Revision THR Other side of hip revision--SWELLING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good report @Birdie53 great you've lost some of those restrictions.....re the icing....I used ice as a pain reliever up until about 6 months post op....my view is that it helped, it's not a drug...it can't do any harm & it certainly relieved swelling & pain!
I had Leg length discrepancy until about 9 months post THR...I was advised to keep using one crutch/cane until 6 months as I also limped & they felt it was my gait pre op that was causing it.... (They being physios)..... They were right!!
Hope you continue to do well...xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thx! I was excited to write that report!
I agree about the ice as a pain reliever etc. especially after going out and "over-doing"
He said we would address the leg length discrepancy In 6 more weeks. Not sure what that means.
He said that he was less worried about that when he did the surgery than in correcting the problems. Which I have to agree with now that I see the outcome.
Actually I had a discrepancy my whole life on that leg. It was always obviously shorter and I had a strange gait growing up. I think that is why the hip wore so fast and so strangely. He did make that leg longer the first time and it was great! I think he did the same this time but it just seems more than before. Swelling maybe?

I figure it will work its way out or I won't care once I see the revision has helped the other issues. My only worry is that the other hip is good and don't want that discrepancy to ruin it.
I value your input so much as well as the others I have had a chance to converse with.
Thanks a lot!
Birdie53
 
I tried walking in the pool today. It was pretty easy but afterwards was very painful and I was exhausted!
Wow and it was only for 15 minutes. Figured since I am usually very active it would be easier. Guess I will
Take 10 minutes next time. But it definitely is great therapy while you are doing it anyway.

7 weeks today. Honestly am feeling better everyday and I know I'm a broken record but still working with accepting the swelling issues! Blah blah blah!
Have a great day everyone!
Birdie 53
 
So glad you enjoyed the pool walking& feeling better every day @Birdie53 It feels like you've had a great workout & quite exhausting! Think it's all those muscles waking up after the op. Each time gets easier & easier.
I had the hydrotherapy because of my limp & LLD and it improved my gait so much & the LLD disappeared along with the limp.
I'm sure once that swelling goes down your pain will improve too. Take care. Chrissie x



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I did enjoy the water walking just maybe less time next time. Maybe it will be helpful with my LLD as well. I fear the swelling and I are going to be fighting for a while. Now it has also taken up residence in my ankle as well. Does that mean it will slide out my big toe eventually?
Thanks! You are always so encouraging!
Birdie53
 
Ok so kind of bummed! I was doing well. Swelling going down and walking without cane. Getting in and out of car easier etc. not sleeping as had too much pain at night. Then a week ago decided to go to the pool and since then have been exhausted and in more pain again--swelling went crazy. Now the foot and ankle decided to join the party! Oh yeah! Think of an elephants foot and ankle-- theirs looks dainty compared to mine-- ha not kidding.

On top of that the fibromyalgia has decided to flare up substantially. Probably the lack of movement and stress but the pain doc decided to up my fentanyl patch to 50 mcg-- It had taken me so long to get leveled out with that pain. I just want to scream. Between that and the throbbing in my femur and pain that has come back in the hip and the swelling I am a wreck! And a major whiner again. Not proud of myself at all. I usually do so well at keeping my issues to myself and staying calm, thinking things could always be worse ( which I know they could)

To top it off I had lunch with my friends yesterday and they are going on the first golf trip of the new year without me!!!

Ha maybe the fact that I don't know when I will be back enjoying my favorite things is getting me down too. What a baby! Ok I feel better now. I needed to whine to someone besides my husband. He is a very sweet man but I fear he may be tired of my moaning and groaning over silliness!

Better days ahead. Thanks to those who have listened to this rant!
Birdie
 
Sorry you are feeling bad.....perhaps you should give the pool a miss until the swelling goes down. A few days elevating & icing sounds better at the moment. Such a shame as you were feeling better @Birdie53 and I'm sure you will be on that next golf trip.
Xxxxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny thanks! That is exactly what I am doing. More icing , elevating and resting today. It was a hard day today but I think the new med dose may have finally kicked in. Ankle looks a little better as long as I am not on it! Gonna try pool again next week for a very very short time! Seems we all begin to think alike.
Have a good one!
Thanks for your positive words.
Birdie
 
Well you have a great day anyway x x x ah I think the birthday system is set a day out from us x x
 
I will surely do that! You know how we"broads" in our 50's like to hang on to every last day! Ha!
 
Would like to report that my Leg length discrepancy has changed quite a bit over the last couple of weeks. Less swelling and better muscle strength I think have contributed to that. I was feeling like I was standing in a hole for a while! Maybe that will be something positive for others who are having the issue.
Birdie
 
Birdie.....I'm glad to hear things are starting to settle for you. I'm sure you've figured out by now that the pool exercises really worked you over. It's amazing how just a "little bit" of overdoing it can take days to get resolved! It's just not fair, is it!!! But....slow and steady is the best path. You'll get there.
 
@Jamie thanks Jamie you are so right. I have slowed down again. I still am so bothered by the swelling. I went out for a short time today and took my shoe off in the car and couldn't get it back on. Couldn't see the bones in my ankle or foot. The OS said 3 months to a year for the swelling. Is anyone else having this problem? I am not reading it in any of the threads I've been following.
Been 8 weeks now.
 
Happy 54th birthday @Birdie53
That swelling will go down....I know 8 weeks seems a looooooong, loooong time but in the scheme of things...it's really not!
Have a good day.....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Happy Birthday @Birdie53 ...now Birdie54 :heehee: you young thing (I'm 55... until April, and yup, hanging on to every last day!) I haven't been having a lot of trouble with swelling since about 8 weeks, just pain/discomfort in the hamstring/glutes and psoas... that said I am currently sitting on my ice pack as a frantic shopping session (my own fault, poor time management!) this afternoon left the top of my leg and hip quite swollen :doh: but not any sorer than usual... I would even say LESS sore:shrug: The ice is helping with the swelling, but when I "found" it earlier it did bring to mind that my OS said the same thing as yours... that it could last up to 12 months. I'm glad it's summer as I was wearing loose shorts rather than tight jeans, that would have been more uncomfortable (but may also be the reason I haven't noticed any swelling... nothing to measure it by :dubious:)

I often get some swelling in my feet and ankles, hubby reckons it's my ridiculous shoes (I'm a shortie, I overcompensate sometimes, what can I say :eyebrows:) I have been known to take them off at the pictures then have to slip out barefoot at the end of the night... nobody sees me though (tall) hubby says :rotfl: I bought oversized shoes for recovery then didn't need them as my feet didn't really swell... I've cracked them out now as summer heat has puffed me tootsies up :snork: To be honest what probably does it is the fact that I just don't stop... I'm on the go ALL the time (geez I must be exhausting to be with :heehee:) I work from home and found getting up every 15 minutes or so helps with my concentration... now it's a habit! @Jamie is quite right... slow and steady is the way to go, take her advice - I know I should... as they say, "take my advice, I'm not using it":loll:

Enjoy that birthday :martini:
Donna
 
@Hoppy Nanny thank you for the birthday wishes! But mostly for your support. You think I would know that part about the swelling taking a long time. The same thing happened to me with the first THR. It did take almost a year for the ankle swelling to go down. Maybe because I was working then -- now I am retired and want to get back to my fun life! Don't have the patience for it. Or because I was only 46 then-- had much more patience!
Whatever. Thanks for reminding me. I have a thick skull and husband says I am very stubborn! Ha!
You guys are the best!

@craftdee thanks for the birthday wish. Went out to dinner-- almost slipped my foot out of the shoe under the table but was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back on! Haha! As I have said before I know from the last THR that it took a looonnnngggg time but I feel so restless about it this time. And this revision seems to have different pain and different swelling. It is winter here and I almost went out and bought a size bigger jeans-- but resisted and seem to be getting into a looser pair I already had. So I had the opposite problem-- last hip replacement was summer so I wore flip flops and shorts and didn't notice swelling as much except the ankles-- and I am 5'10 so flat shoes ok for me! Anyway have been wearing stretchy shoes and loose yoga pants. Getting tired of them but then I am retired so don't have to work and get dressed up. Oh the trials of being a woman!!!

Definitely the more you do the more you swell and hurt! Am impressed by you always being so busy! Today I de cided hubby's house cleaning was a sweet gesture but just not cutting for me! I used all the energy I had until I couldn't take it any more. I finally pooped out! It hurt hurt hurt. It was time for meds anyway. One positive note is that I notice I can recover a little faster with some rest and meds. Ok-- I feel I am rambling! Thanks for your words of support. I will try to stop complaining about the swelling for at least----- a week-----!!
Have a wonderful week!
Birdie(54)
 
@Birdie53 if you don't mind me asking, why did you need a revision after only 7 years? I only ask as I hope my THRs will outlast me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom