Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Other side of hip revision--SWELLING

Status
Not open for further replies.
@texasvet no I don't mind you asking at all. So 7 years ago... Good replacement good surgeon.
My OS, various other specialists and PT's were all in agreement that I have a fairly screwed up skeletal structure probably for a long time. So the THR 7 years ago was good except after a few years my knee kind of started turning in and my gait got weird. Still all good but last December I developed what I thought was a hamstring pull-- waited a while. Got worse. Couldn't sit etc. lots of pain. Then sciatic pain down back of the same leg. Saw my OS he said Piriformis and sciatic nerve was being pinched by something. Specialists PT's, MRI, X-rays-- you guys know the drill--Lots of injections-- everyone has an opinion but no one is sure. Meanwhile life is getting bad-now people are noticing my gait and my knee is turning in a lot and leg doesn't come all the way back when I walk it just kind of collapses.

My OS says he has thought about it and brought my case to his Ortho group and he thinks a revision is what we should talk about. Replace the whole thing, give me back the range I have lost, check out sciatic nerve, turn my knee straight again and widen the hip so the bones he thinks are impinging on the muscle and nerve won't do that anymore. I trust him a lot. (same guy) so go for it. They spent 4 hours working on me- isn't it good that we don't know that until after it's over? So I won't know about some of the pain until I can move better but my knee is facing front again and I am walking like a normal person except that I kind of walk like a duck-- said it was necessary to get my hip facing the right way. I just tell everyone it was from my many years as a ballet dancer. Ha!

So this is long and didn't mean to do that to you just wanted you to not fret. The general consensus was that it's probably my screwed up body that has caused the hip issues as well as other chronic pain I have and the need for the revision. So I do believe it is not the norm! And even if it fixes half of the problems yeah! And new equipment!
Take care!
Birdie53
 
@Jaycey
Just a quick question -- since we talked about my meds previously thought I would ask you. I am currently taking oxycodone 20 mg up to 8 a day.
I have really not been sold on these and think that the Percocet 10/325 that I take as part of my meds for fibromyalgia ( for break through) works better but the pain management Doctor changed to the regular oxycodone because she did not want me taking 12 Percocet a day right after the surgery.

So what I am asking again, is can I go back to taking my regular Percocet (10/325) -- up to 4 only per day-- now that my pain is better? The other opioid I take on a regular basis is fentanyl 50 mcg patch every 48 hours.
Thanks!
Birdie53
 
Ok, didn't want to pry. But was curious. Thanks for sharing. I thought about going back to ballet too, but have now reconsidered :heehee:. Best of luck on great recovery outcome.
 
So what I am asking again, is can I go back to taking my regular Percocet (10/325) -- up to 4 only per day-- now that my pain is better? The other opioid I take on a regular basis is fentanyl 50 mcg patch every 48 hours.
I am not a medical expert so really can't advise you on your meds. I'll tag @Josephine who is in recovery as well and @Jamie (in case Jo isn't around) for input.
 
You really need to discuss this with your physician, surgeon or pharmacist. Given your history, it's not the kind of information you should be seeking on a forum.
 
@Josephine you are right. I should have deleted that message as soon as I wrote it. Thanks for taking the time to answer anyway. I think I was feeling pretty good and wanted to go back to my regular ( fibromyalgia ) pain meds. But seems like every time I think things are really good things go back again. I definitely still need the stronger meds. Will see my pain management doctor this week and I am sure she will tell me to chill!

I decided that walking around IKEA would be good therapy today. Felt great until tonight. Ugggggghhhhhh!
I feel like I was hit by a semi truck.

I really feel like the fibromyalgia has been more painful since I had the surgery. Hoping the jump in fentanyl will help. In your years of practice have you had complaints from people with other chronic pain saying their other pain is made worse by the replacement surgery? It's really hard some days to deal with both. And really depressing. Ok taken up enough of your time!
Have a good one and thank you so much for being such a good resource and support!
Birdie53
 
@Birdie53 I think you and I are sisters in issues. :rotfl: I was again bemoaning my perceived lack of progress with my PT in the pool on Friday, and she finally said it...with all of my other problems (stenosis, bad left hip, fibro), this could be a very long and tough row to hoe. I guess that I have been trying to ignore all of those variables and just charge ahead to running through fields of clover with my new hips, but people like us have to live with the other pieces of the pie which slow us way down. No jumping up and doing the Macarena for us, I guess. Plod, plod, plod...
That said, I'm very sorry that water activity did you more harm than good. I did have a bad night on Friday after a lot of pool stretching that morning, but I'm still going to blame the damn mammogram for messing me up. I'm sure the water movement didn't help either. I'll go lighter on Tuesday. I've been doing about 45 minutes of movement in the pool lately, but I did work up to that. I don't feel like I can do much, so I think my body just slows me down a great deal too. Take it bits at a time, if you do decide to go back. I love the weightless feeling the the ability to stride fully.
My fibro is in full on flare right now too. I was having pain in my rib cage (way different than chest pains), and it took me a bit to remember what that meant. It means the next couple of weeks will be plagued with extra pain issues besides the hip challenges.
So, what all that means is that I get it...I so get it. I wish neither of us did get it, but fortunately, for each other, we do. Rest as much as you possibly can and take good care of yourself. I spent the weekend propped up in bed with ice and pugs again. I'm going pretty okay this afternoon, and that's good because I'm going to try to do full time at work this week. Send me good stamina inducing thoughts.
Lynn
 
@LibraryLynn you Are right! We should come from the same sorority sisterhood. No one gets the fibromyalgia piece unless they have it. I definitely think that the stress from other things -- including this surgery complicates things. I have been having major flare ups too. Had the rib chest pain yesterday too. And my arms. Had a heating pad wrapped around the top of my body and one around my thighs. It's so impossible to explain to others. Although my Ortho and my husband get it. Maybe that is where the impatience for getting over the hip thing comes from-- you think? That way we can get back to dealing with the daily things that plague us!

It doesn't sound like it but I do so hate to go on about it especially to my husband-- the angel that he has been--
Some days pain is all I find myself talking about. Bad existence. As I said I want the hip to get better so I can deal with the other stuff.

I think the water will help eventually. I walked in "Target"today and of course came home with a rather large hip that was not happy. Took the meds and crashed out hard. Will try walking up and down my street a little tomorrow.

9 weeks out on Tuesday. Put those big girl pants on and move on!
Take care!
Birdie53
 
Ponders big girl pants. Decides better to be unknowing

Legin THR Sep 14
 
In your years of practice have you had complaints from people with other chronic pain saying their other pain is made worse by the replacement surgery?
Oh for sure! Sadly, it's often almost inevitable.

Ok taken up enough of your time!
You'll have a hard job doing that! My time on here is almost inexhaustible!
 
@Legin You put those big girl pants on your posterior, you know.:egypdance:

@Birdie53 I have been considering that piece a great deal more lately myself wondering if the stress of surgery set me on a good monstrous flare. I think the first few weeks were taken up with the hip, and I didn't really focus on much else. Now that my hip feels great (really, the hip component of my pain is nil), everything else is raising it's ugly head like Nessie. I will consult the OS on Friday when I see him.

I had to call today and order more pain meds. I just can't do it without them, and I actually function quite famously with them. They don't seem to make me tired or more stupid then I normally am. :mcoffee: And, I can kinda, sorta walk like an upright human being...who has a sore leg...and is sort of hunched over...:old:

Hubby wanted to drag me to Petsmart this past weekend, and I said nosiree bob to that idea. Columbo and I had a nice weekend together, nevermind I can recite the lines I've seen them so much.

I'm back at work for real now, and I already couldn't get out of bed at 5:30am. I was half an hour "late", but that was pretty good considering...

Hope you're icing today!
Lynn
 
@Legin i know where to put those pants on. Just to clarify. Like big girl as in mature not whiney childlike. Not big girl as in large. Got it?

@LibraryLynn
Yes yes yes. The stress definitely attracted Nessie! Josephine confirmed that in my thread today. Makes perfect sense. I am still on with the pain meds too. The ones over and above my usual ones. I can get more movement done and sleep etc. makes no sense to be miserable when you are trying to get better. And you are at work which even doing the least you can is more stress and will wear you out and make that hip really angry.

Ha! Get the Petsmart challenge! I went to Target yesterday. Such a small,insignificant thing that I used to do-- now it's ice packs and meds and naps afterwards! Have to go to the dentist and eye doctor tomorrow. And drive 50 miles one way-- ridiculous-- my fear of dentists fund so deep that even when we moved I would not change my dentist. I will end on that thought!
Birdie53
 
9 weeks today! Although I have had the occasional setback and whine session--things have picked up again the last week. It seems like each outing which I have begun to use as my therapy sessions, has gotten easier with less pain and less exhaustion. Today had two different appts and was in the car a lot and there was really very little pain except getting in and out of the car. Wow! Mostly stiffness and soreness around incision when I sit. Oh and of course the swelling. Still there. The more I do the more it retaliates! I told someone it looked like my hip had a watermelon attached to it. Haha but there is much much less pain with the swelling. I think I am in acceptance or maybe tolerating it better.

So big news! I went to the dentist today and they would not clean my teeth. It seems that they say I need to wait six months from the time of surgery. Ok so I knew from the last surgery I had to take antibiotics but did not remember waiting 6 months. She called my surgeon but of course he was -- in surgery-- anyone else have this issue? But it seems you can get your eyes dilated so didn't miss that appt. hate getting my teeth cleaned anyway!

So am still on the post op pain meds but now I actually get pain relief.

Anyway whole reason for post is that I feel like I am doing much better. Going on short outings and have even been to the golf course doing a little putting. Today it was 83 degrees here. We have the weirdest weather!
Hoping to really hit the ball with a club in 4 more weeks. If it's not 35 degrees!
Good healing thoughts to everyone!
Birdie53
 
I remember around that 8 week mark when I started to feel like everything was slipping into place, physio was going good, I was using the right amount of pain meds, I took my first trip to get groceries by myself, I just felt like I was getting more freedom back which in turn made me start to feel some semblance of normal! So I happy to say " good for you"! Oh and by the way 35 degrees is almost summer short weather here, well at least Capri weather! Heeheee
My dentist says I have to wait 4 months after my surgery to have any dental work done and antibiotic, now my surgeon says 3 months and no antibiotics!
 
Well I.was told- rubs betwixt eyes. You ladies are doing sooooo.well. Good gradual I'm impressed doing so much better than I.would be as.patience isn't my virtue

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Do you ever feel like when you think you have turned a corner you just end up making a u-turn?

Oh ya-- dentist called and said my OS said it was fine to get my cleaning now as long as I took the antibiotics. Then they couldn't give me an appt again until April 1. Oh brother!

Here is a good one to close out the night! I got a bill today for a rolling walker.
Hahaha! They NEVER gave me a walker. I used the one I had from my first THR 7 years ago!
What else did I get billed for that I never knew about?!

Happy dreams!
Birdie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chortle. One. U turn soon followed by.another so you will be back on.track before you know it

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin I think that is illegal here in the U.S. Haha trying to see what that would look like.
Had to take a big step back today so I will try that illegal double u turn thing tomorrow!
 
Just blame the numpty from Scotland.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom