Revision THR Other side of hip revision--SWELLING

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your pain is 10+ it is not managed. Please call your pain specialist. You need to get this controlled so it does not impact your getting mobile.
 
@Jaycey thank you! I will do that. I appreciate the advice. I know they said I could have groin pain but did not expect it to be so fierce. Your time is so appreciated!
 
Please keep us updated! Hope things are easing for you.
 
I agree you cannot go on in that level of pain as it will stop most sleep and then make recovery last wayyyy longer

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks! I did speak to my pain management dr and she increased my fentanyl. Hopefully this will do the trick. Have been able to walk laps in my living room and do the exercises that the PT left.
Appt with my surgeon on Thursday.

@Jaycey thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It saved me from ca,,in gall the wrong people for all the wrong reasons!
Birdie
 
Fingers crossed that increase does the trick for you! Easy on the PT for now. Hips don't really need a lot of exercise - just walking.
 
That's what the PT actually said at the hospital. She was the same one I had last year and said the same thing. I agree. Walking did it for me the last time.
Thanks!
 
It is brilliant to have same person who you liked last time. Nice and easy does it nae boogieing just yet

Legin THR Sep 14
 
3 and 1/2 weeks now. I seem to be doing better with the pain managed. I tried cutting back but don't think the time is right yet. I keep reading about all these people doing great things with anterior approach. I still have quite a lot of pain and can't sleep well at all. The PT at the hospital said maybe because it's because it's the third time? Whatever. It is what it is. But LOTS less swelling this time.
I continue to walk and walk and walk. Again thanks for all the support.
Birdie
 
Hi hipsters!
It has been 6 weeks since my third ThR.
Going to the doc on Thursday. I am hoping the bone grafts will have healed enough to move from crutches to a cane. Things are good except this fierce
Groin and button pain. I will ask doctor about that on Thursday. Still not sleeping well-- blah blah blah-- same old complaints.
Third time is the charm!
Birdie
 
@Birdie53, I also joined the dislocation club this spring, I did it 3X and Im having a tough time getting good info. My surgeon said if I do it again, its another surgery, with only a 50% success rate, needless to say he scared the hell out of me. So im trying to learn from others and its a small club. I too have chronic pain for about 14 yrs. So far I have only read this page, I need to read your entire thread. I truly hope its been successful!! Did they put you in a hip brace. It helps with preventing the bad movements and keeps the hip flexed. Anytime I was laying, I had to have a towel roll under my knee. It takes at least 6 weeks for the muscles around the joint to scar, I am assuming this is forming a new joint capsule. I wasn't even breaking precautions, when mine happened. This is what is real scary. My story is in my thread, I'm only a week here, however its been a tremendous help! How are you doing emotionally, its a very draining marathon. Its seems its been a few years for you, you must be incredibly strong!!
 
@3rd Dislocation
Hi! I am sorry for waiting so long to comment. I started a few days ago and wrote way too much so I am staring again. I am going to say so much of your issues I empathize with-- down to doctors and other health providers not paying attention to your pain needs and what was happening with your hip. I wonder if all of these people get the same speech-- and I think the surgeons think nothing could possibly go wrong with their implant or maybe you might be blaming them when all you want to do is get this healing over with!

I empathize with your chronic pain although I think you have endured more than I and for such a long time. It's very hard for people to understand pain that is a part of your life-- and then to have something more thrown out at you! I think it is SO hard for others to understand that they should not take it personally -- you just feel like **** and can't be what they want you to be! Yes yes yes it is emotionally draining-- and physically!

This 3rd implant just about used up the last of my patience. I have meltdowns -- tired of meds ruling my life-- tired of the side effects and the meds to counter the side effects. I have just started trying to remember when I have a good day and taking great advantage of it. I have just started telling people when I don't feel well and not feeling bad about it. It has taken me a lot of time to slow down.

So the dislocation. Mine dislocated all the time after the first kuplunk. Sometimes really painfully and sometimes just sliding in and out. Very strange. When he got in he found that the liner in the cup had come off and was going in and out. So I got all new parts except the stem in the femur. And I got an anterior procedure. My first two were posterior. It's been a quicker recovery but I have more screws and quite the bone graft that he want s to heal well before I go back to my regular activities. I have NO restrictions and no restrictions in the future due to the way he changed the placement. I am a little nervous and have been taking things slowly. So far so good. I will be off the cane next week and on my own.

Please keep up with how you are doing. Remember those good days are what we live for. They are so wonderful!
Take care!
Birdie
 
@Birdie53, I just finished reading your entire thread I started crying after pg 5, that is one amazing ordeal, especially on top of the Fibro. I have it too and just added it to my signature. I cannot get over how much you were dislocating. Makes me wonder if its not happening to me while laying on couch with knee a bit externally rotated. It falls to this position naturally. I feel some weird movements, when I go to move that leg. It also happens, sometimes in mid stride and I hear a slight sound. I know at times I can feel it rock in its cup while lying with legs extended.
It was interesting to read you also heard audible noise as it dislocated. I was starting to think I was nuts, as its deep in the joint. You have been through the wringer! I am so glad to read the revision is working! Josephine feels I need same, along with a different surgeon. I'm just emotionally wore out and I feel bad for my teen son. He's been looking after us the past 3 yrs. He spent 2 months on his own this summer, while I was in hospital.

I'm blown away with the amount of pain killer you need. I switched from the oxycotin as I got super depressed on it after several yrs. After 8 yrs on it my dad committed suicide, he got very depressed on it as well. The 1 good thing about the surgery, I was abled to decrease pain meds by 75%. I found after switching to diluadid my depression lifted and I became more outgoing. I too would get nauseous when upping my pain meds. I'm over the moon I've been able to reduce them. people treat you different when they know your on narcotics. Cymbalta did nothing for me, I have tried it twice. I love my cortisone shots, they work well for me. I started in 1993 for my shoulder, not I have too many joints needing them.

You are certainly strong dealing with all this! What is your secret for staying emotionally strong. I wish you the best recover yet and a most enjoyable Christmas. Im adding you to my prayer list. Your story touches me deeply and has shown me a revision can be successful. As I am scared to try again. → cannot thank you enough for sharing your journey. Its not easy to do when its not a success story! I still need to read CJS story with 6 dislocations.
 
I'm now 9 weeks since my last revision and you're right. It's definitely harder than the a regular replacement. I still have to limit my excercise and that's hard. I pushed it too much at first but finally realized it was better to listen to the doctor and physical therapist. Hope everything continues to progress!
 
@susanlanc @3rd Dislocation Good news! My hip is now into it's 13th week and so far so good. It definitely is not popping out anymore.
I have taken it very slowly as Doctor said time was important with this one-- even though the pain is Much better.
It only hurts at the incision site and is sore but I know this will go away once I get those muscles moving again and the healing continues. I am walking a lot now and will see the doctor this Thursday. I expect him to tell me that I can go back to yoga and golf now. He has said no restrictions as far as movement so I am holding him to that and expect to get back to my normal life. Whatever that used to be!
I feel certain it will come back to me.
Good luck to all you other dislocation folks--it's very frustrating. Just remember that you deserve to have a hip that works and gets your quality life back! ( my doc actually told me that)
Birdie53
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom