grand as you are on a golf course I presume it has hills so best work out on all the muscles in legs.
Keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi guys-- glad some of you are feeling better and hoping I would be in your great place but-----
After 4 months of waiting for this custom part which is supposed to stop my dislocating-- which is unbearable now-- I was told they cannot make it so I will need another Revision surgery. I am in shock. This I'll be my third hip on the same side. I am not up to this but I have to get better. My quality of life sucks!

Hoping to do it early November. Will find out on Monday.
More then
Oh joy!!!!
Birdie54
 
Oh Birdie that must've been one big shock to you!! what reason did they give for not being able to make it?
Sending you a ((big hug)) xxx
 
@Birdie53 so sorry you are facing another surgery. Thiere are so many differences of opinions out there about hip replacements and restrictions. My OS is very conservative and I have a lifetime 90 degree restriction. I have come to terms with it but it does place limitations on my life. Interesting about dislocations, my OS says that it is about 15%. Many are non reported as they go to er and pop it back in. That is a high rate and of concern to all of us. I wish you all the best on your recovery journey. I can understand how you must feel facing yet another complication with your hip. They have given you different solutions to your problem. Is there another OS who has done revisions, that you could get a second option from? Sending hugs!
 
@Birdie53
What can I say....It's just not fair! I'm so sorry that you have to have another revision & that seemingly they have strung you along about making a new part for you.
Do hope you get a date very quickly and can get it done & start yet another recovery. You DO need to be getting your life back.
Thinking of you & hope to read your update on Mondays events. Thinking of you..Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks to all for your support! I wrote that at a low point last night. But now that I read it again it is how I am feeling. But enough of that. Yes I have been to 2 other surgeons even though I have a long history with mine and he is well known in this area for great work. They both said that they would change out the parts-- a plastic liner that goes in the cup and possibly the head of the hip-- unfortunately it would have to be custom made by the company-- Stryker-- who says they cannot make it-- more on that after I visit with my surgeon to get what really has happened. The worst is that my new deductible year-- don't know if everyone knows what that is-- but it started again on September 1. Which means about $6000 out of my pocket instead of 100% paid if I had had surgery before September 1. It pretty much sucks all around.

I really don't get what happened -- this hip was perfect and I recovered great. I am alarmed to hear 15% dislocation rate-- I was told 4 % -- but it makes sense since I have actually had 2 friends with the same problem.

Oh well enough whining!
More on Monday
 
I'm really sorry that this happened. I thought they advised you not to do anything? (I'm confused. I'm referring to the board of 100 surgeons.) I've really learned from your thread. I do yoga, and I'm not doing much since having both of my hips replaced. I'm curious as to what pose you were doing when you heard the first clunk?
 
Always glad to talk to another Yogi!
So to try to answer without too much extra junk-- the surgeons that suggested doing nothing because in their opinion the hip was perfect only looked at my X-rays-- they had no idea about how much this was happening how severely and how it was affecting my life. ( and of course it was a majority -- don't know the actual #)

It actually was not just a sound the first time but an actual severe,painful popping out and it happened while I was cleaning my house. Then the next time it happened a few times in my next yoga class during a forward fold and subsequently any time I would pull my knees in or go left over right. Then it just started happening all the time.
People can hear it and are frightened by it because it sounds really scary. It sounds like kaclunk and comes out of the socket. It will not go back in lots of times and you can see a big lump on my left side hip bone. I can't walk and it's very painful to try and get it back in. So you can see how I can't live with this.

I took all the precautions and got the release to go back to yoga and golf. Yoga is so much a part of my life. It is so helpful in treating my fibromyalgia that I can't imagine having to give it up.
People have no idea. I plan to go back after this surgery unless my dr advises against it adamantly.

Ok hope that hasn't bored too much.
I will be back on Monday for another
Installment!!!
Birdie
 
Hi friends!!!
Surgery is on Friday! Yes this Friday!!!(10/30/15)
I am sooo happy. My hip dislocates constantly and has become quite painful and uncomfortable.

I will not go into details but in the end my surgeon and the engineers at Stryker could not come to agreement about the "custom" part. I will be getting a new revision except this time they will not take the part out my femur. The rest will be all new including the cup, liner and modular piece and done anteriorly instead of posteriorly.

I guess I will report in this same place pre and post since I am established and still here. I will try to add to the title if I can. if someone wants me somewhere else let me know!!!

So wish me luck-- it will be after 12:00 and I will be in hospital about 3 days.

Third time is the charm!!!!!

Surgery 3rd replacement left hip
Original hip replacement may 15,2008
Revision 11/25/14
Revision 10/30/15

Birdie 53
 
Whoooot great news the die is cast...

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I am home from the 3rd! All went well. For anyone who was interested in what actually happened-- when the surgeon got into my hip it turned out that the cup had come loose-- so it was moving back and forth with the head and making the excruciating noise and pain. Don't know all the details since my husband isn't great at getting it right. Think he was just glad it went well.

So back on another road to recovery-- a lesson learned-- always listen to your body and be firm in what you think is happening.

More when I get to the doctor post op visit and actually hear what happened and what was replaced.
Birdie
 
Oh @Birdie53
I have been catching up on your thread and what an experience you have been through. Hope your recovery goes straight forwardly and you are on the path to an easier time. Take care!
 
Good luck on the new revision. I have one too because my original non-constrained hip dislocated 6 times after a fall. The joint itself was good but the surrounding tissue became too loose to help hold things together and it would pull out in situations that were ok for the first 4 years. The new Stryker constrained joint is working perfect. No pain and I can now move in all the ways that dislocated before. I feel a slight resistance as I approach the limits of range of motion which I am told is the hip joint being flexed to it's limit. So I stop and don't force it farther. I am lucky and just post to say good luck and there is hope!
 
Keep listening to your body.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin @copsham @CJS57
As always thanks for the good support!!! It is much appreciated and always so happy to hear from someone who has been through something similar. My dr mentioned doing the constrained cup right before surgery because I dislocated constantly-- but when he got in obviously he saw the issue.

I am so happy that you @CJS57 are not dislocating anymore-- really-- it's is not fun. And seeing that you have gone back to the things you enjoy gives me real hope. I love yoga and golf and getting back to them will be so great! Thanks for your input. You have made my day!
Birdie
THR May 15 2008
Revision Nov. 25 2014
Revision Oct. 30 2015
 
Welcome to the other side yet again @Birdie53 . So happy you are finally through all this and on the way to a more active life. Just keep to those mantras!
 
@Jaycey thankyou!!
Am icing elevating, etc etc-but today having 10+ pain in my groin. I can't even walk with the walker without pain. Should I be calling dr office or waiting it out? Nothing is ever straight- forward easy! Ugh
Birdie
 
I would call your surgeon's office. If they are not responsive call your family doctor. What pain meds are you taking? Are you taking them as prescribed around the clock?
 
@Jaycey
Yes taking 20 mg oxycodone every 4 hours on the dot. I also take it with a Tylenol extra strength --
But not more than 4 a day. I see a Pain specialist for chronic pain so they are managing my pain meds.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom