Guest viewing is limited

THR Oops I did something<

I had been having a little discomfort back in January. The first week of February I went to get a computer cart with a bad wheel. I sprained/strained my one year old right hip. Now I’m in pain all over again. Been off work for about three weeks. Physical therapy made things worse. Going back to surgeon April 12th. Any help or suggestions. Doctor prescribed a cream that has an NSAID in it four times a day. Help! Thank you
 
Only thing that helps me when my hip gets sore is rest. I'd say you strained muscles and have taken yourself backwards. Just do what you did after your THR, sit and ice. See what your OS says.
 
Lots of icing ... so sorry to hear of your pain. Hopefully nothing serious is wrong. I wonder if you can get to a hospital ER perhaps to get some quick x-rays to make sure the device is fine ... April 12 is a long time to wait. So agonizing to wait ... to get even basic clarity about what's going on ... also back to regular pain medication, it seems to me. Pain meds & icing and rest.
 
@spunky268
I'm sorry you hurt your hip again.
IT seems to have been giving you pain for some time now. Maybe it's time to seek further investigation, as April 12th is still some time away.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
The X-ray showed everything is still in place. I’m feeling better today. I did a good deal of walking over the weekend. So far there’s what I think is muscle soreness along the side of my hip. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
 
Can anyone tell me why this strain/sprain is taking so long to heal? I felt better last year after my THR. It seems as though I have a good day and the next day bad. I try not to overdo things but things need to be done. I go back to my doctors on April 12th but the xrays look good.
 
Sorry you are still hurting!:sad:
Can you show me where this pain is using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Oops I did something<



After that, I'd quite like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
Did you miss this chart Jo left for you?
It may give her a clue to whether it could be bursitis or some other problem?
It's in the attachment above but here it is again.

[Bonesmart.org] Oops I did something<
 
Last edited:
Ok. The most discomfort comes from the groin area V R2F and VWXY R1F. That’s the best I can figure out. Thank you.
 
@Josephine
Spunky is still having pain is willing to answer questions.
There has been a tad of a lapse between interactions so she would love for you to review.
 
Thank you Josephine. I will definitely try the exercises tomorrow. I remember some from my physical therapy days. Something has to help because I recovered more easily from my THR.
 
I had been having a little discomfort back in January. The first week of February I went to get a computer cart with a bad wheel. I sprained/strained my one year old right hip. Now I’m in pain all over again. Been off work for about three weeks. Physical therapy made things worse. Going back to surgeon April 12th. Any help or suggestions. Doctor prescribed a cream that has an NSAID in it four times a day. Help! Thank you
I did not remember you actually strained/sprained your hip. And Jo probably didn't either. Though she described the areas of your discomfort, not sure she would think exercises would help but I really don't know. Let's check with her first... @Josephine ?
Not sure if I would resume any exercises until you go to your OS in a few weeks.
 
Thank you. I’m so frustrated that I don’t know what to do. Doctor said rest of which I have been doing. But whenever I do almost anything it ends up hurting. I am on workers compensation as I finally realize I reinjuted it while pushing a computer cart at work.
 
I was told that the psoas (if that's part of what's involved for you) is one of the difficult muscles to calm down after a strain/sprain. You use it so much. For 4 weeks I was told to walk no more than necessary and not do anything else. I was supposed to use my hands to lift the leg if it needed to be raised. In my case, it felt better during that time but went back to hurting once I started doing anything other than massage. So mine wasn't just a strain/sprain. I'd take it easy and baby it for a while and see if it gets better.
 
@spunky268---I know I had questions about the wisdom/safety of doing stretches early on because I knew I should not be doing traditional exercises, and I wasn't sure if stretches were included in that.

I had a physical therapist after my back surgery who always made a distinction between stretches and other exercises, which helped me learn how to properly do them, and why they are helpful/important.

I asked about stretching here on the forum after my hip replacement and was advised that gentle stretches were safe. I have found them to be very helpful with some of the pains that have cropped up since my surgery, and hope some gentle stretching will help you as well. If not, can you maybe get your appointment moved sooner? You sound so overwhelmed---I know I would be too. :console2:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom